My agent will not let me cancel my listing contract. He says he will but it's been several days and has not sent me the withdrawal notice.

Asked by Tiredoftryingtosell, Charlotte, NC Tue Jun 7, 2011

Answers

11
Debe Maxwell, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Tue Jun 7, 2011
Hi TiredOfTryingToSell (love the name, don't love what it means)!

As the other agents have stated, the brokerage owns the listing so, I would contact the Broker-In-Charge and request that he/she provide a Termination Agreement immediately. If your agent is an independent broker (owns their own brokerage thus, IS the Broker-In-Charge), I would contact first, the Carolinas Regional REALTORS Association, and then the NC Real Estate Commission if you don't get results immediately.

I hope you get this resolved soon.
Debe Maxwell, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Thu Jun 9, 2011
Laura, I can't comment directly below your question--wish that was an option here!

I'm assuming it's because I did take my answer a step further (or two) as to what the seller can do here. As well, I don't 'advertise' myself in my answers. I'm here to help and I've found that honest, helpful answers are more of what the consumer is searching, not my 'ad' in this space.
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Wed Jun 8, 2011
@ Debe,
Just curious as to why your answer received 3 thumbs up when you essentially said the same thing as others stated. I also noted that other questions you've answered had multiple thumbs up as well. You must really have a fan club.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty
Tiredoftryin…, Home Seller, Charlotte, NC
Wed Jun 8, 2011
Agent: will withdraw listing but can not resign for several months or pay marketing fee.
BIC: it's binding contract which they don't have to release me from and the agent can do it whenever he wants.

He's jerking me around and the BIC is on board. It sounds unethical, manipulative, and unprofessional.
My NC Homes…, Agent, Chapel Hill, NC
Wed Jun 8, 2011
Contact the broker in charge at the office and tell him if you do not receive notification that your listing has been terminated effective immediately by email before the end of the day, that you will be contacting the real estate commmission tomorrow morning and filing a formal complaint aginst both the listing agnet, and the broker in charge.
dave, Agent, Charlotte, NC
Wed Jun 8, 2011
Everyone here is telling you the same thng...Contact your Realtor's broker In Charge. Just becuase your agent will not send you the paperwork you should be able to get the withdrawl papers and sign them...Good Luck
Web Reference:  http://www.davedicecco.com
Kelley Irela…, Agent, Mooresville, NC
Tue Jun 7, 2011
I agree with previous answers suggesting you contact the broker-in-charge to get your listing terminated. Legally, it is a binding contract, but I don't think there is any agency that would hold you to it. By the way, why are you terminating the listing? As your name suggests...are you giving up on trying to sell for now? If so, have you considered renting your home? I am working with numerous (non) sellers that want to move on but can't sell. Rentals are hot right now and we are filling properties in a matter of days. We have a full service Property Management Division and we do extensive background checks on all potential tenants prior to approval. We also have an online web portal where tenants can pay rent and where we can make direct deposits into your account every month. We offer in house maintenance which allows us to provide quick service at competitive rates. Please give me a call if you would like more information about this. Kelley Ireland, Village Real Estate Group, 704-517-2811
Craig White, , Charlotte, NC
Tue Jun 7, 2011
As the other agents have said contact your agent's Broker in Charge to cancel your contract then give me a call to get your home sold.

Craig White
704.906.7899
cwhite@mytownhome.come
Web Reference:  http://www.mytownhome.com
Brian Haigler, , Indian Trail, NC
Tue Jun 7, 2011
I would agree. You should contact the other agent's broker-in-charge to let them know that you are not happy and would like to be released from the contract. Most companies will release you without any trouble.

Brian Haigler
Web Reference:  http://www.HomeWithBrian.com
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Tue Jun 7, 2011
Hi Tiredoftryingtosell,

Call his Broker immediately and let them know you've let the agent know several days ago you want to cancel the listing and he hasn't gotten you the paperwork so you would like the Broker to get it to you immediately.

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
http://www.RealtyBySR.com
Laura Feghali, Agent, Stamford, CT
Tue Jun 7, 2011
Hello Tiredof trying,
I suggest that you contact the agent's Broker, (his office leader) as ultimately the Broker is the individual who can authorize the cancellation of the listing agreement; not the agent.
Hope this helps.

Laura Feghali
Prudential Connecticut Realty