Should I replace kitchen appliances before placing house on market?

Asked by momo3379594219, Jefferson, NC Sat Nov 9, 2013

The appliances are ten years and bisque color. They are in good condition, but I know that most people are looking for stainless steel. Would it be a good investment to replace with stainless steel?

Answers

57
Frankie Ales…, Home Buyer, New York, NY
Sun Nov 17, 2013
I am looking at buying a second hand home for the first time, and have seen a number of "just renovated" kitchens/bathrooms, and mostly I LOATHE the taste, so would prefer to buy a kitchen that I can renovate myself, to my own taste. So my vote is. . . don't renovate.
Echodora, Home Buyer, Dahlonega, GA
Sun Nov 17, 2013
No the buyer can do that. When you look for your replacement house are you looking for new appliances or a dry basement and new roof. Structural integrity is what should you
be looking for l 1st and formost
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Mon Nov 11, 2013
Unless these appliances are a huge negative factor leaving them in place is probably your best option. Trying to anticipate what your future buyer's desires will be would be purely guess work. Your best bet is to price the property with the need to replace appliances in mind and go from there. Stainless, granite, and common appliances isn't the answer for all people.....

My recommendation is to try listing the property without upgrading the appliances and getting buyer feedback before making your decision to replace them. You may not have to do anything.

I totally agree that it would be purely guess work. It's easy for a new owner to repaint the walls if they don't like the color, but a waste if they want another brand, color, or style, on the appliances. (ie. top or bottom freezer or side by side) If they ask about the older appliances then offer them a financial discount and let them pic their own.
Flag Sun Nov 17, 2013
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Sun Nov 10, 2013
Momo,
I have a long standing policy, only spend money on things that will return the investment in terms of money or time. At your suggested size and price point, I'd want to see what your competition is like, know the level of market activity in your segment and again, see the rest of the house and make the suggested changes, if any which provide the greatest return.
Rules of thumb are great, but you have a specific house in a specific market that will benefit from on site local expertise. Interview a couple of agents and get their suggestions based on what they see and the competition.
tresdeclubs, Renter, La Quinta, CA
Sun Nov 17, 2013
I am a seasoned seller / buyer. Bottom line: how much 'wiggle-room' do you have to work with? If you have $10K to play with and your kitchen requires a full update, then replace your appliances with low to medium grade stainless steel units, a low to medium end quartz composite counter, oil those cabinets down (or give them a fresh coat of paint) and update the cabinet hardware. Eliminate clutter and personal belongings (photos, trophies and memorabilia) and keep the 'color splashing' around your home to a low profile. I have found that painting your walls a soft, subtle vanilla creates a warm ambience in well-lit rooms. Remember to leave your accent lights on, use incense and play soft music whenever showing your home.
jlmurrell, Both Buyer And Seller, Porterville, CA
Sun Nov 17, 2013
I hate stainless steal. A lot of ladies who have had it are constantly wiping fingerprints off.
I looked at refrigerators today at Home Depot. They have several that are stainless steel but advertise right on the front that they do not show fingerprints, and it's true. My husband's hands are always oily or full of something and he couldn't raise a print.
Flag Sun Jul 3, 2016
Dale Ruff, Home Buyer, Boulder Creek, CA
Sun Nov 17, 2013
People are starting to get sick of the stainless steel look, as well as granite counters, which can't be used for cutting, break glass easily, and are noisy and cold.

The new look will be appliances that look more like newer car colors---metallic paint, silver, etc.
And I predict, that soon people will want good old fashioned wood counters, warm, friendly, refinishable, and cheap compared to granite. Recycle the old granite counters when you remodel your bathroom and put in new wood counters.

I have nothing to back this up but the observation that over time, people get sick of styles....and the fact that granite is a terrible countertop. It's easy to clean but otherwise the worst surface possible.

Just my opinion.
I was lucky enough to get a true stone slab of granite that's indestructible. I did not seal it to get the "plastic" look that would have made it a no no for placing hot pots on it. The only instruction was no red wine on it, even in a glass. I can cut on it all day long.
Flag Yesterday at 9:40am
My own feeling is, that I love my granite counter tops and yes, I replaced the appliances with SS. People who had looked at our house before, said it looked dated, but they aren't saying it now. But we also replaced bathroom faucets, light fixtures and mirrors.
Flag Sun Nov 17, 2013
Amen, Brother, Amen!
Flag Sun Nov 17, 2013
Larry Stevens, Home Buyer, Dallas, OR
Sun Nov 17, 2013
It is always good to update anything that buyers would object to
We matched granite, appliances and woods and the kitchen is beautiful! Our appliances are black and they would look awful in stainless steal. Go with design and do WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOUR HOME.
Flag Sun Nov 17, 2013
William Sidw…, Home Buyer, Reno, NV
Fri Nov 15, 2013
Absolutely NOT, some folks now days are looking for that Retro look. Just put it in your offer that you would replace them if asked to by the buyer!
Barry Aldrid…, Agent, Mooresville, NC
Mon Nov 11, 2013
Momo,
Typically, the first thing I recommend is to do a comparison (or comp) report on your home. This way you will know up front what homes like yours are selling for, what improvements they have, and also what your competition (other homes similar to yours, in your area) is priced. Here's my advice to all my Sellers. You want to strive to be one of the top 5 in quality & curb appeal, as well as one of the top 5 in terms of competitive pricing. If you can manage to be in the top 5 or 10 in BOTH categories, then your chances for selling your home in a reasonable time and for a reasonable price, are much better than if you do no homework and nothing to gain that competitive edge. Any questions you have concerning this, I will be happy to answer. My email is barry@barryaldridge.com.
Barry Aldridge
Broker/Owner
Mountain Places Properties
Boone & West Jefferson, NC
Jonathan Dal…, Agent, Glendale, AZ
Sun Nov 10, 2013
Given it's a modular, I'd talk to an agent first to see what the value is to start with. Changing out the appliances may not make much difference in price, though it might help the home show better than competing homes and get it sold faster.
Web Reference:  http://expiredtosoldaz.com
Gary Birtles, , Scottsdale, AZ
Tue Mar 17, 2015
I think this depends on the condition of the appliances. It sounds like they are in good condition and I probably wouldn't go through the effort of replacing them if I were you. I don't think it'll make that much difference in the end. Just worry about thinks that will significantly increase the value of your home. http://www.ssapplianceservice.com
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Mon May 26, 2014
I wouldn't because 9 times out of 10 the Buyers are going to want to do their own thing--including buying the brand and type of appliance they want. Price your house to it current condition and you should be OK.
honeycombe8, Home Buyer, Dallas, TX
Mon May 26, 2014
Sometimes it's more than about return on investment. Impact and the way it shows is very important. Even if buyers will buy their own, having newish, sharp looking, updated appliances will give a favorable impression and the kitchen will show well. Most buyers find it hard to visualize a room other than the way it is. Also, when I was looking at homes, outdated ugly appliances gave the impression that the owner cared for his home the same way in other areas. I remember one house in particular. Lots of sf, nice area. Starting with old stained range top, everywhere I looked, something was outdated and old-lady looking...carpets, paint, appliances. The home didn't show well and told me that the whole house, even the parts I couldn't see, would be outdated, not maintained, and a money pit. If homes in your area have updated kitchens, you need to do something similar, even if on a smaller scale, or expect for your home to take longer to sell, besides getting a lesser price. Impact of a reasonably updated, maintained, pretty home can't be measured. If only for a faster sell. And you don't need to spend a ton of money. You don't have to update everything. I plan on updating my fridge, since it's more than 20 yrs old, doesn't look nice, and never fit the area as well as it should. I don't plan on updating the dw, since it's not very visible and visual impact would be minimal. Stove - I'm not sure of yet. It's fairly new, but it's white with gray accents, so not sure if I should get stainless to match the new fridge & range hood. I think not. It is updated and looks fairly nice.
Paul John Cr…, Both Buyer And Seller, Tulsa, OK
Fri Dec 6, 2013
Im actually taking our washer/dryer we have (they are maytag hgh end) and replacing the w/d in the new house and taking those and putting them back in my old house.

Otherwise both houses are keeping the appliances they otherwise have.

Updates are worthwhile, but appliances..??? it depends on condition for me.

I wouldnt bother selling to anybody that requires all new appliances anyway.
Karen Foster, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Fri Dec 6, 2013
Normally I would say yes it is a good investment to update your appliances. But also you need to look at other factors when making that decision. What is the price point of your home? Competition? Sometimes an appliance allowance is good.
Bill Krucken…, Agent, Sapphire, NC
Fri Dec 6, 2013
Often it can be best to reduce you sales price to reflect the needed improvement, rather than install items that might not be what the buyers are looking for. In my market, people often want to redo the kitchens and bathrooms just to personalize.
I would certainly replace ten (10) year old appliances. Whether you need to spend extra money on Stainless Steel or High End Appliances depends on the Asking Price of your home. You should discuss that with your Listing Agent.
Flag Fri Dec 6, 2013
Janet Dennis…, Agent, Saratoga Springs, NY
Wed Nov 20, 2013
I think that you should be competitive with your neighborhood. Don't do something that will put you out of the area price range. However, if your neighborhood calls for updated kitchens, by all means do it.
I would a suggest the discounted purchase price too depending on the area. Offering it both ways cannot hurt . I would also ask you Realtor for a market analysis of current sales and see what their kitchens look like. Sorry cannot give a straight answer without knowing the property and area.
Steven, Home Buyer, Moultrie, GA
Tue Nov 19, 2013
why not ask potential buyers if they need or even want new appliances. then negotiate your asking price with and without new applncs.
Steven, Home Buyer, Moultrie, GA
Tue Nov 19, 2013
so , yer say'in ya wants a qwik sale n move onto da next piggon. From a professional stand point (don't have to pay for the appliances) you may be right..
Flag Fri Dec 6, 2013
The problem is, buyers form an opinion of your home in the first couple minutes of seeing it. First impressions are all important. Steven, you have a good idea, however from a professional stand point, having those stainless appliances could make or break someone putting a contract on your home.
Flag Tue Nov 19, 2013
Sondra Harri…, Home Buyer, San Jose, CA
Tue Nov 19, 2013
No just price accordingly. Not everyone likes stainless.....
Donna Thomps…, Agent, Ellisville, MO
Tue Nov 19, 2013
YES, put in those stainless steel appliances. No question.
Helene Delga…, Agent, Broomfield, CO
Mon Nov 18, 2013
One of the upgrades that give you the most return on investment is kitchen remodels. If you can't do anything else, replacing the appliances with stainless steel appliances is a good move. You could give a buyer a concession to buy all new appliances, but that might not attract most buyers. Shiny appliances are definitely draws for buyers.
Mon Nov 18, 2013
If you have the cash, its always best to update appliances... especially if they are old enough or would make it less likely to sell the house.

But if the appliances are otherwise good.. like my moms 20yr dryer was still brand new in terms of rarely if ever used... it was still in near original condtion.. .except for the outside look of it.
Patricia Per…, Agent, Bernardsville, NJ
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Very definitely....Updating in the kitchen can be crucial. A buyer tallies potential expenses as he/she looks at a house, so it is wise to freshen up or update those areas which are obviously in need.
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Another is like in my moms house.. .we knew that no buyer would want the fridge.
the kitchen there is such that you could litterally have two fridges next to each other.

stove and dishwasher were totally replaced and it required a small amt of reconstruction to do it as the original appliances were too small (mom had apt size on dishwasher and stove).

In my new place the diswasher/stove/oven are built ins but the fridge space is normal space and the washer/dryer will be traded out.
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Updated kitchen isnt always a good thing.

I recently saw a updated place, but it was so badly redone in terms of floorplan it took over the space too much...and was overkill.

Yes, updated kitchen, but it must still be done correctly and not be a cheesy flip.

This place was a substandard quallity house but with a a1 superkitchen that was more than half the house.. we walked away and bought a house in the same area for same price but their updates were all tasteful and fit right.
ILene Stracu…, Agent, Sarasota, FL
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Some buyers won't even look at a home that does not have an updated kitchen, but others would rather pick out the items themselves. If you choose to update the appliances you may not recoup your whole investment. If you choose not to update the appliances be sure that your listing price reflects that.
Ture enough... in my own case, we are switching the washer/dryer between our new house and the old house ... ours is highend. new houses isnt.
Flag Mon Nov 18, 2013
Brian Bowne, Agent, Forest, VA
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Either A: go ahead and update now to make your showings more attractive than others'
or B: publish the information you will offer $X credit to the buyers toward purchase of newer appliances
Brian Bowne, Agent, Forest, VA
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Jason LaMont…, Agent, Minneapolis, MN
Mon Nov 18, 2013
It really depends on your goals and what the competition in your area is doing. A good agent in your area should discuss with you what your motivation is for selling. Do you need to sell quickly? The realtor will be able to price the home according to both your needs and the competition. As part of the realtors research in determining the price, they will also provide you with insight into what the kitchens in your neighborhood that are selling look like. Your local realtor, who has seen your kitchen and home, would provide the most clarity on whether it will be worth the investment of doing any updates. A realtor consultation should be free.
Lynne Wright, Agent, Parker, CO
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Most likely it will benefit you to update those appliances. But WAIT! Is the rest of the kitchen updated? If not, it may not make good sense to update the appliances. Better to price the home correctly for the cosmetic updating needed.
Carol Claudon, Agent, Seminole, FL
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Kitchens and bathrooms sell homes. While I recommend you take a look at these areas, the number one recommendation is clean, neat, and tidy. Take everything off shelves and replace only a few items...pack the rest (you're moving, anyway). There have been studies done showing significant differences if a place even smells clean. Cleanliness is the single-most important factor, and it just takes time and effort. A walkthrough by an experienced agent would be a worthwhile endeavor. They'll know where you can get the most for your time and money. It may be that there is another area of your home that would be more in need than your appliances and you're too close to see it.

The agents below make good points (paint does a world of good), but while you decide where to spend your money...start cleaning!

Carol Claudon
CENTURY 21 Top Sales
Seminole, FL
Terri Castro, Agent, Sea Girt, NJ
Mon Nov 18, 2013
IT ALL DEPENDS ON THE WHAT THE MARKET DICTATES IN THE TIME FRAME YOU ARE PLACING YOUR HOME ON THE MARKET AND YOUR LOCATION! I COULD ONLY ANSWER THIS QUESTION...IF I'M ABLE TO SEE THE HOME FOR MYSELF AND THEN CONDUCT A CMA.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Mon Nov 18, 2013
Probably, but before you start spending money on this I'd advise speaking to an experienced listing agent in your area and have them come through and take a look at your home. There may be some other things you could or should do that will give you a greater return on the money. While new SS appliances are desirable and could well make your home sell more quickly; it's doubtful you'll recover the cost. If you're luck you'll get back between 75-85% of the expense. A new interior paint job for example may actually make you some money. Get some local professional advice before writing any checks.
tasenta, Home Buyer, Leesburg, FL
Mon Nov 18, 2013
We just bought a house with 'updated' appliances - cheap stainless, low-end appliances. As this is a middle to high middle income area with few if any 'first time buyers', cheap appliances actually detracted from the house! We are donating these to charity and buying what we want, and made an appropriate offer to cover that added expense. Recommend you do not waste your money and do the appliance credit or accept a slightly lower price - if they ask!
Karen Foster, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Mon Nov 18, 2013
You don't say what type if countertops you have. If Formica then I wouldn't reccommend changing just the appliances. Alot of buyers want granute as well. It also depends on what the rest of your house looks like and what your competition is doing in your neighborhood and community. Only a professional real estate agent can answer this question effectively.
Amy Alpeza, Agent, Bellevue, WA
Sun Nov 17, 2013
It depends on the quality of the kitchen. If it has been updated recently but the appliances were not, then yes, definitely. If the entire kitchen needs a facelift, then the price of your home would reflect that to potential buyers. in that case, I would say no, it's not worth the expense.
Brenda Murray, Agent, Joplin, MO
Sun Nov 17, 2013
Depending on the price range of the home. If the home is a lower priced modest home and the appliances are in good condition they will be fine. But if the home is competing with newer homes,
replace the appliances to comp with the competing homes.
Dennis Evans, Agent, Clifton Park, NY
Sun Nov 17, 2013
Consult with a local Realtor, they can get you a CMA and advise you what to do!
Best of luck... lets get it sold!
mewhitt2002, Home Seller, 77406
Sun Nov 17, 2013
No better offer an appliance supplement
People react quickly to what they like and don't like. Though it may sound like a good idea to offer up an appliance allowance, this is not readily known to a buyer when they walk through a home (unless their realtor prefaces their 'walk through' BEFORE they enter the home). The vast majority of home buyers are intimidated by any process requiring renovation; what they want, they want NOW...without having to extend themselves. Once turned off by outdated appliances, hardware, fixtures, carpeting, etc etc, buyers tend to discount the entire home based upon what they perceive as a 'nuisance'. 90% of those buyers would rather walk before considering the 'ordeal' of replacing appliances...even with an allowance. This is true for almost any type of allowance offered. If you need to sell your home quickly, even a carpet requiring a good cleaning will turn off a potential buyer. Better to
replace the appliances rather than hope a buyer will consider an allowance.
Flag Sun Nov 17, 2013
Sal Leo, AGE…, Agent, Brookfield, CT
Sun Nov 17, 2013
The Kitchen is one of the most important rooms in the home, and certainly one of the rooms that should stand out. If you can, and your home is not in need of major renovations, I recomment that you update the kitchen appliances. I belive it is an excellent investment, one that you can that you can get your money back when you sell your home..
Sun Nov 17, 2013
It always depends.

In my moms home sale... we replaced all but the washer/dryer..

Everything was 20+ years old... but the washer dryer were old but mint condition.

In my own case, we just bought a new house and all appliances stay... but we dont want the washer/dryer because we have high end maytag ourselves.

So we are switching the washer/dryers between both houses.
Jo-Ellen Red…, Agent, Bedford NH 03110, NH
Sun Nov 17, 2013
It depends what the rest of your kitchen looks like. If it has formica counters and is not updated, I don't think you will get your money back. On the other hand, if it is updated and you just haven't gotten around to replacing your appliances, I would replace them. Good Luck with the sale of your home.
Kristin Smith, Agent, Dallas, TX
Sun Nov 17, 2013
The kitchen is the most focal point in the entire house with a close runner up being the master bathroom. With SS appliances the home will be acquire a lot more interest - especially right off the bat which results in a faster sale which in turn could mean that you would in fact be getting your money out of it.. Less mortgage payments and plus it adds value just by updating them! Good luck
according to the newest data stainless is now passe ...
Flag Sun Nov 17, 2013
Ron and Kat…, Agent, Antioch, IL
Sun Nov 17, 2013
It might make your home more sale able and sell faster but you will most likely not get your money back in the sales price. If you factor in your cost of living there on a monthly basis (taxes, insurance, mortgage payment and interest on your loan....not to mention the cost of utilities) it might be worth it to replace them. There are discount appliance outlets to help you save on the cost of new. If your ivory appliances are still in excellent condition you can also make a little money on those to put towards the cost of new ones. What are your countertops made of? That is another thing to take into consideration. It won't help much to replace appliances if you have old Formica counters. In that case, just list your price accordingly.
Jerry Thomps…, Agent, Mission Viejo, CA
Sun Nov 17, 2013
Yes, absolutely. It will enhance the property and result in quicker sale.
Geralyn Behr…, Agent, Rumson, NJ
Sun Nov 17, 2013
I think replacing them will make a big difference. The kitchen is one of the most important rooms that buyers look at! New stainless appliances will be worth it in the end. There are many reasonable priced options now.
Tammy Goldst…, Agent, Cherry Hills Village, CO
Sun Nov 17, 2013
I think that old appliances age a home. Getting out the paint brush and painting everything neutral and
replacing some of the appliances with stainless can go a long way. Even if someone was going to move in and re do the kitchen anyway they know they would save a lot of money if they don't have to change out the appliances.There are many appliance stores that sell floor models at a steep discount. It could be worth doing. It also depends on the price range of the house.
Dianne Long, Agent, Midlothian, VA
Sun Nov 17, 2013
It would be a good investment to replace your appliances. In today's world, a spiffy Kitchen is a necessity and if you do not have granite or an updated surface, it would be a good idea to make that improvement, too.
1 2