Should you paint your home before you list it? If so, what about the color selection?

Asked by Frank Dolski, Lahaska, PA Sat Nov 3, 2012

Painting, staging, de-cluttering and preparing your home for sale is a must! So let me focus on painting. I've heard, that "buyers can paint it their way because they may not like the colors that are picked." This was true many years ago because most buyers and some still have vision but most want the home in almost move-in condition. It is a fact that a staged, painted and prepared home sells in a shorter period of time and for more money. I provide professional stagers at no cost to the seller to devise a staging report and most importantly, help them to pick the proper paint colors. Why not pick an expert to help you pick colors? I have sold more homes that were withdrawn or expired and all they really need was painting and in some cases some minor staging.
So, I cannot emphasize enough the importance of painting prior to listing your home. It is money well spent! What do you see in a new construction model home? Lots of color!

Answers

2
Christina Ro…, , Kingwood, TX
Tue Nov 13, 2012
Absolutely, painting is one of the most inexpensive home improvements. Especially when preparing your home for sell. Neutral color palette is the common phrase tossed around in the staging industry, however not everything needs to be beige. Grey is a neutral too. Our best friend with color and also our challenger is natural light. When color is used in these spaces it can either look very powerful or soothing. I am happy to see Agents support the market of Home Staging! Thank you.
Tracy Robins…, Agent, Yardley, PA
Tue Nov 13, 2012
Frank...should you paint a house before listing it. I would say yes because like staging a paint job will most likely get sold before a unpainted property (using comps). A paint job will give a house a fresh new look. Hope that helps you.

Tracy Robinson-Realtor
KELLER WILLIAMS PREFERRED
62 South Main Street
Yardley, Pa. 19067
Office Ph: 215-493-0200 ext 1087
Direct Ph: 267-395-0251
tracyrobinson@kw.com