My neighbor's tree is overgrowing into my backyard, who is responsible to cut the overgrowing part of the tree in my back?

Asked by Fang Frank Lu, Austin, TX Sun Jul 13, 2014

Answers

6
Diana Hellman’s answer
Diana Hellman, Agent, Larchmont, NY
Sun Jul 13, 2014
If you have a friendly relationship with your neighbor, your best bet is to speak with him or her and let them know about this situation. They may be unaware and will have it trimmed after your discussion. Alternatively, if you are not getting satisfaction that they will be doing anything, you can let them know that the next time you bring someone in to trim the trees on your property, you will be trimming the part on your property.
Connie Mitch…, Agent, South Padre Island, TX
Thu Nov 13, 2014
I Agree with Ranee. It is your responsibility to prune vegetation encroaching onto your property. But a good neighbor will communicate prior to acting to keep peace in the neighborhood. Take care when trimming to stay on your property side when trimming. I had a neighbor lean over six feet onto my property and cut branches off my tree at the trunk. It did not kill the tree, but it will forever look stupid as it is now half of a tree. Had he communicated with me, I would have had a professional trim the tree away from his fence line. I did not report him or file an official complaint, but I certainly communicated his trespassing actions will not be tolerated again. And then I planted more trees :)
Jim Morelli, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Nov 13, 2014
I would first contact the neighbor out of courtesy. If they won't cooperate you should feel free to trim them.
Judi Monday,…, Agent, Green Valley, AZ
Wed Nov 12, 2014
I would give you neighbor a call and let them know their tree has overgrown into your yard. It that doesn't work then contact your HOA if you have one.
Michael Brow…, Agent, Allen, TX
Wed Nov 12, 2014
I would talk tho them first, if they don't respond, I would contact the HOA or City.
Ranee Bray, Agent, Austin, TX
Tue Sep 30, 2014
The branches over your yard would be your responsibility to trim. However, you must take care in doing so. You don't want to damage the tree itself. This is a situation of "nuisance".

I would talk to the neighbor first and just let them know. I have found many times when you bring it to their attention they will take care of it, or acknowledge that they are going to take care of it soon.

I know in my own backyard the tree's are so heavily intertwined with my neighbors it could be really tricky to figure out where each branch originates!

Good luck... here's to friendly neighbors.

B. Ranee Bray
TCP Realty
512-270-9750