Staging an empty house?

Asked by Jayne D., Franklin, TN Mon Nov 24, 2008

Are there local companies who will stage an empty house?

Answers

6
kimberly-hod…, , Nashville, TN
Mon Nov 24, 2008
Call Phyllis Turpen here in Nashville (615) 569-9232...she's very good!
Web Reference:  http://www.tennesseesmls.com
Sandra Bouch…, , 02038
Mon Nov 24, 2008
Hi Jayne,
Sandra Bouchard of Design by Redesign responding to your question. My business is located in Franklin and I specialize in preparing homes for sale/resale. My website is: definebyredesign.com. please feel free to view my site as it addresses many questions/concerns that home sellers and Realtors have. In addition, I have access to furniture rental for vacant homes as well as the ability to use what one has for staging furnished properties.
Please feel free to contact me for additional information.
Best of luck.
Judy Boyle, Agent, Marlborough, MA
Mon Nov 24, 2008
Hi Jane,

I am a professional home stager and would welcome the opportunity to give you a free estimate...assuming your are in Franklin, MA that is! Thanks!

Judy Boyle
Lisa DeMaio, Agent, Millis, MA
Mon Nov 24, 2008
Another approach would be to stage the front entry and the rooms in the line of site as you step into the front foyer. Since first impressions are key in this market, its essential to stage the home properly. The word is out on staging and you can bet your competition is staging so its essential to stay on an even playing ground. The key is to get the staging done without breaking the bank. My stager is very reasonable and as a professional I agent, I have a policy of reimbursing my clients for the "staging consult cost" at the closing. Give me a ring if you want any more free advice (cell 508 561 4884.) The last home I sold was properly staged and priced and sold in 6 days!
Web Reference:  http://www.lisademaio.com
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Mon Nov 24, 2008
Jayne - this post says "Franklin" and there are many Franklins that I know of, and probably many more that I don't. However, you can look at the web page I listed below and hopefully find one. If you don't find one, email me directly (vchrisner@kw.com) with the county and state where you're located and I will tap into my database to see if I can get a referral from an agent in that area.

In any case... be careful... think budget. Staging is critical for some homes, especially if they have ackward spaces. But, if you don't price it right, it won't sell anyway and you'll be throwing money away.
Web Reference:  http://www.stagedhomes.com/
Michael Lefe…, Agent, Westborough, MA
Mon Nov 24, 2008
Jayne-

2 schools of thought on this:

1) Staging an empty home lets buys visualize life in the home, and
2) An empty home appears larger and lets buyers imagine their stuff in there better.

I would contend that in this market, more important than staging is price. You NEED to be priced correctly. Otherwise you will become frustrated and ride the market down with price reductions. If you need to sell, price it accordingly. If you just want to see what kind of offers you can get, now may not be the best time for that approach.

I am listing a vacant home in Norfolk later today and we all agreed that getting the price right on, and coming in slightly ahead of the rest of the market, was a better strategy than trying to make the home look "cozy and lived in".

Don't worry too much about staging vs. non-staging an empty home in my opinion, just get the price right. Hope that help! Good luck...

Mike