Thought I would be in my house forever.. Not so much. Company wants me to transfer. How can I get my house ready?

Asked by Sb, Kansas City, MO Thu Apr 19, 2012

Answers

10
Fred Yancy, Agent, Woodstock, GA
Sun May 20, 2012
5 Things to do Before Putting Your Home on the Market

Have a pre-sale home inspection.
Be proactive by arranging for a pre-sale home inspection. An inspector will be able to give you a good indication of the trouble areas that will stand out to potential buyers, and you’ll be able to make repairs before open houses begin.

Organize and clean.
Pare down clutter and pack up your least-used items, such as large blenders and other kitchen tools, out-of-season clothes, toys, and exercise equipment. Store items off-site or in boxes neatly arranged in the garage or basement. Clean the windows, carpets, walls, lighting fixtures, and baseboards to make the house shine.

Get replacement estimates.
Do you have big-ticket items that are worn our or will need to be replaced soon, such your roof or carpeting? Get estimates on how much it would cost to replace them, even if you don’t plan to do it yourself. The figures will help buyers determine if they can afford the home, and will be handy when negotiations begin.

Find your warranties.
Gather up the warranties, guarantees, and user manuals for the furnace, washer and dryer, dishwasher, and any other items that will remain with the house.

Spruce up the curb appeal.
Pretend you’re a buyer and stand outside of your home. As you approach the front door, what is your impression of the property? Do the lawn and bushes look neatly manicured? Is the address clearly visible? Are pretty flowers or plants framing the entrance? Is the walkway free from cracks and impediments?
Anita Trozzo…, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Sun May 20, 2012
My cell is 816-651-3003. Please feel free to call at your earliest convenience.
Anita Trozzo…, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Sun May 20, 2012
You don't have to use their realtor. Please feel free to call me at 816-51-3003 to discuss your options.
Justsmile, Home Buyer, Kansas City, MO
Sat May 19, 2012
i might be interested in buying your home. when are you planning to sell it?
Sb, Home Seller, Kansas City, MO
Thu Apr 19, 2012
Thanks- Well they just told me they HAVE realtors to help, because my company pays the fees and closing cost. "whew"
Next question is, do I need to use theirs, or do they pay anyones fees.

Stay tuned
"Whew" indeed! That can be very helpful for you so it may prove that your company has a great relocation package. Generally speaking, if the company says they have REALTORs to help, it is probably due to them working through a relocation company that already contracts with certain REALTORs in the area (e.g. SIRVA or CARTUS). It still is going to be up to you check with your company to see what you can and can't do. Sometimes you will be allowed to hire a REALTORof your choice to see if they can sell the property before you have to turn it over to the company. In some instances, the company will buy your house from you if it isn't sold by the time you have to relocate so you are able to purchase a home in your new community. When that happens, they decide who they will use to sell your home because it is now out of your hands. Other times they will know what real estate brokerage they want you to use and you are assigned a REALTOR from that brokerage. Keep asking!
Flag Thu Apr 19, 2012
Ed Rippee, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Thu Apr 19, 2012
My first thought is...bummer! Nothing like having life throw you a curve ball that takes you out of your comfort zone! You have excellent guidance in the previous answers and, if I may be so bold, you now have three agents to call in and see what they may be able to do for you. Kimberly's advice for your first step, however, is very important. Does your company have a relocation package? If so, do they require that you use a particular real estate firm? Those are definitely the primary questions to answer before seeking assistance from any REALTORs. If you are able to choose your own REALTOR, then, please, give us a call and we'll come out and show you what we can do to not only get your house sold here but to also help you find one wherever you are moving to.

Blessings,
Ed Rippee, CSP, WHS, CDPE
RE/MAX Results
816-213-9362
http://www.edrippee.com
Kimberly A.…, , Severna Park, MD
Thu Apr 19, 2012
Is the company offering a relocation package? I would check that first and find out if you are supposed to use a particular real estate firm. Then you should think about staging your home, less is more but don't take out everything. Clean the front, do touch up paint, make sure door handles work and lightbulbs illuminate. Clean , clean, clean. Find all your warrenty's for appliances and any type of termite paperwork etc.
The relo company may require three appraisals.They may also allow you to bring in your own real estate agent. I am sure there are a ton of good ones in your area.
Rich DeGeorge, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Thu Apr 19, 2012
I recommend you have a realtor take a look at your home. I'm available to both make suggestions on getting it ready to put on the market and do a market analysis to determine the optimum pricing for your home. Please give me a call. Cell 816-547-9568 or office 816-268-4405

Rich DeGeorge
Keller Williams Northland Partners
Erin Joynt, Agent, Westminster, CO
Thu Apr 19, 2012
I have included an article from REALTOR.com that might be useful for you to get started. Working with an agent is also one of the best things for you, since they can see your home and give personalized suggestions. It looks like Anita (commented below) is in your area, and has a great deal of experience. It can't hurt to give her a call!
Anita Trozzo…, Agent, Kansas City, MO
Thu Apr 19, 2012
I been selling homes in Kansas City area for 8 years. Please call me so I we can meet to tour your home. I will give you options. I also have a stager that I work closely with, that will also give you excellent ideas. I noticed your zip code is in the northland. I work and live in the area. Looking forward to hearing from you soon! My cell is 816-651-3003.