Termite Re-inspection during selling home

Asked by Cuilgypsy, 94086 Wed May 9, 2012

Termite company (A) performed an inspection and stated some issues in the report,
I was looking for some help to understand .
I completed the Section 1 work with Company (B), do I need to call back again Termite company (A) to perform the re-inspection ?
If yes would the re-inspection fees similar to the original inspection cost.

Appreciate your help and response.

Answers

10
Monica Goyal…, , Cupertino, CA
Wed May 9, 2012
You can attach the work completion report by Company (B) to show that the work was done. Termite company (A) will come out for a nominal fee to re-inspect and provide the report. Usually this re-inspection fee is very small. Contact the termite company (A) to get their quote.

Monica Goyal
James Ryan, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Leesburg, VA
Thu May 10, 2012
If company (B) completed a treatment, and issues a guarantee, even disclosing both initial reports to the buyer (a good thing) should pose no problems. The guarantee from company (B) should allow everyone to breathe easy and close on time.
Best wishes, Jim
Michelle Gon…, Agent, Los Alamitos, CA
Wed May 9, 2012
The company that did the work would issue the completion report. FYI if you are in escrow you are required to provide copies of BOTH termite reports to the buyer and disclose the findings from both reports.
Michael Robe…, Agent, San Ramon, CA
Wed May 9, 2012
Hi Cuilgypsy, Nila gave a cogent answer to you earlier. I would reiterate a couple things others have posted.

Of course, there is the customary question of 'what is the intent defined within the contract and did you meet your intended obligation?' Both in your home sale contract and that of the pest control provider.

First, there is no way any one person can know or tell a business as to what or how much they are should charge. This means you will probably see the re-inspection fee charged to you by Co. A. I wouldn't expect them to waive any fee. Remember, they did not get to do the work they bid on and have no profit to donate to your cause, beyond the money from the initial inspection.

Second, I would have made it clear from the beginning that you were going to keep the option of using another vendor if their costs were not affordable for you at this time. That way they have a better opportunity to choose the path to gain your business.

Third, Warranty probably has no standing here since, you are selling and moving out.

If you are obligated to provide Sec1 clearance to your buyer per any addendum or agreement within a contract then I would say you have met that obligation. Which leads us back to my previous question.

Which leads me to ponder; this is the essential purpose of having a full time Real Estate professional represent you. These questions rarely occur in the end...because the pitfalls are addressed in the beginning. I am sure your agent will help you.

Michael
http://LosGatosHomesandRealEstateBlog.com
Andrea Wince…, Agent, Milpitas, CA
Wed May 9, 2012
If your contract of sale requires Section One clearance then you may have to pay for a re-inspection report in which the cost is usually less than the initial inspection. Ask your Realtor what your contract requires.
Nina Daruwal…, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Wed May 9, 2012
Hi Cuilgypsy,

Are you doing this for the Sale of a property....or just to clean up your home? If it for a Sale, consult your Realtor....
If not, then 1)Has company B done the work and given you a Termite Section 1 Clearance report? 2)Call company A for a re-inspection, only if you think you want one....specially if there were areas not inspected due to personal property/storage of things etc or in-accessibility of areas not inspected to start with....Company A should not charge you a full fee but part fee for a re-inspection and supplemental report.
All the Best,
Nina Daruwalla
Web Reference:  http://www.ninadaruwalla.com
Nila Patel, Agent, Sunnyvale, CA
Wed May 9, 2012
It depends on if Company B is a reputable licensed Pest control company to treat/repair section 1 items. If that is the case, company B should be able to issue a Clearance Report. If Company B cannot issue the Clearance Report then you would have to ask Company A to issue a Clearance Report. Most licensed companies would not issue a Clearance Report on other companies' work and if they do they will not guarantee work done by other companies.
Re-inspection fees would not be similar to the original inspection and depending on a company sometimes it might be waived.
Robert Lei, Agent, Cupertino, CA
Wed May 9, 2012
Company B's invoice should already show that you performed all the necessary Section 1 items.

Before Company B even did the work, didn't they do their own reinspection for free? Usually termite companies do not charge for reinspection because they are happy that you are giving them the opportunity to bid for the section1 work that you need completed.
Marcy Moyer, Agent, Palo Alto, CA
Wed May 9, 2012
If company B is not a termite firm then you should call Company A to come back and re-inspect to to give Sect 1 clearance. If Company B is a termite company they can give the clearance, but I assume they are not or you would not be asking this question. If you paid the money to get the work done you might as well get the credit for it,
Marcy Moyer
DRE 01191194
Web Reference:  http://www.marcymoyer.com
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed May 9, 2012
I would suggest that if you used a reputable company to do the work, the itemized invoice should be sufficient to satisfy the Schedule 1 requirement.
I would just submit a copy of the Invoice to the Buyer's Agent and not ask for trouble; just let it go.
If they complain, then you can deal with it; but you did satisfy it. You are not required to use Company A.

Good luck and may God bless