Supra key

Asked by Landon Lapack, Alhambra, CA Thu Sep 11, 2008

have a valid CA Broker's License, but I have not joined any associations as this is my second job. Can I legally still buy and sell real estate and how do I obtain a Supra key?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Keith Sorem’s answer
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Thu Sep 11, 2008
You have some very good answers. It sounds to me as though you need a little more information regarding practicing real estate. I suggest talking with an established broker to find out their recommendations, in particular regarding Errors and Omissions Insurance.

There is a lot more to be concerned about than a Supra Key.

If you need a referral contact via my Trulia profile.
1 vote
Eva Liland, , Canyon Country, CA
Thu Sep 11, 2008
Yep, to get your Supra key, you got to be a member, no ifs ands or buts about it. Personally, I was chocked att the membership fees (over $800) and I reluctantly forked it over. However, if you want to be able to show homes effortlessly, a Supra is a pure neccessity.

Having worked for mobile home dealers for years and years and then doing the same thing, (with a Realtor license) selling mobile homes in parks, a Supra is super valuable!

Take the plunge (as I did). Lots of money but you also get a lot of free training and much, much more. On the other hand, since you say real estate is your part time business, maybe you could find a local Realtor who would accompany you on a showing, for you to pay part of that Realtors expenses. Unless you are at the foodbank, NOBODY "eats" for free :-)'
0 votes
Ute Ferdig, Agent, Auburn, CA
Thu Sep 11, 2008
Hello Landon. It's my understanding that you have to belong to at least 1 Association or Board of Realtors to be able to subscribe to MLS services and then you can rent a Supra key. You don't have to be a member of an association to be able to sell real estate if you have an active CA real estate license, but without MLS membership, it will be difficult to access the properties. This may not be a big problem if you buy and sell for yourself, but if you are trying to serve clients, not having access is much more of a problem. If you are just interested in buying and selling your own real estate, you don't even need a license. I am sure you have a friend with a Supra key and perhaps you could pay your friend to just show you the properties that you are interested in buying. Good luck to you.
1 vote
Monique & Joe…, Agent, Beverly Hills, CA
Thu Sep 11, 2008
Hello Landon,

You should hang your liscense somewhere. If you are a broker than if you don't hang your license you should get E&O insurance. In order to get a SUPRA key you generally need to belong to a board.


Monique Carrabba
Keller Williams Wilshire
1 vote
Alex Montelo…, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Wed May 27, 2015
I don't think that there is any way around being a board member of a Real Estate Assoc. these days. The fees are minimal $800-$1000 depending. When you are selling real estate on a regular basis, it is a drop in the bucket. Who knows, maybe at some point Real Estate will become your primary job.

Good luck,

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cell
BRE Lic #01456982
0 votes
Jeremy Weinb…, Agent, Longwood, FL
Wed Oct 2, 2013
Supra aka GE the MLS and the Boards have regulated our industry so there is no way around not paying your Board the MLS and GE in order to show and sell real estate. I have checked personally with GE to see if there is a way that non-members can purchase the Supra key and they say you have to go through your association.

Another option you have as an agent who does not want to pay the hefty fees to be a Realtor is placing your license under a real estate referral company. Take a look at http:/// for a company that pays back top dollar on your referrals.
0 votes
William Tong, Agent, Arcadia, CA
Mon Sep 17, 2012
If you're in Alhambra, then you should join the West San Gabriel Valley Association of Realtors. It's one of the best associations in Southern California.

"I'm not just a member, I'm... well... I'm a member" so I know it's a great association ;D
(All of my agents are members and my family members are also members of this association.)

On a side note, if you have a valid license and are doing real estate as a second job just give me a call. I am well experienced with broker referrals (aka sending you cash for your referrals) and I would take great care of any clients you wanted to refer to me (treating them how I would want to be treated).

Good luck!

DRE# 01903501
Golden Land Investments & Financial, Inc.
0 votes
raymond mort…, Agent, charlotte, NC
Sun Aug 28, 2011
Have you heard the saying nothing invested nothing gained... For the potential gain the cost of a supra key and board membership is peanuts. If you want to become a productive Broker, pay the fees and start selling, otherwise you are just prending to be a Broker and wasting your time because you cannot service your clients without the proper tools.. Ever tried fixing a flat tire with a hand held air pump and no jack? I didn't think so
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more