Military PCSing from Temecula to Hawaii, upside down in house purchased in Sept 06 and we have to move. What options do we have to sell the home?

Asked by Chris Milne, Springboro, OH Sat Nov 19, 2011

Spouse PCS's Dec 2011, I separate from Navy July 2012, big pay cut. Intend to send family to Hawaii in August and not return to home in Temecula. Do we short sell?

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Faye Paschall, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Thu Dec 15, 2011
I have the answer. A short sale will do just find. I can still get you into a new home. Contact me I will forward you the information.
0 votes
Gilbert Ramos, Agent, San Diego, CA
Tue Dec 13, 2011
Hello CNT,

I hope that you are doing well. How is this situation coming along? I am a Broker here in Temecula and I specialize in Short Sales. Call me if you have questions.

Thank you.

Gilbert Ramos
La Costa Realty
800-817-4940 Direct
0 votes
Garrigus Real…, Agent, Redlands, CA
Tue Dec 6, 2011
Your options are to either let the home go to foreclosure, give up the property to your lender via a Deed-in-Lieu-Of or short sale. Obviously foreclosure is bad for your credit future, but many do not understand that a Deed-in-Lieu-Of can be just as damaging. A short sale seems to be your best option, and most lenders would approve a short sale based on your situation.
0 votes
Gilbert Ramos, Agent, San Diego, CA
Sun Nov 20, 2011
Good Afternoon Cnt,

I am a Temecula real estate broker that can help you short sale your property fast! I am a U.S Army Veteran, and I work with military families who are pcs'ing to Camp Pendleton and MARB, and they are ready to buy now. Lets set up a meeting at your earliest convenience to get your situation squared away!

Thank you.

Gilbert Ramos
(951) 551-0215 Cell
41890 Enterprise Circle S. 130
Temecula, Ca 92590
0 votes
Pam Fernald, Agent, Temecula, CA
Sat Nov 19, 2011
Check out the US Department of Defense Homeowner's Assistance Program (HAP). You may fall under the expanded HAP Program. Check it out at

I am a Temecula Realtor and would love to meet you and your wife and discuss your options in selling your home. I would love to help you.

Pam Fernald
951-775-7106 cell/text
Web Reference:
0 votes
John Arendsen, Agent, Leucadia, CA
Sat Nov 19, 2011
If you're looking for a good agent to help you on a traditional sale and have a few months you may want to contact, "Todd McGregor" <>, He's very good a marketing properties quickly and painlessly.

If, however, you don't have that kind of time and/or staying power you may want to contact "Melissa Zavala" <>, to discuss a short sale. She's probably the most experienced short sale expediter in the biz. Good luck.
0 votes
Greg Herman, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Oakland, CA
Sat Nov 19, 2011
Many thoughts here but let's cut to the chase. Selling short probably won't happen as the bank isn't going to be reimbursed by the government if you short sell. They only get repaid on the VA insurance when you are foreclosed on so the bank is highly unlikely to go the route of approving your short sale.

Being VA, your eligibility won't give you the ability to repurchase using your VA so a non VA avenue will have to be used. Unless you want to rent your home out to someone, your avenues are slim. Best advice, check with your Housing officer for options with the military. After that, find a good reliable rental agency. If you need a referral, I'll be glad to assist you.

Good luck, and thank you for your service sir.
0 votes
Felix Hung, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Sat Nov 19, 2011

Thanks for your sevice. If you want to sell it, short sale is the way to go. If you are sending the family to Hawaii in August 2012, you would not want to do anything yet. REALTORS who do short sales regularly can get them done pretty quick and I think your main objective is to keep your family in the house until you PCS and then sell it without much hassle. Let me know if you have additional questions!

Felix Hung - Veteran US Army
0 votes
George Raymo…, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Fort Worth, TX
Sat Nov 19, 2011
It all depends on if you want to purchase another home in Hawaii. If you plan on living on base or just rent somewhere, it's probably doesn't matter to you, but if you want to purchase another home there are steps you can take right now to make that happen. Any you have a small window of opportunity right now to do this. Then if at a later date you decide to sell that home or whatever you'll have already placed yourself in a better situation. It is critical that read my article if you decide to do a short sale.

Another option, depending on type of loan you have, (VA or Conv) you might be able to take advantage of the upcoming Expanded HARP being rolled out in a couple of weeks. If you do that, you might consider keeping the home and renting it out. So in short, you have several options.
0 votes
Gregory Cook, Mortgage Broker Or Lender, Temecula, CA
Sat Nov 19, 2011
Check with your housing office and see if any of the military programs will apply to someowne
separating from the service.
Otherwise short sale is your best option, and you probably want to get started on that now, especially
if you have more than one loan on your home.
Good luck!
0 votes
Ryan Smith, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Sat Nov 19, 2011
Hi Cnt,

You have several options. The military has several relocation programs you may or may not qualify for. Have you spoken to the relocation department on base? Also depending on the loan situation you maybe be able to do a short sale. Did you use you VA? Cal Vet? I have helped many military families get out of this situation, here to help if you need it.

Good Luck!
0 votes
John Wilson, Agent, Wildomar, CA
Sat Nov 19, 2011
If you are upside down in your home with a significant pay cut coming, a Short Sale would be your best option. You could re-purchase again using your VA in as little as 36 months after the short sale closure. If you would like more information about Short Sales I can help. Visit my website for more info

John Wilson
Realty World & Associates
(951) 609-5788
0 votes
Shanna Rogers, Agent, Murrieta, CA
Sat Nov 19, 2011
Hi Cnt,

If you do not want to keep the house as a rental - or cannot afford to, a short sale would be your best option. (As opposed to a Foreclosure). I would be more than willing to assist you if needed. Here is a link from the California Association of Realtors for more information on Short Sales:

Shanna Rogers
SR Realty
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in Temecula Zip Codes

Email me when…

Learn more