Selling in the winter between January and April. Any buyers?

Asked by Brenda, 17403 Fri Dec 7, 2007

Similar to the question asked before about the 60's colonial, I also have a updated 36 year old Colonial in the Northbrook neighorhood near York Hospital. 4 bed 2 1/2 bath. 2500 sq. ft. living above 500 finished basement below. All new kitchen,stainless steel appliances, all new lights through house, all new paint, refinished hardwoods on both floors etc. How is the market to sell between January and April? Are there buyers out there looking for a home like mine? We bought in the height of the market and know that we are going to suffer now. Advice?

Answers

8
Sharon Harris, Agent, Hanover, PA
Wed Feb 13, 2008
Your home sounds wonderful. Make sure the price is correct. have your Realtor pull some comps and make sure you are in line with others for sale in the area. Winter is slow but with all the rate drops and refund checks and now stimulus checks coming. I think the market is going to pick up very soon..
Brenda, Both Buyer And Seller, 17403
Wed Feb 13, 2008
JW - I'm just over the border of Suburban in the Dallastown school district. We are behind York Hospital so to speak. Check out our MLS: 20801854 / 2036 Crescent Road, 17403. The houses that have been sitting are very outdated so that is the reason they are not moving and they were overpriced from the very beginning. Ours is completely updated and we have priced to sell, but not to take 30K less. It would be ironic if you ended up taking a look at our home :)

Good luck with your move!
J W, Home Buyer, Wisconsin
Wed Feb 13, 2008
There is at least one potential buyer -- I am taking a new job in York, PA and will likely be starting to look at houses very seriously starting early March. I think your neighborhood is on my list (York Sub schools?). Look at the few listings on the market near by and you'll want to expect $20-30K lower, because those on now have been on for quite a while (I've been tracking listings since last April).

Best wishes to you.

MM
Krista Heffl…, , Lancaster, PA
Mon Jan 14, 2008
I couldn't agree more that buyers this time of year are very motivated!
Brenda, you ask a valid question that most sellers ask- let me put it to you this way, If we market your home today, you have a greater chance of having less competion with the sale of your home, than you will in the spring when everyone waits to list!
If you are ready to make the move, I would do it!
I would love to take a look at your property and show you what my team can do for you.
Email me at kheffley@kw.com
Take care,
Krista Heffley
Web Reference:  http://www.markwillteam.com
Keith Sorem, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sat Dec 8, 2007
Brenda

I love questions just like yours. The reason is that many people have the same concerns and the answer is usually more positive than they expect.

The first poster is absolutely right, buyers in the market now are serious. Sellers on the market now are (for the most part) serious. And the Realtors representing them are dedicated to helping their clients achieve their goal, which for both sides means opening escrow.

I will make two key points:
1. The primary advantage to putting your home on the market right now (I mean MONDAY!) is that the competition will only increase in spring market. Now there will be only a few homes directly competing for the same buyers.
2. A Realtor will show the buyer that purchases your home 90% of the time. That means that the homes are are shown need to appear to be a value to at least the Realtor and the buyer.

3.The truth is that homes that sell within the first 30 days will sell closest to list price. Why is that important to you? You and your Realtor need to jointly determine the likely sales price, then price the home AT THAT PRICE. A Realtor looking for a buyer knows their needs. If they see a good deal, they will move quickly. That also means that the homes remaining on the market over 30 days are viewed as over-priced. So a home like yours, if it sits on the market for 120 days, will close escrow on a sale price 6.5% less than the list price. And that is AFTER at least one price reduction.

Merry Christmas!
Claudie Bias…, , North Buckhead, Atlanta, GA
Fri Dec 7, 2007
Brenda,

Your house sounds like in it in a great shape. They are always people looking to buy but if your deadline is April then you definitely want to list it now. Please get an appraisal because not all homes prices are affected by this market. trend. Be flexible on the price and closing costs. The right advertisement will get you the right result.
Bill Seufert, Agent, Lancaster, PA
Fri Dec 7, 2007
Brenda,

If you have the right agent marketing your property and the price is right, your home will still sell. Truth is, after the first of the year the market starts to pick up a little and gain momentum into the spring market.
There are lots of buyers out there looking for a home like yours. Espescially with interest rates where they are, buyers are moving with a sense of urgency.
Did you do all of the updates yourself?
Web Reference:  http://www.yorkshometeam.com
Jodi Strober-…, , Bucks County PA, Montgomery County PA
Fri Dec 7, 2007
I am not in your area, so I am not familiar with your market - but my experience in the winter is this: Buyers that are out looking in the cold and snow are only doing so because they HAVE to buy. They are extremely motivated.
Web Reference:  http://www.cityservice.com