Jared S.,  in Minneapolis, MN

Should we build a new garage or replace our dated aluminum siding?

Asked by Jared S., Minneapolis, MN Sun Jun 22, 2014

We would like to sell our house within the next year or so. We have $10,000 to spend on making our house "ready for market" but can't decide which is a better way to spend it. My husband would like to replace our siding. It is old forest green aluminum. The interior of our house is beautiful but from the outside no one would think this. People always walk in pleasantly surprised...which I don't know if that is a good thing or bad.

I would like to spend the money to build a garage. While we have no desire for one for ourselves I think most buyers won't consider a house that has absolutely no outside storage... let alone lacking a garage.

We could afford to do both projects but worry about spending more than what we could ever get for a house in our neighborhood. If we did them both DIY and could see a 100% ROI I would do both.

Answers

5
Murphy Team, Agent, Portland, ME
Thu May 7, 2015
I would replace the siding to increase the curb appeal.
Caleb Hart, Renter, Orem, UT
Wed May 6, 2015
I think I would talk to a real estate agent if I were you. They seem to know what kind of houses are selling and the things that are on them. Hopefully, you can get your money back when you sell the house. I would ask around and get some advice from people in your area. http://www.allstategutter.com/siding/
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sun Jun 22, 2014
Jared,
If you went on the market tomorrow, what does your competition look like? Do they have garages and aluminum siding or no garage but updated siding? So much of the decision has to be made based on your local market. I imagine Prescott WI has some very different priorities than Prescott AZ.
The best return for any updates comes from the least expensive things that the average homeowner can do themselves. Clean, neat, nice yard and curb appeal. Update anything non-functional or worn out. Buyer's generally aren't interested in buying someone else's projects. They want a clean slate to personalize for their family. When there are projects, they want to be compensated through a lower price to justify their effort and expense.
If you take these on yourselves, only do them if you can do a real nice professional job. "Homeowners Specials" are projects that look like someone read a book or watched some HGTV but hadn't worked with tools much in their lives.
Let us know what you decide.
The competition has nice siding and larger garages than our lot could even take on. The biggest issue is the inside looks like a 300k home while the outside looks like a 150k home.
Flag Sun Jun 22, 2014
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Sun Jun 22, 2014
Hi Jared

I would consider repainting the aluminum siding
The are paints available now a days that go on Metal or Old siding.
It will be more cost effective.

Check with Home Depot or Lowes.

Then go ahead and add on the garage.

A home has to show well, and has to make a great first impression.

Home prices should continue to rise for next 2 years at least.

Hence, in my Opinion best to Address siding first and next the Garage.

It's likely in the next two years you will recoupe your investment plus make ten percent.

Ruth
I was going to say the same thing. Aluminum siding is generally pretty durable. Just because yours is looking old doesn't mean it needs to be replaced. I'd look at repainting or repairing it instead. Then you can afford the garage as well. http://www.marshbuildingproducts.com
Flag Wed Apr 8, 2015
Dorene Slavi…, Agent, Torrance, CA
Sun Jun 22, 2014
They will consider it, as long as the price reflects this. In Arizona I would imagine a garage connected to the house would be highly desirable. It's unlikely you would see 100% Return on anything you do on the house my stats only show a high of 80% on things like Kitchen remodels. It would be smart to connect with a local Realtor to get prices so you can make an informed decision.
Hi, We actually live in Prescott, WI. There are very few houses here without garages. For zoning reasons an attached garage won't be possible unfortunately.
Flag Sun Jun 22, 2014