New Agents (or when you were new): How many transactions did you do your first year?

Asked by Ruthless, 60558 Mon Oct 1, 2007

When you are a new Realtor, it is hard to find someone to trust you as their agent. Most new real estate agents don't last two years. (I didn't) Yet everyone has to start somewhere. I think it would help, new, old and consumers alike to hear how many transactions a first year agent might do. My very first month as an Agent (Broker and Realtor) back in 1995, I was top listing agent in the entire state of North and South Carolina combined. Let's hear some horror stories and success stories. I envy the naive optimism of a new agent. (I put this in selling because they say, listings are king.)

Answers

9
Holly Grigai…, Agent, Cottonwood, AZ
Fri Oct 26, 2007
I think I did 4-6 deals...but what I remember MUCH MUCH better was that my take for the year was a whopping 12,000... less expenses....I also clearly remember my mom chewing me out for not using my degree to get a "real" job... Ya know, I think I actually made more money attending college full time the year prior! But the sacrafice to live in paradise was worth a few tough years until my business grew and flourished. And it doesn't hurt that lots which sold for 3,000 then, now sell for 30-40K...

So many people get into to this business thinking they will make a killing, the truth is, according to the National Association of REALTORS, the average REALTOR across the nation makes about 30-40K a year.
Richard M. J…, , Sherman Oaks, CA
Fri Oct 26, 2007
Hi Ruth, I believe I sold 6 homes my first year. I did horrible the next and did exceptionally well last year. This year is not what I was hoping for but I'm optimistic that 2008 will be a great year with people looking for a bargain will come back into the market.
Holly Grigai…, Agent, Cottonwood, AZ
Fri Oct 26, 2007
Just read your question again, and thought it pertinent to mention about 40-60 % of new agents do not survive past the first year. 80-90 percent do not make it past 3 years. It will take a new agent about five years to really feel comfortable and confident about their own skills and knowledge of their local real estate market. Unfortunately, they do not tell you this in real estate school..nor do they tell you that everything you learned to get your license, hasvery little to do with what you actually NEED to know!
Ruthless, , 60558
Sat Oct 27, 2007
Thanks for the answers, thumbs up all around. Holly, I think your comment about making more money while you were IN college hits home. I remember after I got out of college and started a career in outside sales, that I was never taught a thing about "selling." That's why I know so much about real estate today. I got all the sales books and tapes to learn the skills of selling. Most of the people hawking sales training sell real estate.

As it is in just about any business where you are self employed, it takes a couple of years to start getting referrals. In real estate because the average person moves every 5 to 7 years, the cycle is longer for generating enough referrals to feel comfortable.
Ruth
Ute Ferdig -…, Agent, New Castle, DE
Mon Oct 1, 2007
Hi Ruth. I had 10. 9 buyer sides and 1 listing. I was totally new to the area myself. No official training from the broker, but one lovely agent who took me under her wings and mentored me (thanks Karen). I had one huge advantage over most newbies. I was very familiar with how to write contracts, but I was not so familiar with the area that I was selling in. I don't think any of my clients really ever knew how new I was.
Web Reference:  http://www.go2kw.com
J R, , New York, NY
Mon Nov 12, 2007
I think I did 6 sides and made about 40,000.
Ruthless, , 60558
Mon Nov 12, 2007
Congratulations Holly on best answer.
Ruth
Michael Doyle, Agent, Brooklyn Park, MN
Sat Oct 27, 2007
I only did three or four sales my first year in 1998. I started by working with friends and family. It really took three years before I was making a living at it. You need some cash reserves or be willing to go into debt to make it through the first year.
Ruthless, , 60558
Fri Oct 26, 2007
How about some more answers?