My realtor switched companies. The old broker cancelled our listing agreement so my realtor good list it with her new company. We have not signed a

Asked by Jo1c, Westminster, CO Fri Nov 8, 2013

listing agreement with the new company. My realtor keeps saying we have an agreement. Wouldn't the above make our original agreement invalid?

Answers

11
Terry McCarl…, Agent, Cape Coral, FL
Sat Nov 9, 2013
As others have told you the listing belongs to the Broker not the agent. If the Broker totally released you the listing agreement is no longer valid.
Laura Coffey, Agent, Santa Clarita, CA
Sat Nov 9, 2013
If the broker of her previous company gave you a full cancellation you do not have to sign with her again. You have a cancelled contract. So you are right in the fact you are no longer in contract with her. Sounds like she assumed you would re-list with her at the new company.
Steven Ornel…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Fri Nov 8, 2013
Hi Jo1c,

Technically, the Broker/Brokerage owns the listing, not the Agent. Therefore, given the original Broker cancelled the Listing you no longer have a valid Listing Agreement in place.

In order to sell your property the new Broker needs you to sign a brand new Listing Agreement.

-Steve
This what I thought & was verified by the original broker. I just talked to the new broker, who says the contract was transferred, not cancelled. She's checking into it.
Flag Fri Nov 8, 2013
Phil Rotondo, Agent, Melbourne, FL
Fri Nov 8, 2013
Not necessarily....you may need an unconditional release from the original broker. But to be sure, you should consult an attorney.
The listing broker verified with me that she "released" the listing & has told me herself, that it has been cancelled.
Flag Fri Nov 8, 2013
Alex Montelo…, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Sat Mar 14, 2015
If you have a cancelled Listing Agreement, you are out of contract. Do you have a copy of the cancelled listing agreement? If not, you can request one from the agent or go direct to the Broker of the company.

Best of Luck,

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cel
BRE lic #01456982
Alvin King, Agent, Las Vegas, NV
Mon Oct 6, 2014
The listing agreement that you signed, is with the Brokerage, and not with the Agent. The listing can be transferred to another company, if the Seller agrees in writing to the transfer. Good Luck!
Tristam Biel…, Agent, South Pasadena, CA
Mon Oct 6, 2014
Listings belong to the broker, therefore the agent cannot carry it to their new brokerage. If the old broker canceled the agreement, you no longer have a listing in place.
Web Reference:  http://www.neladigs.com
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Sat Oct 4, 2014
If the previous Broker has released you then you are correct, you no longer have a valid contract with that agency.
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sat Oct 4, 2014
Are you sure the old broker cancelled the listing or just didn't allow the agent to take it with him? I can't imagine a broker actually canceling a good listing. But then I can't see a broker trying to force a client to keep a listing with his brokerage if the client likes and has confidence in the agent that originally wrote the listing. Interesting.
Alex Montelo…, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Sat Oct 4, 2014
If the listing was cancelled by the broker, it is null and void. You can execute a new listing with a new brokerage if you wish.

Alex Montelongo/Broker
Coldwell Banker Star Realty
562-810-7387 Cell
BRE Lic #01456982
JR Thrasher, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Nov 12, 2013
Listing agreements go with the Broker, not the agent.

J.R. Thrasher
http://www.SanDiegoRealEstateVeterans.com
619-929-0105