Selling good cond 20 yo starter home @ $137K. Great area w/lots of new const starting @ $175K. Buyers aren't looking in our price range. Advice?

Asked by Ksbyrd, 67002 Fri Mar 30, 2012

Answers

4
Sarah Klamm, Agent, Wellsville, KS
Sat Mar 31, 2012
I am not in your area, but checked in Realtor.com to see if I could find your home. I found 1 in Andover at 137,900 that was 20 years old. If it is yours...here is my feedback just from the brief info and pictures I saw. Your home appears to be neat and you did a pretty good job of decluttering but nothing stood out as a WOW factor.

I would suggest:

*get some new pictures of the outside of the home now that the grass has greened up...that can make a big difference in the curb appeal.

*20 year old homes don't have the same style as newer homes unless the owner has made some upgrades...dated countertops, light fixtures, bathrooms and more can keep a buyer from taking a look or liking it enough to make an offer...make some changes if you can.

If you have listed your home with an active realtor and no one comes to see your home, you may need better pictures. In some areas, there are way more homes than buyers and your pictures are what people use to choose which homes to view. Try to view some other homes in your price range and objectively look at what makes them stand out more than yours.

Usually the market will answer your questions about why your house isn't selling this time of year. If you are getting looks but not offers, you either need to improve your "product" or lower your price. This is not personal, it is a business transaction. Your home is your product.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Fri Mar 30, 2012
How well does it show?

I am sure there are buyers in your entry level range out there...so make sure you capture the very next one who comes along...........wow them with the condition (pristine, decluttered and sparkling) and inviting curb appeal.

good luck!
Linda Baines, Agent, El Dorado, KS
Sat Mar 31, 2012
Not knowing which house is yours, it would be difficult to give a difinitive answer. In this market giving any type of difinitive answer is difficult but some things that I have noticed over the past few months is this. There definately are buyers out there. There are a lot of homes to choose from and yours has to stand out from the rest, whether it is from asthetics or price. The buyers are looking online first and if your house does not entice them to leave their couch and come look, they may never see it. Talk to your real estate professional, talk about staging and pictures that will show its greatest assets. It needs to look warm and welcoming. Staging is not about clearing everything out and making it look bland, it is about making it welcoming and warm.
Again, I know nothing of your home but I have also been finding that 2 bedrooms on the main floor or no bedrooms on the main floor is difficult. The price range you are in would be for new families possibly and they may not want to put a young child in the basement by themselves.
I did do a quick scan of homes in your zip code between $100,000 and $150,000. There are 14 of them. Two are still under construction and 1 is new. It is hard to compete with those so yours again has to stand out. Take a look at your yard. You may have something there that new builds don't. Make sure it is green and well kept.
You refer to your home as a starter home. Why is that? Is it small or is the price making it a starter home. In my market, $137,000 is not a starter. How are you priced compared to others your size? Check your competition, how are they priced? Your competition is not a house the same age or even sometimes the same size, price range may be your competition.
Maybe I have given you more answer than you wanted but ask these things of your agent and then be willing to make your home enticing. Good luck to you.
Lorrie Nicol…, Agent, Olathe, KS
Fri Mar 30, 2012
List with an agent in your area, drop the price till it sells or pull it off the market until your area picks up.