Sharon, Home Seller in New Jersey

My father owns a condo at the Claridge House 1 in Upper Montclair. He currently rents it out but wants to sell do to health reasons. I know the

Asked by Sharon, New Jersey Sat Jan 9, 2010

market has dropped, do you think it will continue to? Should he re rent it while trying to sell? It's in very good condition, 2 bed, 2 bath corner unit looking out over tennis cts, ny city view, from patio. To sell it very quick, what price should he get? Thank You.

Answers

6
Gerri levent…, Agent, Upper Monclair, NJ
Thu Apr 4, 2013
The Claridge has a specific buyer pool , where the listing agent needs to coordinate their marketing efforts to the clientele who can appreciate valet parking, tennis courts, a pool, 24 hour security and beautiful New York City views. Marketing is key in this highrise community. I will be listing a corner unit this May, lets get in touch, if you are still interested in selling.
Erin Crawford, Agent, Montclair, NJ
Sun May 6, 2012
I am closing on another unit in the Claridge House 1 this week. Your father's unit would do well to be listed both as a rental and for sale. This is the heart of the season so whatever it brings now is as good as it gets. If you wish to rent and see what the market will bring then so be it.
Carl Ben Wit…, Agent, Upper Montclair, NJ
Mon Aug 16, 2010
Good question and good answers from professional realtors in Montclair area. Here are the facts as of today: 28 units for sale in the Claridge. The average timeon the market has been 120 days. They range from 3 days to 383 days. Prices range from $132,000 to $599,000. Four units are under contract waiting to close. And in the past 12 months 33 have sold after averaging 125 days on the market. All of this means, in order to sell at all, the asking price must be aggressive which means ahead of the competition. For a more specific recommendation, a visit is required. Call any time, and good luck in down-sizing.
Carl Witzig, Weichert Realtors,
272 Bellevue Ave,
Upper Montclair, NJ
973 746-1515 and 973 632-8583 cell phone.
http://www.CarlSellsHomes.com
Martha Kolko, Agent, Montclair, NJ
Sat Aug 7, 2010
You definitely need to start with a current market analysis. That being said, the market is down and the condo market is especially suffering in our area. There are some things that you can do to get it sold for the highest price possible. I do not suggest renting your property while you are trying to sell it. You want realtors to have easy access and tenants are not always cooperative and who can blame them because the showings are a major inconvenience. Sounds like a good location with views of the city so the two other factors are price and presentation. I specialize in selling estates. My services include staging the home and taking care of all the appointments so the seller has minimal inconvenience.
Web Reference:  http://www.MarthaKolko.com
Maha Kapager…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Thu Jan 14, 2010
Hi Sharon,

You can make a better decision with more information. A market analysis report can be run on 2 bedr/ 2 bath at the claridge that are currently for sale, under contract, and sold within the last few months to determine what the sale price should be for your fathers' condo. Same report can be done to determine what $$ rentals you'll get. Let me know if you'd like for me to send you the reports I'd be happy to help. I'm a REMAX realtor in Upper Montclair.

All the best.
Robin Silver…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Garden City, NY
Sat Jan 9, 2010
Why not have him speak to a few local realtors, and choose one to list the house. If your father is selling due to health reasons, I would imagine that trying to sell on his own would be difficult. He could have someone live there on a month-to-month basis, but if he can afford to not do that, it might help to sell. There is a plus and minus here; if you have a tenant in, they have to let any prospective buyers in and be cooperative. Also, the best way to sell a property is to have it look neat, clean and uncluttered at every showing. If there is a tenant, you would not have control over that. On the other hand, some vacant properties don't show well either. The view might be what sells it, so being empty might not matter.