Home Selling in 48220>Question Details

sweetpoetess, Home Owner in Romulus, MI

Land Contract - Taxes, damages, and no contact?

Asked by sweetpoetess, Romulus, MI Tue Jul 2, 2013

We are one year into a 5-year land contract. The seller has refused to respond to any of our letters, calls, or emails. She has not paid the real estate taxes as outlined in the contract, and she did not disclose a basement flooding problem. We're in touch with the tenant who lived in the house before us, and he has provided us with proof that he reported the problem to her.

What recourse do we have in terms of making her pay for the foundation repairs which will be more than $3,000, and what do we do about the taxes? She won't respond to any of our attempts to contact her, and I don't want to get into court when we have four more years left on the contract.

Help the community by answering this question:


WOW some of the advise on here is priceless... CALL AN ATTORNEY, really.

BEFORE YOU CALL an Expensive Lawyer read this...

Before calling an attorney (usually they want an upfront fee) visit link below and get legal insurance and consult with an attorney for free. (I use them for all me real estate dealings FREE consult)


Don't call a real estate lawyer first (save a lot of money and do one of the following)
1. if you have paid for foundation repairs deduct from rent with letter and receipt to landlord (per landlord tenant guide)
2. depending how delinquent taxes are...do nothing. CALL ME FOR more details.
3.get legal insurance and consult with a RE Attrny for free
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 2, 2013
Get a real estate lawyer. If you need a referral call me Delores Goodson 313-575-2336 at Front Page Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 2, 2013
Thanks, Delores, I will do that.
Flag Tue Jul 2, 2013
Lawyer. Lawyer. Lawyer. Oh, and get a lawyer. You should also probably call a lawyer too. Then, call a lawyer. Or, just call a lawyer. But, wait, first call a lawyer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 2, 2013
So, what you're saying is, I should get a lawyer!
Flag Tue Jul 2, 2013
Unfortunately, your issues are all legal issues. You need to act sooner than later by contact an attorney. They are the best to advise you.

Good Luck!

Karen Paytas, GRI, CMS
Real Living Kee Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 2, 2013
Your situation sounds like one where many additional problems could arise if not acted upon quickly. You have likely invested a large down payment into the sale and have been making payments, so I'm guessing that you already have a good amount of money invested. The unpaid taxes have the very real possibility of leading to a foreclosure by the county. Both parties lose should that occur.

You really need to seek the advice of an attorney. The consequences can be very costly, so it is not something that you want to take on yourself or upon advice from a forum such as this.

Best of luck to you. I hope that it all works out for you.

Shirley Coronado
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Jul 2, 2013
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer