Tax implications for a US Citizen married to non-citizen; moving to Europe

Asked by Sarah, Massachusetts Mon Dec 7, 2009

I'm a US citizen married to a non-citizen who has a green card. We're moving to Europe. We jointly own a house in MA and I'm wondering what the tax implications are after we move since his green card will lapse? Should we transfer the house into my name only? We plan to sell out house, but it won't happen until after we move.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Elizabeth He…, Agent, Agawam, MA
Tue Jan 12, 2010
I'm a member of the International Real Estate Federation/FIABCI and I'm a licensed Realtor in MA.

If you still need assistance, I can be reached at
0 votes
CCC, Home Owner, San Diego, CA
Mon Dec 7, 2009
Tax implicatios, check with your Tax accountant. I will say it will has more to do with Occupying the property or Renting (invetment property). In your example, either you keep the property vacant (check with the city about vacant properties regulations) or getting income from it.

About selling, in Minnesota both are owners, so both signatures are required. Check with your State regulations about selling requirements.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more