Only agent showing my home is my listing agent. Any ideas why the home would be shown by other area companies/agents?

Asked by Debra, Gadsden, AL Mon Feb 4, 2013

Answers

13
Wolfert & Wr…, Agent, Roswell, GA
Fri Jun 27, 2014
Either you're not in the MLS, your in it but with incorrect information, you're priced incorrectly or the marketing is insufficient. Is the agent trying to double side the deal by bringing the buyer too? Did you agree to allow them to do dual agency? Have you googled your listing to see how and where it's showing up?

There are lots of possible reasons. I recommend you ask these questions and do some research. Then, discuss it with your agent either get satisfactory answers or hire someone who will do the right job - like me!

Barry Wolfert, Associate Broker
Wolfert & Wrenn Team - Keller Williams
Tim & Jennif…, Agent, Marietta, GA
Wed Jul 17, 2013
You hired the wrong agent.....
Jeremiah Joh…, Both Buyer And Seller, Arlington County, VA
Sat Mar 16, 2013
Get the listing agent to show you the non-public remarks. That might be telling.
Phyllis Adki…, Agent, Woodstock, GA
Wed Feb 6, 2013
That is very strange! Did your agent send you the link from GMLS and FMLS showing you that it is in the system?
Matthew Share, Agent, Marietta, GA
Mon Feb 4, 2013
There are 3 things that work together and balance each other out to make a home sell. They are Price, Promotion, and the Property itself (condition). If you are sure that your home is being promoted well by your agent (i.e. inviting photos that capture and accentuate the best features of the home and maximum exposure on many web sites) then promotion is not likely the problem. The next thing to look at is the home itself. Is it in "style". There are many decorating things that may be beautiful and you may love them; but when marketing a home for sale you need to think of it as a product and you need to stage it to be appealing to the target market that is most likely to be looking for a home like yours. If it is filled with out of fashion decor, it will be very hard to get a buyer interested. This typically would result in showings with no offers; though if the decor is very aparent in the photos, it can kill the showings as well. Finally, the price. Even if the home is being marketed well and shows beautifully, if it is significantly overpriced, it simply will not be shown.

Some additional tips:
You should verify that your agnet has put your home in BOTH GAMLS and FMLS - these are 2 MLS systems that we have in GA. It's important to be in both. Since you seem Internet savvy since you are using this message board, try Googling your property address and see what web sites it is coming up on.
You can call me any time at 678-520-3113 if I can be of further assistance.
Wow. Thanks very much, Matthew, for reminding me why I keep my Real Estate Brokers license on the shelf, collecting dust. You did read that this person already has an agent, didn't you? Yet, you publically invite this person to call you? Maybe you can suggest that the agent the seller is using isn't doing his/her job and they'd be far better off with an agent who knows how to get it done. You know how to do that, don't you, Matthew? You're so very kind to help this person out of the goodness of your heart...

This folks, is why my license sits on the shelf. After 25 years, I could not stand one more "good hearted" agent stealing my client under the guise of "just trying to help the customer." Snakes abound in the Real Estate world. Any of the agents who listed their personal info on how to contact them should be ashamed.

The fact is, the person who posed the question did not give enough information to adequately answer the question, with any certainty. Period.
Flag Mon Oct 27, 2014
Bruce Ailion, Agent, Marietta, GA
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Look at how it appears on line. Perhaps there are no photos or listed in the wrong zip. Some agents have a poor reputation in the community. Could be many things, but probably over priced.

Bruce
Kyla Ward, Agent, Amherst, NH
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Take a look for yourself and find out how available or unavailable your listing information is. I recently had a listing appointment for a property that was getting no attention during the previous listing period. What I found was that it had not been advertised on the MLS by the former agent
and while other listings were going under contract in the surrounding area, not one showing took place at this particular property. I'm sure it would have gone quickly had anyone know it was available.
Amy Bishop, Agent, Charlottesville, VA
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Hi Debra,

There are a lot of variables that could be causing your home not to be shown by anyone but your listing agent. You need to first look at the listing price. Is it comparable to the other homes in the area that are for sale, have sold or are pending. You will also need to make sure the home is being properly marketed by your agent.
In addition, what do the showing instructions say? That can make a big difference to other agents in the level of difficulty it is to show your home.
Good Luck,
Amy Bishop
434-882-4627
Remax Affinity Group
Charlottesville, VA
Hank Miller, Agent, Alpharetta, GA
Mon Feb 4, 2013
post the address, let's see what the issue is

Hank
Web Reference:  http://www.hmtatlanta.com
Mary Lamb, Agent, Woodstock, GA
Mon Feb 4, 2013
Hi Debra,
Is your home on lock box and is it listed with multiple listing services? Do you have restrictions such as "must make and appointment with listing agent?" Has your agent taken pictures that are included with the listing that would encorage other agents to show the property? Please look into your listing agreement and see where your listing information is posted for other agents and buyers to review. Did your agent give you information about what she is putting out into the market place?

Mary Lamb
Assiciate Broker
Maximum One Greater Atlanta
David Zimmer…, , Marietta, GA
Mon Feb 4, 2013
I agree with all the other agents and to sum it up, if there is no special stipulation in your listing contract that you requested only the listing agent show the property, then it is priced too high. If the price is right it does not matter how popular the location is, the home will sell. Other agents only bring their client to see a home if it meets their clients needs, and the first one is price. You must also consider how long it has been on the market. If I can assist you in any other way please let me know.

David Zimmerman
"The Veteran of Real Estate"
USMC Veteran

Keller Williams Realty Signature Partners
Realtor SFR
Cell 770-324-7598
Web: http://www.cobbhomefinder.org
Email: zmanhomeservices@gmail.com

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ZManHomeServices
Twitter: https://twitter.com/DavidZimmerman_
Linked In: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/david-zimmerman/44/326/264
Fred Yancy, Agent, Woodstock, GA
Mon Feb 4, 2013
If you are requiring that your agent be the only agent allowed to show your house then you are limiting your chances for selling the property. Your agents responsibility to you is to market the property to his or her best ability. She/he is likely listing the property in FMLS or GAMLS which advertises the property to other agents. Other agents are representing potential buyers. Potential buyers are a good thing!
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Mon Feb 4, 2013
The other companies & Agent can see it.
If no one is SHOWING it;
You can bet that the LISTING PRICE is too high!
It's a virtual certainty!