My house was vandalized with a lockbox on. Can I break the contract without a lawsuit?

Asked by Barbey, Rocky Point, NY Sat Jul 16, 2011

Answers

5
Brenda Feria, Agent, Richmond, VA
Sun Jul 17, 2011
Barbey, I agree with Bill, you should sit down with your agent and their principal or managing broker.

The only way an agent can enter your home is through the lock box and the Supra Lock Box system records the time and day and agent information for each time the lock box is opened. The only reason that I am telling you this is because it seems to be a concern the way you wrote your question.

I am so sorry that have had this added stress to selling your home. Hopefully home owners' insurance company will help.

I wish you the best of luck.
Bill Eckler, Agent, Venice, FL
Sun Jul 17, 2011
Barbey,

Are you referring to a listing agreement or a purchase contract?

What part did an agent or the lockbox play in the act of vandalism?

If you want to be released from your agreement, the best place to begin would be by having a discussion with your agent or their broker and presenting your case.

Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Tue May 22, 2012
Be serious;
do you think that anyone could make a lockbox that a determined thief couldn't break into?

they say that locks are only there to keep honest people out.

do you think that you could win a lawsuit against General Electric because of this?
and how much would it cost you?
you did have insurance?
and do you think you can blame the Realtor?
Teresa Simon, Agent, Spokane, WA
Tue May 22, 2012
I am contacting a lawyer this morning to see if Supra isn't liable for making defective lockboxes that the general public are using under the premis they safe. I am tired of my listings being broken into.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Sun Jul 17, 2011
Sure, if you're lucky.

You can take the sign down, have the keybox cut off, hire another company, you can break the contract - but that doesn't mean that the other party won't sue you.

Bill and Brenda's answers are spot on.