Selling a two family house -- Received bid from interested buyer.. Will I be at fault for not letting a tenant make an offer first?

Asked by Sadie1234, Kenmore, NY Fri Apr 2, 2010

My tenant was interested but I didn't want to deal with him, so I let my agent deal with it an am in the process of closing which of course will take some time. The new buyers want tenant on both floors out when they move in (they are month to month) so I have them notice on march 31st to be out by the end of April. Now I'm afraid I did the wrong thing... do I need to let them make offer since they live here? They've only been renting for 4 months. Also, when giving them notice is there a certain way I have to give it, or his just a letter asking them to vacate by end of month ok?

Answers

2
Tammy Moore, Agent, Tonawanda, NY
Sat May 15, 2010
It may be late to answer but I think your referring to who may have legal rights to placing an offer on the house. If a tenant shows interest in the purchasing of the home and you agreed to let him purchase it if you decided to sell. Then he has first rights to place an offer. You had no agreement with the tenant you stated you didnt want to deal with him to let the agent handle it. As long as you didnt have an agreement verbal or in writing you can place it on the market and sell it to whomever.
Anna M Brocco, Agent, Williston Park, NY
Fri Apr 2, 2010
Nor knowing all the specific details--your agent can advise you best--if you are in contract to sell and deposit money was exchanged, you can't very well ask your tenant for an offer--and if an offer is given it would have to be regarded at this point as a back up offer--as far as vacating--do you have a signed lease and if so what does it state--your agent and or attorney can advise you best.