Ok, I think I'm about to put my house back on the market. We are just finishing up having a professional painter come thru and spruce up a

Asked by Philaswarm, Perkasie, PA Fri Mar 2, 2012

couple of the main rooms.
I've had 2 agents inquire about why I took my house off the market over a year ago, so I'm thinking of having both of them over to see who can make me the best offer. What are pro/cons of this?

Is anyone else interested in putting their hat into the ring? My house is a former rancher, that the prior owner updated to a full colonial in 2003. Nice size rooms (5 bd rms, 3.5 baths) with an impressive master bedroom suite with shower & jetted tub in the master bath.
I purchased in 2008 at $328, and would simply love to break even right now; which means approximately $335-$340 (to allow for the 6% comissions).

Any thoughts, insights,etc??

Thanks.

Answers

14
Carol Cei, Agent, Maple Glen, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Hello, Philaswarm,

You NEVER want to get agents into a bidding war to list your home - you will LOSE. Selling a home today is all about pricing correctly....not listing with the highest suggested list price. You were unsuccessful on your last foray into the real estate market. Have you analyzed what went wrong and has any agent diagnosed how to correct this to avoid future problems? Here is a link of 20 questions to ask when you are interviewing:
http://www.homegain.com/info_center/other/20_best_questions_…

Good luck with everything. If you would like any further information, don't hesitate to reach out to me.

Carol Cei, Realtor, ePRO
FIVE STAR PROFESSIONAL
HomeGain Pennsylvania Top Producer
ReMax Platinum Club
ReMax Action Realty
215.643.9661
carolcei@remax.net
Web Reference:  http://www.carolcei.com
Eve Gulla, Agent, Fort Washington, PA
Mon Mar 5, 2012
I would be very interested in meeting with you to help you sell your home. I live in Perkasie and know the area very well and have been in the business for 25 years. I would like to give you a marketing presentation on how I can effectively sell your home in the current market. I work in the Doylestown Keller Williams office which is one of the top selling offices in Bucks County.

I look forward to the opportunity. My contact information is below. The best way to reach me is my cell phone number.

Eve Gulla
Keller Williams Real Estate
2003 S. Easton Road, Suite 108
215-340-5700
610-739-2710 (cell)
http://www.EveSellsHomes.com
Web Reference:  http://www.EveSellsHomes.com
Fran and Mark…, Agent, Yardley, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Hi Philaswarm

We all feel your pain but the market will determine what you get for your home. A good local realtor will help you achieve the best results but it will be an uphill battle to get more for you home than what you paid for it in 2008. In the Borough of Perkasie the average price for a 4+ bedroom home was $284,420. The average price in 2011 was $256,940, a decline of about 9.7% (per TrendMLS) . Unless you have made major improvements or got a great deal in 2008 you will most likely take a hit today. If an agent comes to you with pie in the sky numbers, he is most likely fishing for the listing and hoping to convince you to reduce it later. Find an agent who will discuss todays reality with you and how he will market your home for the best results.
Good Luck

Fran and Mark Redding
Prudential Fox & Roach, Realtors
1010 stonyhill Road
Yardley, PA 19067
215-321-3307 Direct
215-208-7169 Cell
http://www.franandmark.com
Web Reference:  http://www.franandmark.com
Clinton Polc…, Agent, Doylestown, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Hi Philaswarm,

I would suggest interviewing no less then three agents. Every agent will have a different view point on marketing your home and what they feel is the best stradegy. An agent should be able to market your home online and in print advertising, open houses and a broker tours. You want your home to get as much exposure as possible. You will also need your agent to be someone that you feel comfortable with, someone that has good communication skills and one that will be honest with you. When listing your home you will want to be priced right to avoid becoming market worn.

Professionally I would love to view your home and give you my opinion and ideas that I have for selling your home at the highest price in the least amount of time.
Personally I would like to preview your home, as I live in a rancher and considered turning it into a colonial.

Clinton Polchan
Weidel Realtors
Cell: (215) 519-7725
Direct: (215) 348-5600
Email: cpolchan@weidel.com
Website http://:www.ClintonPolchan.com
Sherry Poley, Agent, New Hope, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
The best offer is the honest offer. Don't go with the person that gives you the highest price that they say that they can sell it for. The comparables are going to dictate how much you can get for your home.

I would love to meet with you and give you staging infomation and a comparative market analysis.

Please call me at your convenience.
Terry Lohrbe…, Agent, Montgomeryville, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Hello Phila,
The agents who have responded have given you very good advice. If you are looking for agents to interview to market and sell your home I would be interested in meeting with you. I recently listed and sold a home in Perkasie in 47 days and it is already settled. I have 2 other homes I will be listing soon so I would definitely be interested in meeting with you to show you how I sell homes. I am with Long & Foster Real Estate the largest privately owned real estate company in the United states. My contact information is listed below and I would be happy to meet with you at your convenience. I look forward to hearing from you.
Terry

Terry Lohrbeer/Realtor
Long & Foster Real Estate
215-348-0000 ext 7638
267-446-3530 cell#
terrysellsbucks@gmail.com
Web Reference:  http://terrylohrbeer.lnf.com
Kim Rock, Agent, Langhorne, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Hi Phila,
You have some great answers here already.
The main points I want to agree with/reiterate are:
1) Communication. This is key. You may not realize this, and give an agent a free pass for not responding to you ASAP.. but you need to think "If they are not responding to me right away (via their phone's email, or text if they are in a meeting and can't answer), are they responding to other leads or agents who want to view my house?" .. If that agent gets an appt request, and does not reply right away, you may miss the chance to show your property to that potential buyer. And on the topic of appt requests, it's much better if your agent subscribes to an automated appt desk, who can take appt requests and coordinate with you as the owner even if your agent is unavailable or their office's front desk is closed at the time. With a service like e-showings, appts can be made online 24 hours a day.

2) Both online and offline marketing. Online marketing is HUGE nowadays. Obviously anyone who is on here responding to your request is going to be big in online marketing.. But the other agents you are interviewing may not be. Ask that question. What websites do they subscribe to? What websites is your property being featured on? How many photos will they take? etc. Online marketing is a MUST!

Good luck with the sale of your home, and if you ever need future assistance as either a buyer or a seller in PA or NJ (I am licensed in both), I would be happy to help. You can also view my trulia blog through clicking on my profile, or set up a reoccuring search for your next home on my website, http://www.kimberlyrock.com
Web Reference:  http://www.kimberlyrock.com
Philaswarm, Home Seller, Perkasie, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Greatly appreciate all the feed-back, and I should apologize for the "best offer" terminology. In my head it was along the lines of what can or will that agent do to get my house sold? What have they done in this area prior,etc. I wasn't just settling on price, but I will be honest price does have a point to play.

As I said - I'd love to break even, but I believe I'm going to have to face the loss of some finances to sell.

Dave - I fully agree.
Carol - thanks for the list of questions.
Jack and Jay - I'll probably be reaching out over the weekend.
Everyone - thanks again.
Scott Freeman, Agent, Ottsville, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
I suggest you interview at least 3 agents and evaluate their pricing and marketing strategies. Most of all what is their track record for sales and do you like them? This might sound odd but you need to feel the agent is trustworthy and really does care about getting you the best possible price and being responsive to you. I also suggest you trying calling and emailing them and see how quickly they respond (especially if they don’t know you want to sell your house :-) ).

Scott Freeman
Coldwell Banker Hearthside
Specializing in Upper Bucks County
Web Reference:  http://www.Scott4PaHomes.com
Annette Law…, Agent, Palm Harbor, FL
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Phil,
You are timing your homes entry into the market place correctly. I do wish you the greatest success in selling your home. IF you have the time you should most certainly have those previous agents as well as others COMPETE for your business. However, it is most important to know what the right parameters to use in determining who can best protect your needs. You should read a few of my previous posts regarding this in earlier Q & As.
-
Now, one of the five questions for which you need an answer is:
"Does Annette have by back?"
-
In your situation, the agent that has your back will look in in the eye and reveal the error of your ways.
Your error is not unique to you, but to every homeowner who has not properly assessed the attributes of the best agent for them. This agent will say, "Phil, if your home is worth $328, that is what it is worth. Adding the 6% seems logical, but has predictable consequences." (in all likelihood you will add additional negotiation padding on top of that)
-
At this precise moment, you are being interviewed. The agent who has your back can patiently wait to see if you EXPECT different results from the same, previously unsuccessful, behavior.
-
Your response will have an incredible influence on the strategy the agent will use to market your home. Initially, your logic will cause your home to be priced nearly 30% above what it will sell for. The agent that has your back will not offend you, as my statement may have, but will allow this agent to create and present to you the screen play for EXACTLY how the sale of your home will be unveiled.
-
As professionals, we walk a fine line of sharing with you the truth that will get us fired or to perfect the agility to achieve the outcome most beneficial to you within the parameter you set forth.
-
Never, ever forget, your real estate professional does not sell your home...YOU DO. Consequently, when your home does not sell, it is less likely the fault of the agent but the parameters from which they were required to work. (was that gently stated?)

If you need more information or would like a referral to a PA agent just give me a call.
Annette Lawrence
Broker/associate
ReMax Realtec Group
Palm Harbor, Fl
727. 420. 4041
http://www.MyListingbook.listingbook.com
Web Reference:  http://www.MyDunedin.com
Jay Ginsberg, Agent, Doylestown Township, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
The market is very alive and now is an excellent time to list your home for sale.
It is not about the company but all about the individual Realtor. No broad stroke here. Simply who is driving the bus. Who will work for you each & everyday.
Cutting edge tools, experience, successful track record, and professionalism = the best choice.
Don't list your home unless it's FEATURED on the #1 Real Estate website in America, REALTOR.COM.
Being a FEATURED property gives 19 TIMES the exposure you will get with any other Realtor.
This is an expensive and exclusive tool only a very few Realtor can give you.
Call me. Experience, success, professionalism and the best tools will sell your home.
Jay Ginsberg
Jay.Ginsberg@LNF.com
215-431-1199
Alan Openshaw, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Southampton, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Hello Philaswarm,

I am not sure what you mean by the best offer. Do you wan to see which of the Realtors will buy the house?
Or are you seeking to find which will sell it for the cheapest commission or which will promise to sell it for the most money. Either way you are going about it the wrong way.

I can promise to sell it for that number but if I am lying how does that help you? You want a Realtor that is knowledgeable in that market, experienced, knowledgeable, willing to do thework necessary to market the property properly, and one who you have a good feel for.

What they promise to sell the property for and who you think may save you a few sheckels on commission is an exercise in futility. DO your homework and get a good Realtor. Then call me for a mortgage on your next house :-)

Alan Openshaw
Cornerstone Lending Inc
Southampton Pa 18966
215 953 0800
cell 267 992 7276
VOTED BEST IN BUCKS 2010
NMLS ID 143960

Alan
Jack Torres, Agent, Doylestown, PA
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Hi Philaswarm,

It's always a good idea to interview a few agents to find one that you want to list your home for sale. The thing that you don't want, however, is an agent who is just going to tell you what you want to hear. "The best offer" isn't always the best way to go. I'm assuming you will want to work with someone who will work to get your house sold - not just give you the best offer.

I'd be happy to come take a look at your house for you - I work throughout Bucks County, and lived in the Sellersville/Perkasie area for many years, so I'm very familiar with the area. Together we can set up a plan that will help get your house sold in a reasonable amount of time for the best price possible.

Feel free to contact me at 215-740-0607, or email j.torres@cbhearthside.com

I look forward to hearing from you!
Dave Moon, , Greenwood Village, CO
Fri Mar 2, 2012
Where is your home located? When interviewing agents make sure they are Realtors not just sales agents. One should never choose a Realtor by the price they say they can get for your home. Ask that they show you why they suggest a certain price and what is the plan if the home does not sell. Make sure the Realtor adopts your priorities, what is more important time or money. One is always a function of the other.

Good Luck