Rebecca, Other/Just Looking in Texas

Realtors: First buyer decided to go elsewhere - nothing bad found in the inpsection that wasn't on sellers disclosure.

Asked by Rebecca, Texas Sun Apr 1, 2012

However, my realtor said that I HAVE to provide this inspection to any potential buyer ( I wanted to see it so I'm aware of it) . Is this true? Is this the "law" ... as it was stated to me? I don't have a problem with showing it, as a matter of fact the house is under contract again, but I still find it odd that I am required by law to provide it. Thanks!

Answers

3
Guy Gimenez, Agent, Austin, TX
Sun Apr 1, 2012
You are NOT required by law to show a prior inspection report....you are only required to disclose material matters that might affect a reasonable buyer's decision on whether to purchase your home.

Keep this in mind when an agent tells you that something is "the law" or "is required by law", tell the agent to show you the exact text of the law. Most of the time the agent won't have a clue how to do so because they're only reciting something that another ill informed agent / broker told them. Garbage in equals garbage out.

Trust none of what you hear and only half of what you see.
Debra (Debbi…, Agent, Livingston, NJ
Sun Apr 1, 2012
it's one thing to disclose known defects.........quite another to be forced to show an inspection report that doesnt even belong to you.

The buyers own the report - they paid for it.
A courtesy copy was given to you when the buyers made their requests for repairs.

I see no reason that the report must be made available to prospective buyers.

I have never been given a report for a home that was put back on the market following an inspection that killed the deal.

You can/should disclose any new information you have as a result of the inspection, however.
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Sun Apr 1, 2012
For an interpretation of the law, check with a lawyer.

But from a lay person's point of view I would say yes. Anything you know you should disclose. Typically it will ask on your seller's disclosure if you have had an inspection in the past 4 years. That should be updated and disclosed in my opinion.

Just like you wanted to see the inspection report, don't you think a buyer would want to see it, even more since it is from a licensed professional? I think it would give them peace of mind to see it, and trepidation if they don't.

You always want to do everything you can to put buyers at ease. Also you have a know quantity. There is always a chance if you give them the current one, that they won't do another. If they hire a different inspector, who's to say he won't find more and different issues. That does happen.

Good luck with the sale. Sounds like you have a good situation and a nice house with lots of interest.