My parents have both passed away. It's been four yrs now. They left me their house in their will and I am executor of the estate. Can I sell it?

Asked by Medicalgirlj32, Macon, GA Fri Apr 22, 2011

I have been paying on the mortgage the passed 4 yrs and like 38,000 is left owed. Bank of America is a pain in the butt to deal with. Can I sell this house as is without doing anything and then pay the bank off? Or what do I need to do first. I really need to sell this property.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Joan Brown, Agent, Macon, GA
Fri Apr 22, 2011
After the Will is Probated. If your parents were in a Nursing Home, the State will try to attach the
home in an effort to collect part of their expenditures at the Nursing Home.

If your parents were not confined to a Nursing Home, then an attorney can give you the legal advice
as to whether or not you can get the release from the Bank of America to sell the property. I am
a real estate broker with 33 years experience if you need help from a real estate Broker, my office
number is 478-742-1001.
1 vote
Gus Pishue, Agent, Everett, WA
Fri Apr 22, 2011
I suggest that you speak to an attorney and ask the lawyer what your options are. If you are the owner of the house now, you should be able to sell it. The lawyer will know what you need to do. Good luck.
1 vote
BG, Home Buyer, Phoenix, AZ
Fri Apr 22, 2011
in general: you list the house with an agent. He/She sold the house. Money goes into an escrow/Title account. They pay the bank, creditors, liens, agents etc .. Title give you the remain money (if under then it called Shortsale). And yes you can list your house "As is, Where is , and no credit to be given for repairs".

Talk to at least 3 agents.
1 vote
Michael Hamm…, Agent, Suwanee, GA
Fri Apr 22, 2011
These type questions are best asked of an attorney who specializes in real estate and/or estate planning, Med. Please call or email if I may suggest one for you.

Good Luck!

Michael Hammond
1 vote
Christopher…, Agent, Tarrytown, NY
Fri Apr 22, 2011
Hi, I would speak with the attorney representing the will. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to sell them home if you are the sole beneficiary. The will might have to be probated so definitely speak with the attorney if there is one.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
Web Reference:
0 votes
Dallas Texas, Agent, Dallas, TN
Fri Apr 22, 2011
If you have right to sell the home then most likely you could recommend to confer with an attorney with any questions you may have.

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes
Jonathan Rai…, Agent, Macon, GA
Fri Apr 22, 2011
Hi! As others have said, you will need to speak to an attorney. Did you work with an attorney to handle the will? That person would probably be a good resource.

To sell the property, you'll need the signatures of all owners, if the house was left to more than just yourself.

You can sell the house without doing any improvements, but there are things you can do to make the house more salable with minimal effort. Those things can result in a quicker sale and/or more money.

The first thing to do is to check with the attorney to make sure you sell the house. Pinkston and Associates is a great firm to work with on real estate matters, though you may need to talk to a probate specialist.

The next thing is to is to decide your priorities. The house will need to look great to compete in today's market place, or you will need to sell it below market value. People are looking for deals out there, and selling it below market could get it off your hands faster.

I can provide a free home valuation if you would like with no obligation. Feel free to click on my profile and call or email me with more details about your home.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in Macon Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more