My house is a raised ranch, garage door is in the back. Will buyers really think they have to carry groceries upstairs?

Asked by Heather, 64801 Sun Apr 4, 2010

Front door opens right by the driveway. (no stairs) I've talked to 2 agents about listing the house and this is one of their concerns. I'm not seeing the logic, I thought people were smarter then that. They're not seeing that a person can stop at the front door to unload the car.

Answers

6
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Mon Apr 5, 2010
Hi Heather, Jeanne back again - you are so right, fact is your buyer will likely be drawn to the same features that attracted you to the home. That is why when I talk with a seller about their home I ask what it is that attracted them and we highlight those features in our marketing. Because in fact, you really are right, your buyer will probably be very much like you in terms of what they are looking for.

I hope you find engaging with us here on Trulia helpful. I enjoy contributing so much and knowing that I have helped participants here by sharing my knowledge makes me feel great.

Good luck on selling your home!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Heather, , 64801
Sun Apr 4, 2010
There are several raised ranches in this area.
In the true ranches, many people use their garage for storage because the houses are so small. My basement is clean and dry. I'm hoping buyers will see that.

I've been told that the people before me didn't use the garage for their car. Having a garage was on my "must-have list"...for my car.
In my old house the garage was in the back of the yard, so I don't mind this set-up at all. I need to find a buyer just like me!
Jeanne Feeni…, Agent, Basking Ridge, NJ
Sun Apr 4, 2010
Hi Heather, a under grade garage entry to the home is often viewed as a negative by buyers - while the way you have lived in the home may be different, sounds to me as though the agents are being very honest in terms of buyer preference. This feature is not something you can change, so I would present the ease of entry at the front, and downplay the below grade entry, and stairs to the living floor from the garage. Some buyers will object, few will prefer it, but your home will sell....if you price it right.

Good luck to you!
Jeanne Feenick
Unwavering Commitment to Service
Web Reference:  http://www.feenick.com
Jo Kleinsorge, Agent, Joplin, MO
Mon Sep 6, 2010
Heather, most owners will prefer to park in the garage and then unload the car especially in areas where we have winter weather. I think the agents are just trying to be honest with you. Of course that does not mean that you have to focus on the negative. Mention the not step entry from the drive and play up the basement BIG time. As you know we do not have a lot of basements in the area and buyers do want them. In fact many would trade the main floor garage space to get one! If you are priced competitively, you will sell. If you still need any help please give me a call at 417-291-2025. I am a local agent here in Joplin.
Web Reference:  http://JustCallJo.com
Terry Willis, Agent, O Fallon, MO
Mon Apr 5, 2010
I'm wondering if the Realtors you spoke with were referring to the way in which the style of your home would be listed in the Realtor's MLS - as a raised ranch. Many Realtors and customers will run their search based on this criteria so your home will not even show up in the results of their searches - reducing the amount of your potential buyer pool.
Web Reference:  http://www.TerryWillis.net
Dan Chase, Home Buyer, Texas City, TX
Sun Apr 4, 2010
When I see raised ranch I immediately rule it out for that reason. I simply refuse to have to walk up 24 steps every time I want to get in or out of the house.

The best way to avoid that is to have the picture taken of the front. Make that the primary picture. Then it will show that the entrance is easy to get into. Usually I look at houses by pictures. If your picture shows a ranch that has an easy entrance it should not be an issue. If they show the other entrance it will be an issue for many.