My landlord is selling the home we are renting...are we allowed to ask the possible buyers their intentions? We live in California if that helps.

Asked by Info, Rohnert Park, CA Sun Jul 14, 2013

Answers

3
Terry Bell, Agent, Santa Rosa, CA
Tue Jul 16, 2013
Sometimes buyers are investors that want to keep tenants. The person to talk to is the seller or property manager, and you should also find out what notice they plan on giving you. I have shown many tenant occupied homes, and often a tenant will volunteer that they would love to stay if the buyer wants a tenant. So if you would like to stay, it's a good idea to have the place neat, and show the house with a smile:)))
Jill Murty, Agent, Mission Viejo, CA
Mon Jul 15, 2013
It could be a little awkward for the buyers if you ask their intentions directly. The buyers may feel put on the spot, especially if they are going to buy the property to live in it. Once you found out the property was for sale, you probably stated your desire to stay and in turn, the agent likely stated in the listing that you'd like to continue to lease the property should the buyer be an investor.

Whether the buyer is an investor or owner occupant, the new owner must honor the remainder of your lease. Ask your landlord or agent if the buyers wish to continue to rent to you. If not, start looking for another place.
David Poulsen, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Sun Jul 14, 2013
Of course you should ask their intetions. They may be investors and want to keep you there.
Their Realtor told me that I could not ask any questions...so I was just checking...
Flag Mon Jul 15, 2013