The home I am renting is up for Sheriff sale, What happens next?

Asked by William Torres, 08046 Thu Aug 11, 2011

Answers

13
Valerie Pres…, Agent, Medford, NJ
Thu Aug 11, 2011
Do you have a written lease? In New Jersey, even a foreclosure cannot terminate a written lease as long as you are paying the rent. You would have to start paying the rent to the bank, but once the lease term expires, they can ask you to leave with a proper amount of notice. Do you think you can qualify to purchase the house yourself? I can help your landlord do a short sale and you could possibly purchase the house! Have your landlord contact me. I've done a lot of short sales. If you don't think you would qualify, I can help you find another rental. Better to start looking now than to be rushed.
Hi my name is kemuel Vegas I have been living at this property for al.ost a year and have put money into the property what steps can i take because my landlord won't answer I haven't heard of them either what steps can i take in Phil'a pa to stay with the property they very little in taxes and want to keep paying the payments on the house as far as taxes go I really need help if not I will be in the streets with my fiance and new born
Flag Wed Sep 13, 2017
Rachelhowe20…, Home Buyer, Plantation, FL
Wed Oct 18, 2017
I live in WA state

Ok, so the condo we live in is in foreclosure. The first letter said that if the owner didn't pay what he owed by 9/25, then it was going to auction on 10/6. Then we got a notice from the sheriffs office that the condo complex is having their own auction, which is scheduled for 11/3. We got letter from the bank saying that the auction scheduled for 10/6 has been postponed to 11/17. My question is, at this point do we have to pay rent? We didn't pay Octobers rent yet, because we thought the auction was happening on 10/6 and I spent the money on bills I was behind on. The owner now wants rent, but I am not sure he even owns the condo anymore, and when you look it up on auction.com it shows it is for sale. What should I do?
Padotman, Home Buyer, Willingboro, NJ
Wed Oct 4, 2017
I am looking to buy a home in NJ there is a renter there and is stopping us from looking in rooms ,closets ETC . as a renter can they do this ?
Sherry Hanlon, Renter, Easton, PA
Fri Jul 28, 2017
I live in Easton. Sheriff posted sign on door. Can I move out a month early. Lease is up oct 1 st. Moving sept 1 st. Can I move all my belongings? Thank you sherry. My rent is paid early for August already.
Elijah501993, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Fri Jul 14, 2017
The home I renting is up for sheriff sale
thinz, Agent, Allenhurst, NJ
Tue Jan 12, 2016
Usually the sheriff will be by in about 2 weeks following the sheriff sale to clear out the units.
So you should make plans accordingly. Tom Hinz http://www.shortsaletosell.com thinz@apexgroupus.com
Nluciano, Home Buyer, Willingboro, NJ
Thu Jan 7, 2016
after the sherif sale how much time do i need to vacate the house
spearspm, Renter, Prairieville, LA
Mon May 19, 2014
THE HOUSE I AM WAS BUYING FROM OWNER IS UP FOR SHERIFF SALE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT. IM IN LOUISIANA
Ines De La C…, Agent, Marlton, NJ
Fri Aug 12, 2011
Hello Steelersnjfan,
Thanks for your question.
Sheriff Sale is the last step in the foreclosure. The bank is taking the house back.
Do you have a written lease? If you do they can not change the locks on you or they may offer you cash for keys.
Depending on what new owner wants they may contact you and ask you to leave but they have to give you the standard notice so you can find a new place.
Is there a chance you may want to buy this home? You should probably start looking for another home so you do have time to find a place you like. Contact me if you would like a list of homes available for rent/sale or to assist you with any other questions you may have.
Ines De La Cruz, Realtor, ABR
RE/MAX Connection
inesdelacruz@remax.net
Web Reference:  http://www.inesdelacruz.com
Marsha Bowen…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Thu Aug 11, 2011
It might not be a bad idea to do some investigation as to whether the investor that owns the loan on the home you are renting is a Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac loan. If the landlord is willing to disclose this information, you might be able to continue to rent the home. There are discussions taking place on allowing renters to rent foreclosed homes after the foreclosure action has taken place.

You will likely have some time to decide on your next move as the eviction process doesn't happen overnight.

Laura Gianno…, Agent, Manahawkin, NJ
Thu Aug 11, 2011
Please review this document in the link below...it details the rights of New Jersey tenants renting properties that are in foreclosure.

http://www.state.nj.us/dca/divisions/codes/publications/pdf_…

Laura Giannotta
Lola Grace, , Willingboro, NJ
Thu Aug 11, 2011
Ultimately you will have to move. When a home goes to Sheriff Sale that means the owner/landlord lost the home to foreclosure (non-payment). If and when a person buys the property at the Sheriff Sale they will have the right to have you the tenant evicted if after the proper time you do not leave on your own. They are not obligated to renew your lease. The new owner may wish to occupy the property. Please feel free to contact me directly to assist you with finding a new "home". Lola Grace, Imani Realty & Associates
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Thu Aug 11, 2011
In 2009 Obama signed a Tenant Protection Bill:
They cannot just show up at your door and ask you to leave; they have to give you some time, and I believe that they will offer you some "Cash for Keys" whicj will insure a timely move and no damage to the house.

You probably have 5-6 weeks.

Good luck and may God bless