My wife and I are thinking of selling our home within the next two years and moving out of Omaha to be closer to one of our adult children.

Asked by Jreidelb, Omaha, NE Thu Aug 2, 2012

We are uncertain how much more to invest in our home before we sell it. For example, the carpet should likely be replaced in several rooms. Should we purchase and install new carpet or provide a prospective new owner with a carpet allowance of some sort?

We have several other questions of this nature and wonder who we could talk to in order to determine what makes the best financial sense before we sell our home in two years. Your advice is appreciated.

Answers

6
John Lorkovic’s answer
John Lorkovic, Agent, Omaha, NE
Mon Sep 17, 2012
New paint and carpet are the two upgrades that will give you the best return on your investment. My suggestion would be to call an experienced, professsional real estate agent . An experienced agent will give you advice on what repairs/improvements would give you the best return on your investment. In todays real estate market, spending some time (and money) on your home now will absolutely bring you big benefits when it it time to sell....but you need to direct your efforts on the right improvements.
I would be happy to take a no-obligation look at your home. JLork@kw.com
Mark Taylor, Agent, Omaha, NE
Mon Apr 22, 2013
You should replace the carpet before it gos on the market.
Megan McCorm…, Agent, Omaha, NE
Sat Apr 20, 2013
There are a lot of small, inexpensive things you can do to get your home ready for sale. Try to look at it with a fresh eye. Buyers appreciate cleanliness and neatness. Unclutter your home - rent a storage locker to store excess furniture and off season clothes. I have a list of suggestions posted on my website at http://www.movenready.com/New_Projects.html.
Try this link for a list of suggestions - http://www.movenready.com (loveitorlistit page). Hope this helps get you started!
Flag Sat Apr 20, 2013
, ,
Thu Aug 16, 2012
The buyer's first impression is important. Purchase new flooring before going on the market. You want your house to shine and "WOW" the person coming into it. Seek the advice of several agents to help you determine what is a priority and what will provide you the best return on your investment. Please let me know if I can answer other questions for you. lschraeder@npdodge.com
Thanks for your input Lisa. We appreciate your time and response.
Flag Thu Aug 16, 2012
Michael Maley, Agent, Omaha, NE
Thu Aug 2, 2012
Good Evening Jreidelb, actually the idea of a carpet allowance is in theory a good idea, but underwriters will not allow a carpet allowance.

If you do have any questions about what to do to your home before you put it on the market, or how much to invest I would be very happy to come and take a look and give you my opinion on what to do in this market.

Hope some of this information helped.

You can reach me at michael.maley@cbshome.com or 402-981-7400.
Joe Conowitch, Agent, Colville, WA
Thu Aug 2, 2012
New carpeting in a neutral color is always a good boost or choosing to go to a wood laminate floor is also quite popular depending on the space...
Thanks for your time and advice Joe.
Flag Thu Aug 2, 2012