Selling parent's house in Crumley Chapel area of Forestdale, should I do FSBO or get RE pro?

Asked by Cindy Horton, Munford, AL Fri Jun 22, 2012

I live out of town, currently has a tenant that will be relocating July 1. Need to sell house, looking at $25,000, just to get rid of it.

Answers

16
Mattie Bell, Agent, Birmingham, AL
Sat Jun 23, 2012
Cindy,

You live out of town, you differently need realtor.If I can help give me a call or email.
Good luck & have a great day!

Mattie Bell
205-266-5980
mattie.bell@century21.com
Renee Hamilt…, Agent, Hoover, AL
Fri Jun 22, 2012
I will be showing homes Saturday morning in the Fultondale area. If you would like me to meet with you please call or email me. I will be happy to give you a free market analysis and of course my personal insight on pricing. Good luck!

Renee Hamilton
205-504-0421
rhamilton@realtysouth.com
http://www.reneehamilton.realtysouth.com
David Mason, Agent, Vestavia Hills, AL
Fri Jun 22, 2012
You've gotten some good answers so far, but here are several links that may also be of help:

https://www.wellsfargo.com/mortgage/tools/guides-checklists/…
https://www.wellsfargo.com/mortgage/articles/sellingchecklist
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/real-estate/should-you-sell-…

The reasons to hire a professional are many, but if you have the specific marketing and negotiating knowledge and the time and diligence to get it all done by the deadlines, there is nothing to stop you from doing it yourself. It's just that a good agent can do it quicker, better, and in most every case avoid the really big "uh-oh's" that can more than pay for the agent's commission.

Consider the example of the fishing tournament. A novice might catch one or more fish. A professional fisherman will generally bring home a stringer full, every time he goes out. Finding and qualifying a buyer is much like fishing. You don't know which fish you'll catch, but if you know where to fish and what bait to use and have lots of patience, you'll usually catch one.
Danielle Tur…, Agent, Alabaster, AL
Fri Jun 22, 2012
I defintely say hire a realtor. It is hard when you are out of town especially when someone wants to view the home. By the time you travel from Munford to Forestdale a few times...It will drain you. My team serves that area and would love to help you. Good luck
Leigh Ann Co…, , Alabaster, AL
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Since you are out of town, my number one concern would be how you would handle potential buyers wanting to see your parents home. I would definitely recommend a competent agent that knew that area. You wouldn't believe what stress will be lifted by hiring the right agent. Good Luck!
FSBOsuccess, Home Seller, 28590
Fri Jun 22, 2012
If you are out of town, you need to find a good and competent agent.
Pat Lynch, Agent, Birmingham, AL
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Cindy,
With you being out of town trying to sell your parents home will not be an easy thing to do. I am doing the same thing with my mother's home at the beach. Even being a Realtor, I know that I can't properly sell her house. I therefore have referred the sale of her house to a Realtor that knows the local market conditions and can show it when an interested party or another Realtor would like to see it. I would recommend that you enlist the services of a professional Realtor to market and sell your parents home.
Greg Butler, , Birmingham, AL
Fri Jun 22, 2012
The first thing to do is to take a snapshot of the area around your house, looking at all properties for sale within 1-3 miles, and any properties in that radius that have sold in the last 6 months. I can easily put this report together and send it via email at no cost and no commitment to use me. The primary issue regarding marketing the house is to get it listed on the MLS, you might consider a minimal service listing, where an agent lists it for a flat fee but showing it would be like an owner occupant. Let me know if I can help.

Greg Butler
Butler Realty
butlerrealtyllc@yahoo.com
Chris Smith, Agent, Homewood, AL
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Always use a professional. This is what we do every day. It is what we know. We have a plan to get your home sold.
Chris Smith
Thomas Bohlm…, Agent, Rolesville, NC
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Always RE Pro.

Realtors listing your home for sale, will get 90% MORE exposure then a FSBO listing

Realtors will PRE-QUALIFY potential buyers of your home.

Realtors will handle all the paperwork and little details between the contract and closing.

Realtors will also NET YOU more in your pocket even after paying commissions then selling FSBO.

and the Creator of FSBO dot com, eventfully when to a RE Pro to sell his own condo. Hi could not sell it with all his bag of tricks for 12 or more months, but the RE Pro sold in quickly and for MORE money then he originally listed it for.

But hey the choice is yours

Good Luck
TREY Horton, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Birmingham, AL
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Absolutely get and agent. They can protect you in so many ways and actually get more for your home so your not worried about the commission. They are experts at selling homes and have trained to do it. You not so much. I would absolutely contact a real estate proffesional that is fimiliar with yoru area for a fast sell!
George Jackson who answered your post below is very good in Forestdale. He is an excellent keller Williams agent.
Flag Fri Jun 22, 2012
George Jacks…, Agent, Birmingham, AL
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Good morning Ms. Horton,

What is the property address? I may be willing to make an offer to purchase the property from you myself. What condition is the property in? How many bedrooms and bathrooms does the property have? Please give me a call at 205-296-9773, so that we may discuss the situation, and determine if I can help you.

George Jackson
Shannon Smith, Agent, Trussville, AL
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Cindy,

If you live out of town, who would be available to show the house to potential buyers if you were to list it FSBO? Would you be advertising online on multiple websites? As I am sure you already know, most home buyers start their search online. Listing with an agent, you would have someone to keep an eye on your house, be available to show, and have it exposed on multiple websites. Just make sure you pick a good reputable agent that you think you will work well with.

Good luck & have a great day!

Shannon
Jim Simms, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Louisville, KY
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Get a realtor.

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
JSimms@cmcloans.com
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
Lori Weidenb…, , Birmingham, AL
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Hey Cindy, going with a realtor is probably your best bet because selling a house these days can be a bit of a pain :-). Let me know if you have anymore questions. Good luck!!

Lori
Keller Williams
Rodney Mason, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Atlanta, GA
Fri Jun 22, 2012
Selling real estate can be a difficuly task. Using a Real Estate agent is going to be your best option.