13 Palmetto…, Home Seller in Charleston, SC

My sister listed my late mother's high-end home with a friend of the family's whose representation of the home in the MLS listing is awful.

Asked by 13 Palmetto Rd, Charleston, SC, Charleston, SC Mon May 20, 2013

The featured photo is half frame and does nothing to indicate the home's curb appeal. And he starts off the property description talking about Corian countertops in the kitchen. It's pretty dismal. This is a gorgeous 1939 home on a half-acre lot 5 minutes from downtown. I've put together a website with a much better representation of the home. What is the most effective way for me as one of the owners to market the house? It's been listed 3.5 months already, and I have no confidence in the realtor's ability to sell it given his dismal presentation of the property. Please advise..

Answers

13
Topher Kauff…, Agent, Charleston, SC
Mon Feb 16, 2015
First sorry to hear about your lost; I understand this is a tough time to sell a home.

There is no easy way to say how to do a quick fix, but the most common mistake in Real Estate is doing business with a friend of the family. I constantly am fixing this problem for listing that have gone south. You have to be able to be honest about expectation, goal, and most importantly your back pocket with your LISTING AGENT. Most people find this hard to do with a "family friend".

The simplest thing to do is to start over. Interview a few agents. Get an out side prospective,.

I hope this works out for you.

Let me know if you need anymore advice.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Fri May 24, 2013
Stay out of it?

Unless the family agreed that you could take over the marketing if your sister did a bad job hiring an agent, then I really think you would do everybody a favor by stepping back from this, let the "friend of the family" do what they do WITH YOUR FULL SUPPORT, and have your sister's back, right or wrong.

Personally, I would take my website down, and devote my time and energies to keeping the memories of my mother alive within the family. The little bit of money that your agent is costing the estate is trivial compared to the things that really matter in life.

Melissa Goss, , Center Moriches, NY
Fri May 24, 2013
This is why I never work with friends or family... it is just risky business, as if you are dissatisfied it could end all ties.

Ask to have the home withdrawn. With no obligation/commission date... it is unlikely the broker will allow it, but for now you are stuck with this agent till you sell the home, or it expires.

The real issue however might be in the price, and it is not always the agent.

Has he/she scheduled any open houses yet?
13 Palmetto…, Home Seller, Charleston, SC
Fri May 24, 2013
Yay! I'm not sure why exactly, but the half-frame photo featured in the online listings for the past 4 months appears to have been replaced finally with a full-frame photo.

Progress! Maybe my entreaties to my sister finally paid off.

Still no progress on the description, though, which I will continue to press on.

Much thanks to everyone who offered advice in this topic. It's appreciated
Lee Keadle, Agent, Charleston, SC
Tue May 21, 2013
Honestly, it sounds like you’ve done about as much as you can do – you’ve voiced your concerns, but you can’t make her change anything about the listing since it’s in her name. In this business we often see buyers and sellers opt for a family member or friend to represent them, even if that person is not the most qualified to do so in terms of specializations or production. The only thing I can recommend would be to offer to take pictures yourself and write up a new remarks section – that would make the listing agent’s job easy (simply uploading new info to the MLS to spruce things up).
Michael DeLa…, Agent, Charleston, SC
Tue May 21, 2013
Honestly, I would have a sit down and talk to the Realtor, and your sister, candidly about your concerns. Make sure to discuss pricing. I think that is where your real problem may lay.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Tue May 21, 2013
Doing any type of business with family or friends is to be considered, "risky business." I'm sure you have heard this expression before but here's another to take to the bank, " walking on egg shells" will not bring about a solution.

It's time to be direct and deal with the issues, otherwise accept it and expect more of the same. Another way of viewing this is that by taking a passive position you are enabling someone to continue to exist with poor performance.

The fact that you felt obligated to set to the task of developing your own personal website for the home speaks volumes....you just need to listen to yourself and then do what is necessary.

Time for a "powwow"

Maria Batista, Agent, Jersey City, NJ
Tue May 21, 2013
In my opinion, I think you should contact the listing agent and let him know you do not approve of his advertising. Let him know what you want changed. I am sure he'd be more than happy to change the description and the photos.
Donald Mituz…, Agent, Kaatonah, NY
Tue May 21, 2013
As a Realtor, I always welcome comments and suggestions when marketing a property. I think you need to contact the agent and express your concerns. If you have a better, as well as high resolution photo of the front of the property, why not email it to the agent as a suggestion. I happen to agree that the lead photo could be improved and should be a full horizontal shot instead of a vertical one. My suggestion would be to write your own description as well as send a photo to the listing agent. I think the interior photos of the home are quite attractive although I don't know why they would use the bathroom pictures.

I'm sure the Realtor for your late mother's home just wants to do a good job and help sell the property. I think you should contact her and express your concerns. As long as it's not being done in a confrontational way I believe you will be pleasantly surprised.

Don Mituzas
Mon May 20, 2013
Just some clarification -- I've already been quite candid about my concerns since the day the listing went up but to no effect. I have no power in the situation since my sister is executor of the estate and is the one who contracted the listing agent. Since the realtor is a friend of the family she will not press the issue. She seems to consider it rude to do so. It's awesome. (;
Torri Jacobs…, Agent, MT PLEASANT, SC
Mon May 20, 2013
I also suggest that you speak with your Realtor. It is our job to listen to our clients. I usually send the listing writeup to my clients to review, as I value their feedback.

Torri Jacobsen
Mon May 20, 2013
13 Palmetto road,
I also would suggest that you speak directly to the realtor that is currently marketing the home. As an owner of the property you do have the right to give in put into the details that go into the marketing. Part of being a good realtor is knowing when to listen to your clients and he should be willing to listen to what you have to say and may appreciate your input.
Cordially,
Christine House
Christine@century21broadhurst.com
I've already been quite vocal about my concerns but to no effect. I have no power in the situation since my sister is executor of the estate and is the one who contracted the listing agent. Since the realtor is a friend of the family she will not press the issue.. She seems to consider it rude to do so. Please advise
Flag Mon May 20, 2013
Flag Mon May 20, 2013
Mikki Ramey, Agent, Daniel Island, SC
Mon May 20, 2013
My first suggestion would be to talk with the realtor. The realtor should be willing to hear your suggestions. The picture on Trulia is not the first picture on MLS. The realtor could go on Trulia and change the picture. Here is the listing on MLS that most realtors see.
http://ctarmls.com/CharlestonReports/ListitLib/show_report.a…
I've already been quite vocal about my concerns but to no effect. I have no power in the situation since my sister is executor of the estate and is the one who contracted the listing agent. Since the realtor is a friend of the family she will not press the issue.. She seems to consider it rude to do so. Please advise..
Flag Mon May 20, 2013
Flag Mon May 20, 2013
Flag Mon May 20, 2013