Should I take a reasonable offer now or wait for better one?

Asked by Sasha, Newark, CA Sat Jul 27, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Jul 28, 2013
If you have an agent,this is the person to consult with. Personally, I think turning away a reasonable offer is a risky bet. If the offer is indeed reasonable - why not take it and move on with your life?
2 votes
Chris Nyman…, Agent, Albuquerque, NM
Sat Jul 27, 2013
An offer in the hand is worth a hundred that never come in..... So I generally tell my sellers that, unless it's scary (weird terms) or ridiculous (stupid low) - work with it! Accept it, counter it, ask your agent for recent pending "comps", etc. keep it alive. You may not get a better offer, or you may waste valuable time waiting for one.
2 votes
Jennifer Fiv…, Agent, Red Hook, NY
Sat Jul 27, 2013
Sasha supply and demand will determine if you can wait for a better offer. You should speak with your agent to get a sense of the market.
1 vote
Terry Bell, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Sat Jul 27, 2013
This is the time for your agent and you to sit down and consider some of the important issues. Many of which you probably went over when your house was listed and your agent discussed the suggested listing price and why. Questions to consider are like how long the house has been on the market, how close to asking price, whether your home needs repairs, whether you are anxious to move or not in a rush, whether you should counter offer, or whether you should just accept the offer and open escrow! Good Luck!
1 vote
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Sat Jul 27, 2013
So many questions to ask you...

How long has it been on the market?

How much interest from potential buyers have you generated? If very little interest, then perhaps you should consider the offer you have. Remember the expression "a bird in hand is worth two in the bush...."

Is it priced according to current market value and current market environment (seller's market) -- or is it over priced, doesn't show well, or in terrible condition?

What do you consider "reasonable" in terms of price, terms and conditions?

If you have a realtor representing you, your realtor is in the best position to advise you because none of us have the information we need to respond satisfactorily.
1 vote
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Sep 13, 2013
Did you take the reasonable offer? Sell your home? Can you take a moment and update us with how things turned out?
0 votes
Brian Ripp, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sat Jul 27, 2013
As Steve mentioned - we don't know what you and your agent knows. We can all assume that the best offer is often the one in front of us. But you and your agent know your situation.
0 votes
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sat Jul 27, 2013
Hi Sasha,

Anyone answering your question will be at a great disadvantage due to the fact very important information about your property is missing, such as, the details of your property, how long it has been on market, condition, upgrades, neighborhood, etc.

Your Realtor® would/should have performed a Comparative Market Analysis to suggest a Listing price. If the offer meets your initial goal then perhaps you should consider taking the offer - or not.

This is a discussion you should have with your Realtor®!

0 votes
Rishab Jain, , Fremont, CA
Sat Jul 27, 2013
Hello Sasha,

Just get a CMA from your Agent and decide accordingly ,there are some variations of pricing, you just want to make sure that you are not selling under price.

Jain Rishab
0 votes
Dawn Rivera, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sat Jul 27, 2013
Hi Sasha, if your happy with the offer and the buyer is well qualified I see no reason to wait. If you still have a mortgage you could be losing money each month. But at the end of the day it has to be your decision....Dawn
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more