Neighbor has a few acres to sell. Who would be responsible for paying for survey?

Asked by Mark, North Carolina Fri Nov 14, 2008

Answers

3
Rebecca Savi…, , Raleigh, NC
Sat Nov 15, 2008
If the land is raw acreage the seller "should" have a recent survey prior to listing the home. Once the property is under contract a buyer "should" have another survey completed or have the survey reviewed and remarked.

It would be silly if seller/buyer never completed a survey, but it is possible for a sale to be completed with a survey.
Shirley Kell…, Agent, Waynesville, NC
Fri Nov 14, 2008
Mark - In our area, a survey is not required, but recommended. When I take a listing, I recommend that the seller get the survey so we know exactly what we are selling. Then they can take that fee into consideration when pricing the property. If they don't do it before, usually the buyer will pay for it.

Let me know if you need any more assistance. You can reach me via email at: ShirleyKelley@KW.com
Vicky Chrisn…, Agent, Purcellvile, VA
Fri Nov 14, 2008
Generally the buyer because it will be required by the lender. Otherwise, it's not required, but I don't think I'd buy property without a survey. You can try to negotiate the seller to pay for it in the contract, but if the contract doesn't say the seller is responsible, then he's not.