Should I replace the carpet in my home? If so, what material?

Asked by j.hope.davila, Beaumont, TX Tue May 21, 2013

Our home is 3/1, 1300 square foot, built in 1967, brick/concrete slab. It is on a dead end street in Winnie.

Our house has beige carpet in the living room, dining room, hall, and bedrooms. The kitchen, bathroom, and landings have linoleum tile. The carpet isn't in bad shape and we get it steam cleaned every 6 months, but with 2 (hairy) english bulldogs and a baby on the way, we are thinking of replacing it.

We know that we will soon outgrow our home, and will be looking to sell in the next 2-5 years. Should we just live with the carpet? If we do replace, what materials should we be looking at? Should we use it throughout or just in the living areas?

Answers

4
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Tue May 21, 2013
J. Hope,
One last thought on what your local agents are advising. Since you plan to sell sometime in the future, the longer you wait to make the changes the better condition the new floors will be in when you sell. Kids can be hard on floors and obviously so can dogs. Fresh carpet or floors just before selling can make a huge difference.
Susan Meagher, Agent, Beaumont, TX
Tue May 21, 2013
Both of the real estate agents below are correct. I would go with wood, and engineered wood, if you can.
Ann Morrell, Agent, Beaumont, TX
Tue May 21, 2013
Hi, I am a realtor of 33 years selling in Jefferson and 4 surrounding counties. I would replace the carpet in my home with tile, wood or even a lesser expensive type of wood called laminate. That what's been in demand with buyers (especially young buyers) for the last 8 years. Thanks, Ann Morrell/American cell: 409.455.0580
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue May 21, 2013
Most of the people I have surveyed, want carpet in the Bedrooms, Tile in the bathrooms and wood or laminate in the other rooms.
Given a choice.