Home Selling in Auburn Hills>Question Details

Arianne, Home Seller in Auburn Hills, MI

She said she would email me weekly with info on the hits on the web sites. We have had 6 walk throughs and no

Asked by Arianne, Auburn Hills, MI Fri Nov 2, 2007

offers she has yet to show the house. I talked her into having an open house last weekend which produced one person. We have lowerd the price twice with no new walk throughs. Her feedback to us is not prompt-maybe the people are not getting back promply but there isnt a lot of communication. I feel like she has had enough time to sell the home-am I'm not thinking clearly. All of our walk throughs have been great every one has loved the house except one person said the mb was too small. ??? This is our first home and first time selling.

Another thing, typically you should receive an offer after 15 showings. So don't be upset with the 6. If you don't have an offer in 15 showings, you should consider lowering your price.
2 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2007
Your agent may be working harder than you think, her problem may be in communicating what she is doing for you. I agree she should be getting back with you, even if it is to say no change. I often have trouble getting feedback from other agents. It does sometimes make it look like I am not doing my job. I assure you, there are many agents that just don't take the time. My guess is they work mostly with buyers and have never had an expectant seller waiting for a response or they would be more considerate in the matter.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Nov 3, 2007
Arianne, here are some public websites you can also use.
http://zillow.com http://cyberhomes.com and http://realestateabc.com.

Good luck with your discussion.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 2, 2007
It is very hard to get feedback calls. Many Realtors do not return those calls. Sometimes they believe they have nothing relevant or helpful to say. i.e. Nice house, but not for them.

Your listing agent's job is to find a buyer through any source, her sphere, and any cooperative buyer agent who may have had a client. Can you ask her how many inquiry calls your property receives? How does that compare to other properties that are similar? If your agent is not showing, perhpas the inquries are down.

You can ask your agent to run an updated CMA and compare how your property is perfoming in comparison to competitive properties. If you are moving w/ the tide of the market, the results may not be a negative reflection on your agent.

Buyers often want to be polite. And, sometimes they really do love the house, but find it does not meet their needs.

Sit down w/ your agent and candidly let her know your expectations. Ask her to provide to you and explain to you data that allows you to understand the market. How much time is needed? Again, ask your agent to provide you information on how other homes are performing on the market.

I have no way of telling you specifically if your agent is doing well and working hard. I also do not know Auburn. I have tried to provide you some basis for conversation w/ your agent that may be helpful for you to consider so that you can confidently arrive at the right decision for you.

Good luck and keep us posted.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 2, 2007
Deborah Madey, Real Estate Pro in Brick, NJ
Arianne, It is not unusual for agents not to give feedback. The average list price for homes sold was in the 150's and the average sale price in the mid 140's. Current homes on the market average in the 180's. Buyers are very scarse right now because of the tightened market.

If you email me privately, I will look up some information about your neighborhood. It will take about 15 minutes. No obligation.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Nov 2, 2007
If an agent tells you that they are going to get you an email each week with the website activity then does not do so, I would put them on the spot immediatly.

Actually speaking with a showing agent live and trying to get feedback is a tough one. You see, many agents work between the hours of 8 AM and 8 or 9 PM. (That is not to say that they are working 13 hour days.) This is simply to illustrate that it is tough to know every agents schedule or when it is best to reach them for feedback. In addition, some agents really do show 5-15 properties at a time and it is hard to devote an hour or more to call every listing agent back to let them know that the buyer is interested or not. (I can tell you that as far as feeback goes, no buyer feels responsible to let a seller know exactly why the will or may not buy their home. In part because a buyer may have decided to keep looking.) Buyers don't always look at homes and say... "Yes, I want to buy this one or No, this is not the one." Many want to see 20-30 or 40 homes before even thinking about making a decision.

The loudest feedback a seller can receive is an offer or NO offer. AND a an abundance of activity or no activity. The lack of activity is your feedback to add more amenities, square footage, or lower the price. Buyers are only looking at homes that on paper (Their printouts) are obviously priced fairly. Once they view a few homes, they will determin if they want to go back to any for a second look at any of the ones that they have already seen. Sometimes a buyer needs to see more in order to really get the picture that your home is a true value. Once they look at other homes... if they don't come back, they may have found a better value somewhere else. It's best to price your home approx 2% below your competition to get a good amount of traffic.
Web Reference: http://www.CarloGobba.com
Hi Arianne. I would ask your agent to give you an update once a week even if there's nothing to report. It is true that many agents do not return calls requesing feedback. There are a variety of reasons and I can't speak for those who don't return the calls. Sometimes, when the request for feedback comes long after the showing, it's hard to even remember the home and I have to go online to take a look at the house to jog my memory.

Please remember that the feedback inquiry is not what sells the house. If one of those who walked through the house wanted to make an offer, he/she would have done so whether the agent showing the property gave feedback or not. I know this is frustrating because you don't know why people chose not to make an offer and it leaves you feeling helpless as you don't know what you could change to make a difference. Good luckl.
Web Reference: http://www.theMLShub.com
Ute Ferdig -…, Real Estate Pro in New Castle, DE
There is a slight delay in our mls system but it also doesn't help that less than 50% of people respond to feedback requests. I use homefeedback.com to measure feedback