The house was moved to its present location during the 1960s because of I-495 construction What does that mean?

Asked by J, 01581 Mon Sep 28, 2009

Answers

4
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Sat Oct 3, 2009
Many times a family will purchase a older home and have entire home lifted on truck relocated to another area of town. expensive many restrictions apply.

National Featured Realtor and Consultant, Texas Mortgage Loan Officer, Credit Repair Lecturer
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/Lynn911
Lynn911

http://www.lynn911.com
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sat Oct 3, 2009
J,

This means the structure was moved from its original site to the present location. It also may mean that the foundation and cellar were upgraded.

Our recommendation is with any offer to purchase an addendum be considered to specifically account for this adjustment that would include a "structural inspection" performed by a structural engineer.

Rachelle Kni…, , Orange, MA
Mon Sep 28, 2009
J,
April's answer is correct-one other thing to remember is that if you reach the home inspection stage with a home that has been moved make certain you've informed the inspector about it... there may be specific problems or issues they would look at more seriously in that situation. As I'm sure you can imagine, cutting a house into big chunks (often they separate the house by floor) and moving it puts unusual stress on the house- after all, they aren't designed with that in mind!
Plus, if you ever have a chance to see a house being moved, stop and check it out. It's a really cool process.
April Crowder, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Mon Sep 28, 2009
It just means the home was originally build in a different location. When I-495 was constructed, someone moved the house to its current location. Usually the exterior of the home is removed before it is moved and then at the new location, the home gets a new exterior and foundation.