My house has a contract on it. I was wondering what happens if I dont want to sell it anymore? The closing is the 12th of Mar

Asked by sdanhour, Fairfax, VA Wed Feb 20, 2013

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Pat Fales, Agent, Burke, VA
Wed Feb 20, 2013
Have all the contingencies been met on the contract? And if so, then you'll need to discuss this with an attorney to see how you can legitimately void the contract.
1 vote
Thank you, just needed a direction to move further. This is the first house I've sold, It's nice to have a kind response! :)
Flag Wed Feb 20, 2013
, ,
Thu Feb 21, 2013
What would you do if the tables were reversed?

Good luck,

Jim Simms
NMLS # 6395
Financing Kentucky One Home at a Time
Web Reference:
0 votes
David Confor…, , Vienna, VA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
As others have suggested, it would be best for you to contact an attorney. There simply are too many factors invovled to be able to assist via email. If you would like to a free initial consultation, please contact me. In addition to being a licensed real estate agent, I have been a practicing real estate lawyer for more than 20 years.
0 votes
I am writing on behaf of my son. He resides in Jeffersinville, IN. About a month ago, he impulsively put his home on the market. He chose as his realtor the same person who had served as his realtor when he bought the home about three yearw qgo. Within a short time, he received an offer for full asking price and committed to it. An appraisal resulted in changes being made to the original contract (eg. Seller no longer provides an appliance warranty). My son has come to realize that he and his wife do not want to sell the home. He has two children, oldest of which is in kindergarten within walking distance. I received copy of his contract with his realtor last night and noticed that she indicated she was working for both seller and buyer. In speaking with my son, I somehow feel that his realtor has failed him. Son is a good person, husband, and father. He regrets the current situation and is amenable to reasonable compensation to buyer, realtor. Does he have any reasonable recourse?
Flag Fri Nov 8, 2013
Scott Godzyk, Agent, Manchester, NH
Thu Feb 21, 2013
You could be sued by the buyer at worst. You should speak to yor agent and perhaps an attorney who can review your contract and let you know your options
0 votes
Roland Vinya…, Agent, Sprakers, NY
Thu Feb 21, 2013
This is what a contract is for - to make sure one or the other party does NOT do something like this. Yes, you can probably get out of it as it is very hard to force someone to sell who doesn't want to, but expect that it will cost you, possibly dearly. Go to a lawyer right away! He will probably tell you to reconsider and if you won't, will then lay out some options and possible consequences.
0 votes
Laura Ibanez, Agent, Fairfax, VA
Thu Feb 21, 2013
The realtors in this forum can only give you real estate advise and your question also needs an answer from a lawyer. The contract which was ratified is a binding instrument for all parties and you need to talk to: (a) your listing agent about your change of mind; and (b) a lawyer about the implications of the action which you are about to do. Please call Howard Birmiel, Esq. at (703) 451-4506; he is a real estate lawyer with many years of experience.
0 votes
Katharine Bi…, Agent, Springfield, VA
Wed Feb 20, 2013
Why don't you want to sell it anymore?
0 votes
Ron Thomas, Agent, Fresno, CA
Wed Feb 20, 2013
Do you understand the nature of a CONTRACT?
Maybe you should talk to an Attorney, (Realtors do not give LEGAL advice).
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in Fairfax Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more