Recently added a Geothermal system, replacing central A/C and saving $5000/year in heating oil. Does it add re-selling price to my home?

Asked by Nemetheva, Millis, MA Tue Jan 10, 2012

Need to know if by having added a Geothermal system, I can recoup most of the value by increasing our home price when selling it.

Answers

5
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue Jan 10, 2012
Add up all the GREEN things, and emphasize them in the Listing.
Put up an easel in the Entry to show the list, for Buyers who visit the house.
You've got to tell them about the VALUE if you expect to get it.

Good luck and may God bless
Michael Liew, Agent, Bayside, NY
Tue Jan 10, 2012
It depends on the rest of the house. If your house is not updated for the past 50 years, new geo thermal system won't probably do anyting to help, but if your house is fully renovated and in good shape and priced well, then you can demand a premium fom the new system.
Good Luck.
Territory.c…, Agent, MA,
Tue Jan 10, 2012
I agree with Ron, your best return will come on how well you advertise it. Difficult to predict your ROI on a what is still considered a trend, green energy. The most bang for you buck comes from renovated bathrooms and kitchens but with that said, the savings of a geothermal system does tell a good story so you should certainly sell that aspect.
When you go to sell feel free to use a recent blog we wrote on green energy:
http://blog.territory.com/
Web Reference:  http://territory.com/
Nic Winder, , Valparaiso, IN
Tue Jan 10, 2012
Looking in my area, I don't see a big increase if any in added home value. Most of the value of with Geothermal is in the savings it creates with energy costs. If it adds too much value, then the savings created by using less energy is offset by additional money needed to purchase them home at some point, it does become a net zero savings.
Judy Boyle, Agent, Marlborough, MA
Tue Jan 10, 2012
Hi again, Nemetheva.

While you may not recoup all of your cost for the geothermal system, you can most certainly expect to attract buyers who are interested in purchasing an energy-efficient home. I sold a home in Upton a few years back that had an $80,000 geothermal system. It definitely paid for itself when the home sold.

Good luck again!