Short Sale Commission of 3.5% / 2.5%

Asked by Roamer, Newport Beach, CA Wed Jul 25, 2012

Bay Area realtor (seller) wants to do a listing for 3.5% for her and 2.5% for the buying realtor. They said it's the short sale norm since the selling realtor does more work including the working with the Bank.

Would this reduce buying realtors from showing this property?

Is this pretty standard breakdown and not the typical (3/3%)?

Answers

3
Vicky Chang, Agent, Pittsburgh, PA
Wed Feb 25, 2015
Thank you for posting your question on Trulia!
The norm is to split it evenly even for short sales in Pittsburgh. It seems like the listing agent just want to make more money for him/herself. It does attract more buyer's agent to bring their buyers when you are offering more for the buying side. I can refer you some reputable agents in your area if you like.

At your service,
Vicky
Graham Levine, Agent, Riverside, CA
Sat Jul 28, 2012
It depends... If the listing agent wants to charge more for the listing, and reduce the buyer’s agent commission, they better give you some really good reasons why they have earned and increased commission. I would also keep in mind that Real Estate Agents are people too, and they do this as their profession. If your home is offering 2.5% to the buyer’s agent, but comparable homes are offering 3%, it’s likely they will show the other homes, before they show yours. You may end up shooting yourself in the foot, and that pricing strategy doesn’t benefit you at all, just your agent.
Cindy Davis, Agent, San Diego, CA
Wed Jul 25, 2012
Good question...in San Diego, the norm is to split commission 50/50...I would call so short sale specialists in your area to see what's typical there.