OK, so I asked a question about selling our home (owned 1.5 years, highest-priced house on our block), and

Asked by Bryan, Havertown, PA Tue Oct 30, 2007

one of you said that it'd be hard to do more than break even, mentioning that the home should be perfect if we want to make a profit. So... what kinds of (relatively easy) things can we do to make that profit. We're looking to sell in a 3-6 month timeframe.

Thanks!

Answers

7
Rich Schiffer, , 19081
Mon Nov 5, 2007
This is a question that gets asked a lot. I have a very detailed article about it on my blog (referrence link, below).
There are certain things that you can do in marketing your home to position yourself for success, including strategies with pricing and offering creative solutions for buyers, as has already been suggested. Every real estate agent in the area will be eager to try their hand at marketing the property for you. I know you also asked a question about buying a home in Drexel Hill. In this market, you really need to concentrate on getting your home sold before making an offer to purchase another, (unless of course you are able to buy in cash). Most sellers dont want to see home sale contingencies in the offers they negotiate, and relatively few buyers have the income to qualify for financing on more than one property.
Good Luck in your process. As always, let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Wed Oct 31, 2007
Differentiate yours from others in the neighbourhood...at some "love" in the front...flowers, something that says, "welcome home"
Remove any clutter in and out of the home.
Offer to pay $1500 towards closing costs.
Web Reference:  http://iansellsnola.com
Fred Lockett, , Malvern, PA
Tue Oct 30, 2007
Hi Bryan. I'm Fred from Coldwell Banker and I was the one who said it would be hard to do. Here's some advice. First of all, your house already is beautiful, you don't need to do anything except keep it clean, neat and repair any damage since you moved in. What you need to do is attract a buyer - hopefully one who isn't concerned with price, but one who has other "problems" you can solve as long as they meet your price. You want someone who is highly motivated to buy a house and who will find the attributes of your irresistible. First step is to visit other homes for sale within a 2 mile radius or so to determine what is good, great, unique about yours.

Then figure out what else you can offer to make a buyer want yours. Maybe a flexible settlement while they sell theirs. Maybe a trade if they are down sizing and you are upsizing! Offer to sell it and rent it back from them while they are waiting for Spring! Do anything creative you can think of and hire a Realtor who can get the message out. Good luck!
Carrie Crowe…, Agent, Southaven, MS
Tue Oct 30, 2007
Bryan,
Clean and neat as a whistle, go through every closet and cupboard and store anything you are not using to make it look neat and spacious. Make sure the landscaping is nice and neat, and a little color, refresh the mulch etc. Always have beds made, rooms picked up. If you have children, pack up non essential items to make rooms look bigger and more spacious. Since it is a newer home you won't have to make any updates. Be sure paint is fresh, not scared or bumped. Everything should be spit shined clean! Good Luck
Pam Winterba…, Agent, Danville, VA
Tue Oct 30, 2007
Remember the model homes.....you want to have you home look like a model! Ask a Realtor to help you or assist you in staging your home. The better it shows the more attractive it is to buyers. You want a quick sale and not 3 - 6 months. Property is like bread, it does not have shelf life.
Nina Chen La…, Agent, Dunn Loring, VA
Tue Oct 30, 2007
I would suggest hiring a Professional Home Stager. Ask the local REALTORS to see who they recommend. A house that shows well tends to sell much more quickly and for a higher price. The increased amount that you spend for their advice will save you thousands.
Ken Herrera…, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Tue Oct 30, 2007
Hello Brian,

There are tons of things you can do to make your house better for the sale. Pick a few decorating magazines and watch a few shows like "design on a dime." Also checking out HGTV.com can put your hands on some great cost-effective tips to have your home looking dynamite. Things you may consider are clutter, paint, landscaping, overall feel of your home. Always do your best to make your home seem bright and airy.

Good Luck,
Ken Herrera
Century 21 Infinity
Web Reference:  http://www.C21Infinity.com