Not satisfied with realtor that is listing my property .What should I do. She gives no advise and asking 13%

Asked by Lucky, Warren, TX Fri Aug 28, 2009

Should I wait till my contract is out or just say no to all offers.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:

Answers

10
allan erps,A…, Agent, Pearl River, NY
Sun Jun 10, 2012
13% ?? That just sounds like something that is beyond comprehension. You can do either of your options. One thing I can say is in this business commission rates are negotiable. Did the Agent tell you what the commission rate was before you signed the papers?
0 votes
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Sun Jun 10, 2012
13% Are you kidding me? I've been buying and selling real estate for 35 years in several different areas of the country as well as in the Virgin Islands and have never in my life heard or or seen such a high commission rate. Based on this alone, coupled with the fact that your' not happy with her service the answer is clear, terminate your listing agreement immediately and go find another Realtor.

I've attached a link below on how to find a great Realtor, take some time, interview several and perhaps consider asking around regarding commission rates. I've never worked in Texas so I don't know that market but I'd be surprised if the standard commission rate range wasn't between 5%-7%.
0 votes
Nic Winder, , Valparaiso, IN
Sat Mar 12, 2011
Go to the agent first. The good ones understand about the word of mouth effects and want to fix the problems in the relationship that come up, give them a chance to redeem themselves. If you and the agent cannot come up with an acceptable solution, talk to the broker.

The listing contract is not with the specific agent but instead with the broker. The broker can switch agents or even take over the listing them self. They may even just have to talk to the agent to get things straighten out.

In both cases have specifics. What advice did you seek but did not get? What services do you feel you should be receiving but are not.

If the worst comes to it, ask about getting a mutual release. Depending on the contract, it is possible that there will be a penalty.

The worst things you can do though is wait til the contract is up without attempting to take action and saying no to all offers.

I can't promise that you'll be able to get out of the contract. But if you take action and try to get issues resolved at least you can go to the end knowing you tried.

Saying no to a legitimate offer because you don't like the agent will come back to bite you, especially in the slow market today. You tell that buyer no, and they will go and find another house no problems. However, for you, it could be a long wait for another offer to come along and who knows it may not even be as high as the first offer you turned down.

Negotiate with the offers you get, not only get you out of the relationship with the agent, but out of the house your trying to sell too.
0 votes
Twostrands, Home Buyer, Shreveport, LA
Sat Mar 12, 2011
Very typical story, told a real estate agent only wanted to spend 200,000 for a house not a penny more of course she showed me one house for 299,000 then one for 349,000 of course all her listings, then she said since I had contacted her I was obligated to use her exclusively in my house search, After reading the answers to your questions, they are all wrong, do not talk to your agent go straight to the broker tell him or her that this woman was incompetent and her ratte is ridicoulis, demand to be let out of your contract, if you contact the agent she will just try to defend herself and the lies will occur, straight to the broker, be stern yet polite be most important fire the agent and remind the broker that word of mouth can be damaging to people contemplating buying a house, You ae the custumer all real estate agents have to sell is service, if it is poor firre them, period
0 votes
Chris and Ma…, Agent, Redding, CA
Wed Sep 16, 2009
Chances are, your Realtor senses you are not satisfied with her. Don't be afraid to speak openly and honestly with her. If you have legitimate reasons to be disatisfied and she in fact is not performing then you should be able to cancel the agreement . If she's a descent realtor, I bet you she lets you off the hook after you two talk.

Hope it goes well. Report back please.
Web Reference:  http://shastaliving.com
0 votes
Susan Romane…, Agent, Flagler, CO
Sat Aug 29, 2009
There should be an "opt out" clause on your listing agreement, but possibly with a penalty if you withdraw early. If your agent cannot justify that he/she is doing all she can to sell, advertise and show the property, then you can speak with the broker and state your dissatisfaction.
0 votes
Erin Rowley…, Agent, Savannah, GA
Sat Aug 29, 2009
In the words of Donald Trump... "you're fired!"

lol.

But seriously, sit down with the agent and the broker, talk it out, and if no agreement is made, then ask what the next step is.

Good Luck.
0 votes
Dominick Dina, Agent, San Antonio, TX
Sat Aug 29, 2009
Lucky,

Wow! 13%! Maybe we should move to Warren.

You do need to talk with the agent first. If no resolution, then talk with the broker.

Best wishes,

Dominick Dina, Broker/Owner
Christian Realty San Antonio
0 votes
Abe Mills, Agent, Greenville, SC
Fri Aug 28, 2009
If you say no to a full price offer, lawfully you owe her the commission. I would talk to her broker and get them to release you if you are that upset with her.

Good Luck!
0 votes
T.E. & Naima…, Agent, Dallas, TX
Fri Aug 28, 2009
You can contact her broker. He can handle your home himself or assign another Realtor from the office.

Sorry about your situation.

Naima
0 votes
Search Advice
Search
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more