Should I place an AD in the local newspaper?

Asked by Carolyn, Clinton, MD Mon Jul 21, 2008

Answers

4
Alicia Simms, , Waldorf, MD
Tue Jul 22, 2008
Hi, I am a FSBO turned Real Estate Professional. When it comes to selling your home, you want to do a market blast, as if it's the best thing yet and make everyone want to buy it. It will cost a ridiculous amount of money for advertising. If you are a truly dedicated "for sale by owner", make sure you do a MLS listing, which could cost about $350, then list your home on all of the FSBO websites that are free. I would then call your newspapers and determine when the Real Estate sections come out, and advertise in those first. Be prepared to do an Open House within the first four weeks, to be sure vacations are coming to an end, and your advertising has allowed some lookers to be ready to come see your home.
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Carolyn
According to a 2008 buyer survey, they only looked at newspapers 12% of the time.
The buyers first saw the home they purchased with a Realtor 90% of the time, so your market is Realtors.

I suggest interviewing three Realtors and getting their ideas. Run the numbers, look at their marketing plans. 86% of sellers list with a Realtor to sell their home. 5% sell to someone they know, 5% to someone they don't know.
Larry Story, Agent, Greensboro, NC
Mon Jul 21, 2008
Carolyn I am guess you are trying to do for sale by owner. Your best bet if you have not done it yet is use a flat fee brokerage and at least get you home posted in your local area MLS.
Don Tepper, Agent, Burke, VA
Mon Jul 21, 2008
It's worth a try. Different buyers respond to different marketing efforts: Internet, newspapers, direct mail, etc.