Michele Dani…, Home Seller in 75024

Our house has not sold yet, but we need to move. Is it best to leave the furniture so the house shows better?

Asked by Michele Daniel Seeley, 75024 Mon Jul 14, 2008

We will be living in extended stay for at least 2 months.

Answers

11
Jim Soda, Agent, Lakewood Ranch, FL
Wed Jul 23, 2008
Some Homes need to be staged. Indifferent Floor plans need to be staged. Many Buyers can't visualize furniture placement. Many times, the competition of the number of homes in the area, demands staging. Give your home all the chances to sell over the competition.
If you are taking the furniture, de-clutter as you’re packing but the Virtual Tour and home photos should be always be taken with furniture. Not every room needs to be staged. You can leave bedrooms to the eye of the Buyer. Plus bedrooms look larger without furnishings. Great Room plans need furniture planning, so it’s best to stage the Great Room and an adjoining room to help with the transition. We encourage Sellers to stage an empty home when it sits too long on the market. We don’t charge a fee and we shop different Staging companies for the best plan and price. Many furniture stores are in the “Staging Business” now that sales are slow. Just a little accessorizing with colors, candles, and knickknacks can help buy don’t over due it. A good professional staging company will have a design person. We have a design person in our group to assist Sellers and Buyers. Good Luck and don’t get too emotional. Let your Realtor handle the emotions.
Jim Soda Group 941-809-7759
Prudential Palms Realty
Sarasota-Lakewood Ranch-Longboat Key
Web Reference:  http://www.jimsoda.com
Kathleen Flo…, Agent, Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Wed Jul 23, 2008
It is interesting to me that some people feel that "staging" a house is best. Perhaps its because they make extra income from the staging services they provide. I have actually sold more houses vacant than with furniture. Some of the responses I have received from potential buyers is that the personal tastes in furniture, even when a house has minimal furniture, gets "in the way" of the buyer being able to visualize their own furniture in the new house. If you have very nice furniture, and the home is not necessarily "high end", I have had responses where people are hesitant to purchase the house because their furniture is not as "nice" and "wouldn't fit the decor" . Or worse, the nice furniture adds to the opinion that the house is "overpriced". When a house is void of furniture, but is clean, painted and has that "ready to move into" look with little to no work associated, the house is easier to sell in my opinion. Your REALTOR who has been working with you and knows the house will be able to be honest and tell you that it would be best to clear out everything or leave the nicest furniture behind.
Web Reference:  http://www.kathfloryan.com
Jeannette Ko…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Wed Jul 23, 2008
Michele,
Typically homes sell much better with furniture in them, because many buyers can not visualize where the furniture would go, or if their furniture would fit in the room. If you can, it' would probably be best to leave the furniture there. However, it's extremely important that the furniture is arranged properly to open the flow of the homem and that it's not too overcrowded. I am a Professional Realtor with Keller Williams In Jacksonville, and I am also an Accredited Staging Professional. If you have pictures of your home, or can give me the MLS #, I can look at the pictures and give you some staging advice!!

Jeannette Kohlhaas 735-8666
Michele Dani…, Home Seller, 75024
Sat Jul 19, 2008
THanks for your help. I'll talk to my realtor.
Edward Rowles, Agent, Wilmington, DE
Sat Jul 19, 2008
You should ask your real estate professional for advice in this area. There are many factors to consider, including how much furniture you have in the home, its condition and what you need for your new home. There are many options. The home does not need to be completely furnished, but a few strategic pieces appropriately placed will help it to show much better. I suggest getting the advice of a home staging company. They will usually give you a free quote and frequently have options for full service staging or giving you reccomendations on how to stage the home yourself. Your local real estate professional can help you in this regard.
Phil Fowler, Agent, Brandon, FL
Mon Jul 14, 2008
Hello Michele,

A home always looks better when it is stage. It gives the prospective home buyer an idea of where to place furniture.

However, if the furniture is worn, do not use it. Make the home inviting by keeping clutter out of it. Remember that less is best.

Phil
Web Reference:  http://www.PhilFowler.com
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Tue Dec 28, 2010
If you are going to reside in an extended stay hotel would not require your home furnishings recommend to keep in your home storage can be expensive.

Staged homes with furniture MAYBE not all the rooms will sell faster than a vacant home .

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Richard N Sm…, , Jacksonville, FL
Tue Dec 28, 2010
You may consider renting your home out. Many real estate companys will manage the home for you. If your Debt to income Ratio is ok to buy another home. Gain the appreciation. Make sure you file a schedule E on your return if you rent it out. 2010
Mmbi Real Es…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Mon Jul 28, 2008
Michele

A lot of other agents have answered this question so I won't belabour the point. I deal mostly with buyers. Homes that I have sold the fastest tend to have some level of furnishing, are well lit, and smell nice. The furniture should be modern and in good repair. If your furniture is worn out, take it away. If it looks nice and enhances the aesthetic of the space leave it. Do take down all personal pictures and anything which ties the home to you. If you can not stage the property nothing beats a fresh coat of flat white paint and sparkling clean floors. Make sure and bathrooms and kitchen are picco bello and do make the faucets shine. You don't need a stager to bring out the best in your home, just visit a model home, you'll get great ideas there.
Jack Vance, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Sun Jul 27, 2008
I agree with Kathleen. Most people can visualize their furniture better when the house is empty. In my opinion most of the staging craze is more for inome generation than anything else. I see more furnished homes that hender the sale than the opposite. Jack Vance
Shonda Campa…, Agent, Jacksonville, FL
Fri Jul 25, 2008
I agree with these agents. Homes to tend to sell a lot quicker when they are staged. You do not have to spend money on a stager, your agent should be able to give you some good tips. It's always good to have something in each room even if it's just a couple of plants.