Must a 100-amp fuse panel be replaced by a circuit breaker panel in order to have home insurance for the buyer of a Massachusetts property?

Asked by tulipplus, Brockton, MA Wed Sep 12, 2012

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Heath Coker, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Sun Nov 4, 2012
There are some mortgage companies/insurance companies that object to a certain type/maunfacturer of older fuse panel.
This is based on my own experience with a home inspector indicating this problem durring a home inspection of an older home.
Ask your town building department, a local electrician, or your home inspector to name a few resources.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
0 votes
Louis Wolfs…, Agent, Needham, MA
Thu Sep 13, 2012
Who is giving you this information?

Fuse panels with the proper size fuses are ok. In fact they may even be better than circuit breakers. Some panels both with fuses and circuit breaker have had manufactures issues.

The only issue from an insurance standpoint is if the house has knob and tube wiring.

Check with your local building dept and the electrical inspector if you have questions, they are typically very helpful.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in Brockton Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more