Should I still conduct an open house if it rains?

Asked by Bubblegum, Orange, CA Sun Dec 19, 2010

Answers

30
Amanda Barnes’ answer
Amanda Barnes, Agent, Blairsville, GA
Thu May 3, 2012
Yes, I would Still hold the Open House. Expecially if you have advertised and marketed the Open House... You do not want to miss anyone that may show up. Have your realtor help with the Open House so can can show multiple clients through out the house !! Rain drives people inside so yes I do think I would still go forward with it.
Carl Hawthor…, Agent, Woodstock, GA
Thu May 3, 2012
Yes, just be prepared with towels.
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Thu May 3, 2012
Definitely--I find that people still look in the rain and in fact, many times see an uptick in traffic because they can't do their normal outside activities.
Cheryl Gordon, Agent, Attleboro, MA
Thu May 3, 2012
Absolutely...I have found that on rainy days I have gotten the most traffic thru my Open Houses. You may want to make accomodations for a place to wipe their shoes down or put some runners along the main areas so that the home is not getting tracked with rain and mud ect. If you plan for it and you promote the open house properly the buyers will still come, also the buyers that are out in the rain looking are probably very serious and need to find a home quickly, so they dont mind going out in the rain to find the perfect home for them.
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed May 2, 2012
Absolutely!! Sometimes you will do better in the rain because there's not as much to do outdoors!

I fondly recall an open house I did on a very wet day here in San Diego. Not only did I have a great open house, I had an agent deliver an offer to be my the end of the open house. Only time that's ever happened to me so I consider tain a good omen.

Honestly though, the hard part is putting up signs if it is raining heavily...not easy or fun to do while wearing professional clothes.
Amy Bendigke…, Agent, Glen Ellyn, IL
Wed May 2, 2012
Yes! You know they are serious buyers if they are braving the elements to come see your home! And as an aside, never discount the "nosey neighbors " who come thru open houses . I put them to work for my listing by asking them who they would like to have as a neighbor and who they know that is looking for a house! (After all they love the neighborhood...lets get them to be our biggest fan!)
Agnes Tabor, Agent, Naples, FL
Wed May 2, 2012
You bet, could be the best time. Potential buyers are some times put off when there are too many people in the home. They have questions, as do you. Ever been Open when several people enter at one time they leave the same way and no questions or answers are shared.
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Thu Apr 26, 2012
Let me tell you, I selected my home on a rainy day, infact it was raining cats and dogs.

Serious buyers will not be afraid of a little rain. I actually thought it was agood time to view properties, because I could see if there was any roof damage.

So, put on some extra layers, make some hot chocolate and have a rainy day open house.

Best of luck to you!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Yesica Gutie…, Agent, Anaheim, CA
Thu Apr 26, 2012
I would recommend that you take the time to fist invite what I call my three rule. 3-3-3 is my rule 3 blocks front,side and back and advertised the open house at least 1 week in advance, you want to have a successful & busy open house, so whether it rains or not your busy and get the results that a well planned open house has to offer.
Heather Paul, Agent, Santa Monica, CA
Mon Dec 26, 2011
YES! I love doing open houses when it rains, I have sold 4 homes this way! The buyers that do come are usually very serious buyers and even if you don't sell the home, you could potentially pick up good new buyers to work with, plus most of your competition will be taking the day off.

Aaron Weber…, Agent, Middleton, WI
Fri Dec 23, 2011
Yes.... yes yes. You never know who is going to walk into your open house.
Nina Harris, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Dec 23, 2011
Yes. They are serious buyers, otherwise they would not be out.

Web Reference:  http://ninaharrishomes.com
Ruth and Per…, Agent, Los Gatos, CA
Sat Dec 25, 2010
Hi Bubblegum:

Generally, the buyers who come to an Open House in the Rains are
the most committed and serious. While one can feel good with a regular turn
out of say 8 - 18 groups, the issue is how many are Serious Buyers.

The Buyers out in the rain are the most serious.

I showed homes to 2 folks today on X-Mas and they are committed and qualified.

Perry
Adrian Hunti…, Agent, SAN FRANCISCO, CA
Sat Dec 25, 2010
Although it is not an optimal weather conditon, many home buyers do go to open houses when it is raining. As you know the open house is for realtors to gain potential buyers, and to satisfy seller that you are working towards selling their home. Take extra steps to provide disposable shoe covers if the home has nice carpeting. The clients that come to your open house are true buyers, because I have never seen a nosy neighbor bother to get wet.

Best of Luck.
Ron Siegel, , 92807
Sat Dec 25, 2010
As a consumer, if a property was advertised as being open and I went out in the rain and it wasn't open, I would be upset and make note of the agent
Karen Parsons…, Agent, Laguna Beach, CA
Wed Dec 22, 2010

good question....I normally don't. Unless I have a vacant home with no carpet. Just don't want dirty, wet shoes in the house....

Karen
Mary and Mic…, Agent, Yorba Linda, CA
Tue Dec 21, 2010
The final decision will be your seller's on whether to conduct an open house in the rain. However, I have found that a buyer that walks through the door at an open house when it is raining (or is out looking at property together in the rain), is a pretty serious buyer.
John Alesi, Agent, Rancho Santa Margarita, CA
Sun Dec 19, 2010
Any if you REALTORS not in So Cal have to remember that when it rains here it's a big event. Weather reporters talk about "storm watch." People actually melt in the rain!
Laura Fleisc…, Agent, Scarborough, ME
Sun Dec 19, 2010
I think that realtors are sort of like the post office, rain, wind, snow....Or you could have the Field of Dreams attitude, build it and they will come! I would and do have open houses in the rain.
Web Reference:  http://www.amytarboxteam.com
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Sun Dec 19, 2010
Bubblegum;
Sure, why not......it's the luck of the draw.
Besides; since it's raining......nothing else is probably going on anyway.
Web Reference:  http://www.321property.com
Rod Burns, , Santa Ana, CA
Sun Dec 19, 2010
Yes you should have the open house in the rain. It will bring out the more serious buyers. Just have a small supply of shoe covers for them to put on before entering.

Good Luck
Duretta Lora…, , Helendale, CA
Sun Dec 19, 2010
About the only time I can think of that I would not do an open house is in a home without heat or air available and the weather is extreme either way.
Lise howe, Agent, Rockville, MD
Sun Dec 19, 2010
Here in Bethesda MD, even when it rains, we have open houses. When it snows sometimes the only thing to do is go to an open house! So many other things are cancelled or unappealing that the traffic can be increased. Definitely - hold that house open and thank the rain for that contract that will be coming in!
Alan May, Agent, Evanston, IL
Sun Dec 19, 2010
sometimes a rainy day will bring you your largest turnout. Ask folk to take their shoes off... (ha, ha... Margaret Hamilton reference, James... very funny!)
James Gordon…, Agent, Hamilton, OH
Sun Dec 19, 2010
If the home owner is Margaret Hamilton I might ask her if it was ok but otherwise there may be people planning on coming.
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Sun Dec 19, 2010
Is the house still for sale when it's raining?
Tom Sommers, Agent, Lakeville, MN
Sun Dec 19, 2010
YES!!!! I have doen open houses in 40 degrees below zero weather and have had 11 couples come through. Sometimes bad weather is great.

Good Luck,
Tom
Sun Dec 19, 2010
My first sales job was selling cars. Our crusty old sales manager would tell us "if they're out there in the rain (driving onto the lot) they ain't coming here for ice cream." And he was right...if people show up when the weather is bad, they probably have a good reason to be there.

What you won't get are the "lookies" who are just killing time on a Sunday.
Harold Sharpe, Agent, Menifee, CA
Sun Dec 19, 2010
Bubblegum,
Part of life is living up to your word.
If you said you were going to be there, then be there.
If no one knew other than you, the choice is yours.
Use a remove shoes sign at the door and bring a couple of Kitchen mats for near the front door for them to take their shoes off.
This will show both buyer and seller that you care about the house even though you did not think to do a 10 day weather dot com looksie before you scheduled it.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomesrealestate.com
http://www.socalhomesrealestate.com
California Department of Real Estate License # 01312992
John Souerbry, Agent, Fairfield, CA
Sun Dec 19, 2010
Yes... If you can't fix it - feature it.
If you have one, or can buy or rent one, put a pop-up tent near the entrance and add extra door mats where people can wipe their feet or leave their shoes.