Should you be there when your home is being shown to buyers?

Asked by Trulia Atlanta, Atlanta, GA Fri May 17, 2013

Answers

15
Brandon Rains, Agent, Lawrenceville, GA
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Unless there is a very good reason otherwise, the answer in my opinion is "no". I always make it a point to knock before entering, and every time I do my buyer will ask, "are they home?", clearly hoping not. The fact is this, it IS uncomfortable for the buyer, who will likely rush through the home which is not serving the best interests of the seller.

Good question - and in my mind, the answer is clear - always best for the seller to be away - if difficult then just step out for the showing - but out of the house, not into the next room.

Brandon Rains
Atlanta Partners
678.694.7653
Web Reference:  http://www.brandonrains.com
John Juarez, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sat May 18, 2013
The presence of the sellers during a visit by potential buyers tends to stifle the open conversation among buyers and their agent in regard to the features and shortcomings of the property.

Some sellers hover over buyers. Others tend to be “tour guides”. Some point out features that are of importance to them but not of interest to the buyers.

In general, the sellers do best when the absent themselves from the property during showing.
Stephanie Mc…, Agent, Canton, GA
Thu Aug 29, 2013
I believe that sellers who insist on remaining in the property for showings are doing themselves a great disservice. I cannot recall EVER selling a home to a buyer when the homeowner was there - the buyer just doesn't connect or even feel they really had a good look at the house. They are uncomfortable and just dashing through the house. Leaving is much better and will result in a faster sale and possibly even a higher price.
Maria Cipoll…, Agent, Coral Springs, FL
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Homes that don't get show, don't get sold. Generally speaking, is better when the property is clean and available all times and even better if the seller is not there. Buyers often fantasize about living in that house and enjoying their backyard by entertaining and spending time outside.

Best of Luck,

Maria Cipollone

http://www.Flahomespecialist.com
Joe Feudi, Home Seller, Ho Ho Kus, NJ
Wed Aug 28, 2013
Usually buyers are more comfortable without.Unless you are selling it yourself.
Appraisal By…, Other Pro, Atlanta, GA
Wed Aug 28, 2013
I'm an appraiser and I wouldn't recommend you being present when a buyer is viewing the home. However, I do recommend you being at the home when an appraiser is present. At times, there are questions that the appraiser might have about your home.
Sally English, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Thu Aug 22, 2013
This is a no brainer for anyone with negotiating experience. No, do not be present. You will do much more harm than good. Plus the buyer will use the opportunity to point out defects and other deficencies as fodder for a low ball offer.
Mike Penning…, Agent, Woodstock, GA
Wed May 29, 2013
A house for sale with the homeowners on site is like test driving a used car that has not been washed and still has the kids "Happy Meal" leftovers in the backseat.
Joseph Roraff, Agent, Onalaska, WI
Sat May 18, 2013
Sellers should not be there. It's just awkward.
Lee Taylor, Agent, Decatur, GA
Sat May 18, 2013
Are you kidding?

Trulia Atlanta - I'm too busy to delve into Trulia's activities in other major cities. All I know is that Trulia Atlanta is a softballer - your questions are dumb.

I showed a $500K house on Amsterdam in VAHI this past week. This smelly dude was sleeping in the master bedroom - he waved me and my buyers - a Father, Mother , daughter and Grandfather to simply come on in.

Another dude was downstairs working on his laptop.

Reedonkulous...just like you, Trulia Atlanta.
Ava Anderson, Agent, Snellville, GA
Fri May 17, 2013
I think it's important for the seller to leave so that the new buyer can get a feel of the house and imagine themselves living in the house.
Missy Koefod,…, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Fri May 17, 2013
The best thing to do is to create an atmosphere where the buyer can see themselves living in the home. This includes de-cluttering, de-personalizing, and stepping out so they feel comfortable in the home and feel ok taking their time. Additionally, the more time the buyers send in your home, the less time they are spending in other seller's homes!

To help my listing clients get their homes ready for sale and attract the most offers and the highest offers, I provide them with a professional home stager who sets the home up in the most visually appealing way possible. In my experience, it definitely helps to sell a home.

If you have any questions or would like a consultation, feel free to contact me at missy@commongroundrealestate.com or at (912)220-1878.
Dominique Br…, Agent, Buford, GA
Fri May 17, 2013
Absolutely NOT! This makes the Buyer completely uncomfortable. You want prospective buyers to feel an emotional attachment to the home and this is best done without tension and pressure felt from the Seller's presence.
Julie Britta…, Agent, Dunwoody, GA
Fri May 17, 2013
NO!!!! Go away!!! When you're there, the Buyer is afraid to open closets, cabinets, turn on lights, etc... I always ask my Sellers to step outside when the agent arrives if the agent gave them a 2-3 hour window. I also don't think YOU should be completely put out while your home is listed.

Good luck!! :)

Julie
Michael Cheng, Agent, San Jose, CA
Fri May 17, 2013
No, it's usually counter-productive to be there.
Web Reference:  http://www.archershomes.com