Home Selling in Leavenworth>Question Details

motordiva23, Home Seller in Leavenworth, KS

Need advice on selling my house!

Asked by motordiva23, Leavenworth, KS Sun Jan 20, 2013

I have a house in Leavenworth that I am wanting to sell. I am a motivated seller but with no hits the last time it was listed I chose to rent it out. My renters will be out at the end of the month and I heard mixed reviews about selling homes on online auctions. Can anyone give any incite?

Answers

12
This question posted Jan 2013. ---------Diva's problem was solved long ago.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Feb 5, 2014
I wouldn't recommend auctions unless you are familiar with them. Your best bet is to contact a local Realtor to work with. They can give you a comparative market analysis and provide you with the best tools to help get your home sold.

Tammy Hayes, Realtor, Re/Max Palm Realty, http://www.tammyhayes.remaxagent.com/
You will have better luck hiring an agent. They should be able to sell it quick if you are motivated and price it right. Auctions are too much of an unknown. Good luck!

As you can see, there is more than one answer to reach your desired end point--a sign in the yard that says "SOLD!" Set up an interview process. Call and invite licensed REALTORS® from your local area to visit your home and tell you why they should have your listing. We should work for you, not get your listing by default because we answered the call. Agency agreements are negotiable. Make sure the length of contract gives the agent time to prove their meddle but short enough to allow you to go with another agency if they are not performing (30/60/90+ days whatever YOU are comfortable with). The key is to meet several agents and not just the first one willing to come look at your home. You DO have the right to define the terms of the agreement and add a clause which states the agreement can be terminated at any time. It is the choice of the agent to agree or not take the listing.

-Ken Schmidt, MBA, Licensed REALTOR®
Would love to give you some insight on the auctions however I have never done a transaction at an auction. Some allow Realtors to place bids with the buyers and some do not. I have not heard very many homes selling that way so I believe it is not that popular or profitable. I have sold real estate in Leavenworth for over 25 years and have been with Reece and Nichols Premier since 2009. I was an appraiser back in the 1980's and would like to offer you a free market evaluation on your house. This report will show you what the market says you should be able to sell your house for. You are not obligated to list it with me and there is no charge. I do this in hopes that if you do decide to put it on the market you would give me an opportunity. You can contact me at 913-306-1644. Have a nice day.
People go to an auction expecting to get a deal. If you want to sell your property below actual market value go ahead and auction it. If you have the ability, I would put the home on the market with a professional Realtor before April 1st. The market is coming back and we expect to see a lot of buyers out this spring. Price the home fair and it will selll. Good Luck and if you the name of a Realtor let me know. Chris Barone, 620.719.8333, Platinum Realty
Good Evening,
I have not ever met or spoken to anyone who has sold there house through auction. It is no very common. I suggest you hire a real professional. I suggest you hire me. I am an Associate Broker with Reece and Nichols Premier Realty in Leavenworth. I am also a 2nd generation realtor for this area and have over 20 years experience. I would love to have an opportunity to speak with you about how I can assist you in getting your house sold. Doesn't hurt to talk. Please give me a call on my cell 913-306-1644 and please visit my page on trulia and read a few of the recommendation remarks. Have a nice evening and I hope to hear from you.
Hi Motor Diva

Go with a Realtor that you are comfortable with, you will do financially better.

Ruth
Web Reference: http://www.ruthandperry.com
You would be best served by contacting a local agent who could take a look at your house and give you useful advice on items that should be addressed before listing your home especially since the house was rented.
Also the agent can provide you with current market data. You mentioned the property had been rented, a lot have changed in the real estate market in a year.
When your tenant vacates, freshly paint the interior. If the hardwood floors are worn, have them refinished. If it smells like cigarette smoke, dogs, cats, mice...eradicate it. If faucets are dripping or cabinet or closet doors/hinges are crooked, fix them.

I recommend that you replace dated glass tub doors with a shiny new, well-installed chrome shower curtain rod and a new cheerful sophisticated shower curtain.

It would be best to deliver the home with a kitchen that ticks these boxes: natural stone or solid surface countertops (NO Formica), all stainless steel appliances (if not SS, black is your only other option), all applicances are no older than 4 years old, all appliances are full-size, kitchen includes range, microwave, dishwasher and refrigerator. All cabinets and drawers are functional. If the drawer pulls are gold and/or dated, replace them.

No popcorn or suspended ceilings...EVER.

Avoid laminate flooring. It sounds like you are walking on cardboard and feels slippery and unnatural. It may be cheaper but everyone who sees and walks on it will know it was cheap.

Make sure every window is very clean inside and out and that all window treatments are raised so that the visitor can see out of every window, easily, even the ones that look out at the highway or past the city dump.

Considering spending a few thousand dollars to have the home PROFESSIONALLY staged. Do not attempt to do it yourself. For some properties showing it vacant works. But for most, it really helps for visitors to see how "stylish" furniture fills up the space.

You the homeowner should NEVER be there during showings. Its very intimidating to prospective buyers. This one rule alone should explain why FSBO sellers generally receive about -7% less than what a professional agent would sell the same home for. No matter how curious you are to meet the prospect or how much benefit you think you'll gain by talking to them face-to-face, you stand an even bigger chance of scaring them off forever.

Next hire a broker. Someone who has 5-20 years of experience and who feels knowledgeable, ethical and competent. Don't be wowwed by the highest price that each agent tells you then can sell the house for. They want to have the listing. They may not be totally realistic in what the estimate because they want to have you choose them. Don't force them to cut their commission. The commission they offer to their colleagues to bring buyers is a very enticing incentive. If you cut the commission, agents representing buyers, may well favor sending their clients to properties that offer them full commissions. It is short-sighted on the part of a seller.

When selecting a price 70% of it is science and 30% is art. Look at the recently sold comparables and the actively available sales. Be objective about what your home offers in comparison. Listen closely to what the agents say. Think about what motivated you to buy it. Chances are good your buyer will be motivated by the exact same things. If you bought it for its good value, chances your buyer will want to feel like it is a good value too. Are there are other good properties currently available ? Do you want to sell first or last ?

Don't list yourself. Don't mess around with online auctions. Hire a skilled agent who communicates well and works with a large firm that has online marketing might. Be sure to trust your agent.

It will sell if you have professional photography and floorplans available online and you price it correctly from the launch.

I just launched a new listing last Sunday at a debut Open House. 20 unique visitors. 3 strong offers. Im expecting the buyer to sign the contract on Mon or Tue.

Bon chance.
Motofrdiva,
You need a full time, successful professional to list and market your property. I agree with Keith, chances are the last time you were overpriced, but the market has changed a lot in the past several months.
Start by putting your efforts into finding the best local professional agent, who has a great track record of getting listings sold. Some agents list a lot of properties, but only sell enough to make a living. Others list a few, but sell them all because they put their energy into each one.
Once you find a great agent, listen to them. Some clients try to "help" and defeat their purpose. A great agent knows what works, has proven it over time and gets results.
Was your home actually listed on the MLS and marketed by a quality Realtor, or did you do for sale by owner. If it was on the MLS and you had no activity, the house is overpriced for it's condition. I've noticed that tenants are good at deterring showings to. Tenants often decline showing requests if the showing or tell agents they didn't know about a showing when they come to the door.

I'd recommend reviewing the price, the showing condition of the property, the marketing methods, and try again. I haven't heard of anyone making more by selling at auction.