Our house is for sale but it is showing poorly. What can we possibly do to have it show better?

Asked by Revkoehler, Midwest City, OK Thu May 24, 2012

We live in it with three dogs and three children. Our budget is very tight.We are trying to box up what we have but have no place to put our "stuff" until the house is sold. Once sold we can then look for a new home; that is our only option.

Answers

5
Linda Landry’s answer
Linda Landry, Agent, Tucson, AZ
Tue Jun 12, 2012
You have been given good advice. Bottom line clean sells. Utilize a storage space for the prepacked boxes. Have a yard sale for any unwanted and not wanted items. Donate anything else to charity. If another place for the dogs is not an option then confine them in a small portion of the yard not in the house and pick up after them morning, noon and night. Children are a given and require extra work for parents to either pick up after them or elicit their cooperation. It is an additional chore to say the least. However, in a market with plenty of vacant homes a home owner must go the extra mile to entice a buyer and that means a clean house from kitchen and bathrooms to paint and carpet. So, yes, clean and de-clutter as much as you can and often! Next consideration is price as you cannot change location. Ensure your agent can validate the asking price is reasonable and be open to a price reduction if it is not or if you are not getting offers to consider. Allow your agent time to have an open house when there will be no family members present including the dogs! Buyers must have an opportunity to envision themselves in the home and are not interested in how your family has utilized the structure. Show off the house not your lifestyle. Market what you have to sell not what you will be taking with you when you leave. Good luck!
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Fri May 25, 2012
Price, location, visibility, appeal are among the top factors in selling property. Obviously, you can't change the location but the other factors should be important considerations and things you should consider improving.

Making the excuse of having three dogs and three children is just that...an excuse, that will get in the way of your home" ability to sell and the price you could possibly receive for it. There are always ways of making adjustments to deal with difficult situations...but you need to be willing to extent the effort.

John Phillips, , Oklahoma City, OK
Fri May 25, 2012
Goodmorning:

Please do not do what the lady from Oregon suggested: The gentleman from Washington is correct but you have to declutter, Are you signed with a Realtor, if not get one, listen to your Realtor and do your best to do what they suggest and if they do not suggest anything then you might be in trouble, The market is soft right now for sellers and you have to do everything possible to attract that one buyer:
If you do not have a Realtor please contact me and I will give you ideas on how and what I can do to help you sell your home:

Thank You
John Phillips
Angie3m, , Oregon
Fri May 25, 2012
I know of a lady who may be interested. You may want to put your home on Craig's list or whatever kind of free listings they have in Oklahoma. There are a lot of buyers that are interested and looking everywhere. I know of a lady who also matches sellers and buyers. I can get you in contact with her. Please contact me at angie3m@yahoo.com. I could see what I could do for you.
Dan Tabit, Agent, Issaquah, WA
Thu May 24, 2012
Revkoehler,
There are no short cuts. Pack your stuff, put what you don't need in storage. Some facilities offer first month discounts. If you do it right, you may not need too much more time than that.
Find a place for your dogs while you are on the market. One dog may be manageable, but multiples will make life difficult. If you are serious about selling, it's time to get serious. If you are not willing to do what it takes, give yourself and your agent a break.