Me and my husband is separting and we own our house together.But I do not want to live with him.I would

Asked by Brenda Epps, Jesup, GA Sun Oct 28, 2007

whether live with the kids.How can I find something that I can afford in the Jesup area.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Ute Ferdig, Agent, Newcastle, CA
Sun Oct 28, 2007
Hello Brenda. I am sorry you are having marital problems. I think the first thing you'll have to do is come to an agreement with your husband about your current residence. Will it be sold or is he going to buy you out? You'll also have to check with a divorce attorney about what you can purchase on your own while you are still married. I do not know what the laws are in Georgia, but I know that in CA you can't just go out an buy a new house while you are still married. Once you have come to an agreement with your husband, you'll know how much you'll be able to afford and then you can start looking for property in Jesup.

From your question, I can't tell if your children are grown and live in Jesup or if they are minors and you want to move to Jesup with them. If your children are grown and live in Jesup, I'd ask them to find you a reputable agent who can work with you. Your children know you and will be able to select an agent who is a good match for you.
Best wishes,
Ute Ferdig
1 vote
ian cockburn, Agent, New Orleans, LA
Wed Oct 31, 2007
I strongly suggest as the last person noted, go find an attorney to best look at your options. Try and talk to your husband and see what his thoughts are, with the options as noted below and from your consultation with an attorney.

If you could "buy out" your husband, this might be a viable alternative.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Donna McClure, Agent, Atlanta, GA
Mon Oct 29, 2007
Good morning,
So sorry to hear of your pending divorce.
Definitely speak to an attorney first. Once you have a full understanding of Georgia's laws, then you can move forward. There are a few options you have: 1) sell your home and split the proceeds with your ex, 2) You stay in the house, re-finance and buy him out or 3) He stays in the house and buys you out.
Make sure you know exactly how much is owed on the house and how much homes are selling for in your neighborhood. The state of the market in your area will determine which option is best for you. This is where an agent you can trust will come in and collect that data for you to help in your decision making process.
Good luck with everything. You will make it through this.
0 votes
Carl H. Mart…, , Atlanta, GA
Mon Oct 29, 2007
I agree with J R...consult with your attorney wouldn't want your action to have an undesireable reaction. I also think Ute's advice is good too. So sorry to hear that you and your husband will be seperating...
0 votes
J R, , New York, NY
Sun Oct 28, 2007
Consult an attorney. You wouldn't want to be in a situation where you are considered abandoning your own home.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question

Email me when…

Learn more