Is it wrong to end your professional relationship with your agent after you have given him a year to sell your house and then to switch to a new?

Asked by Bill, Seal Beach, CA Mon Aug 22, 2011

agent and real estate co? My agent took it personal and said most people don't do that.

Answers

64
Tim Kunze, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Sat Sep 10, 2011
Does anyone else think 40 answers are way more than Bill needed?
Web Reference:  http://www.TimKunze.com
The Medford…, Agent, Fremont, CA
Mon Aug 29, 2011
Bill:

Bill:

I'm with Mack. It happens. HOWEVER ... having come in behind fired Realtors on many occasions, subsequently negotiated a serious price reduction and then put the home in escrow in a week – I know that the previous Realtors were seriously ticked that they couldn’t get the price reduction that actually made the difference. And rightly so …
.
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Wed Aug 24, 2011
I don't blame them for taking it personally - you told them, you're fired and I'm hiring someone else. Nobody likes to be told that!

It's not wrong to change agents, as mentioned profusely, people do it, and life goes on.

What really galls an agent, however, is when the new agent gets a significant price reduction!
Keith Jones, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Mon Aug 29, 2011
Hi Bill, It’s your home so it is your right to end the relationship. That said you may want to evaluate the reasons that your home didn't sell and discuss them with your agent. How does your house compare to the homes that have sold near you in the past year.

I recommend that you look at:
Price ( your call)
Condition (your control)
Exposure /Marketing (agent)

Several agents have pointed out that we do not know the specifics of your listing however I would be willing to bet that when most of these professionals hear that a home has gone unsold for a year they think" Price is too high". The market may be speaking to you.
James DeMar…, Agent, Fort Lauderdale, FL
Mon Sep 26, 2011
If your agent has been professionally active in marketing your property, than you need to have a sit down with him/her to discuss why the home is not selling. If all of the key list items have and continue to take place, ie; marketing, advertising, price reviews, etc., then your agent is doing their job.

May i suggest you sit down and interview at least two other agents to get their views on the makret in your area, their marketing strategies, etc. This will then give you some comparison and new perspective on your properties history and future.

GOOD LUCK....
Akil Walker, Agent, Upper Marlboro, MD
Sat Sep 24, 2011
Hello Bill,

I do not think it is wrong. It appears you have given the agent ample time to produce a sale. Did you receive any offers in that year? if so, were they what you were expecting? A lot of factors come into selling a home but the most important factor is the list price of the home. if you are home is priced say 50k-100k over your competitors it will sit on the market for eternity.

Did you feel that your agent was giving it maximum effort? Did you communicate your concern(s) with them? if yes, then a fresh start might be a good thing.

Laura Myers…, Agent, Scottsdale, AZ
Mon Sep 12, 2011
Hi Bill
"Wrong" is the in the interpretation I'd like to start off saying. Many agents have suggested the correct thing. Communication is the #1 reason the relationship is strong or weak. That being said, have you received it. If you have, did you reply as well. The communication is between you both. Make sure if you are having a challenge you have addressed it with your agent and inquired with your concerns. You should expect and receive regular updates on the progress of your homes exposure to the market, what the feedback is, can you work with any of the feedback to improve your odds of making it a sale and what trend is the market taking at the time so you remain competitively "in" the market vs just "on" the market. For example, a home is for sale going on 5 months, there have been over 200 showings (including open houses, broker tours and individual showings), there have been two offers, the home remains unsold. The contract is nearing the renewal stage....the seller ending their professional relationship with the Realtor may feel wrong as the work is being done, the thing we cannot control is how much you want for the home. The price is what the buyer is willing to pay. Our job is to get the exposure to as many buyers as possible so you have offers to negotiate at the highest they are willing to pay and you are willing to accept. If the seller remains the highest bidder then it's not anything to end a relationship over unless seller not willing to sell. On the other hand, if your Realtor puts you in the MLS and never is heard from again, end the relationship, you deserve better.

Cheers
Laura Myers
AZ Real Estate Consultants
Keller Williams AZ Realty
Christina Di…, Agent, Bronxville, NY
Mon Sep 12, 2011
It is wrong but why did they switch? Thats the big question,was this property ready to be sold?
Was is priced fairly?
How much attention did you give your client?
Pacita Dimac…, Agent, Oakland, CA
Wed Sep 7, 2011
The professional response would have been:

"Thank you for giving me the opportunity. And good luck to you."

Leave it at that.

After one year, provided that you listened to your agent's advice on pricing and preparing your property for sale, and provided that the agent has diligently marketed the property, there may be other reasons why the house didn't sell.

What WILL hurt is if you didn't do what your agent recommended that you do, including reducing the price....then you turn around, hire a new agent, and then act on those recommendations that cause the property to sell.

This happens all the time....and that's probably why the agent took it the way he did. He's been burned a few times under similar circumstances.

I'd say just move on.....
Gerard Carney, Agent, Spring Hill, FL
Wed Sep 7, 2011
No it is not, the fact is at anytime that you felt the agent was not doing your home any justice, you could have switched agents
Paula Wright, Agent,
Wed Sep 7, 2011
Bill,
It is a hard decision to make but sometimes you have to do that. . If your Realtor hasn't been able to sell your home within a year then you both have to look at things. What is the market like? Is the property priced right? Is it too high? Does it need sprucing up? Have you made upgrades? Is it clean? What is the drive up like? Is he/she having Open Houses? What type of marketing is being done? There's many questions to consider in this decision. But think about it. Sit down with the Realtor and talk with him/her. When a house has been on the market for that long there's something not right. Ask them what the Average Days on Market is for your area, then go through and figure out what you need to do. If you don't want them to still be your agent then make that determination and go from there. But remember, they have been working for you all this time for nothing. It costs us money to do all these things. So give them another shot and do some open houses and realtor lunches. Think outside the box! Do something different. Also, you should be BRANDED with a GREAT Brokerage that has a name in your area.
Scott Hulen, , 64068
Mon Aug 22, 2011
The agent should not take it personally, you are the client and they work for you. I would let anyone out of a listing if they are not happy with my service. On the flip side comments by Tanner in regard to agents being over paid, many are! In my opinion about 80% of all agents are not professional nor do they do a good job for their clients. The public needs to do a better job of hiring the agents to represent them. The way they achieve this is by doing research on the firm, the agent, their own home and the market place. A referral of an Aunt Bunny or Uncle Buck part time agent only contributes to the problem and brokers who promote this business model are just as guilty or more because they know better! A professional, full time agent can and will offer an invaluable service to any client in regard to the multi-faceted real estate market place.
Lance King, Agent, San Francisco, CA
Mon Aug 22, 2011
Bill,

Properties go on the market, don't sell, and then the owner goes with a different company after that all the time. Usually the reason a property doesn't sell is bad marketing, bad pricing, or some combo of the two.

The questions you should ask yourself before you relist are:

1. Will another agency do a better job of marketing?
2. Was my price realistic?

With regards to number 1, look at the photos, fliers, and marketing remarks that were generated for your home, then ask to see some examples from other agents/brokers.

With regards to number 2, did you listed to your agent on pricing?

Make your decision from there.
Tanner, Home Seller, Fresno, CA
Mon Aug 22, 2011
I have been there and due to my loyalty of hanging in there with her I have lost over $139,500. in my home. If I had it to do over again she would have been changed in 3 months. I found nothing she did to promote my home. She was a tipical agent that just sits back and waits for someone to call for a showing. I do believe there are more aggressive agents out there that really seem to hustle some. But mostly what I found is they just want you to lower your price to an amount that would be hard to pass up, get you sold and move on to the next idiot. It is a dog eat dog world out there for them. Real Estate Agents are one of the most overpaid professions I know of. They do very little, it is the Escrow Company that does all the work.

Hope you the best
Rhonda Carls…, Agent, Pueblo, CO
Sun Mar 25, 2012
Have you followed the advise of your agent in pricing and condition on showing day?
Has your agent asked you for price reductions?

If the answers is yes to the above questions then your home should sell if you are priced correctly. for a updated Ask for a updated CMA and List it at that price. If your agent is doing their job it will sell.
Kawain Payne, Agent, Seal Beach, CA
Sat Mar 24, 2012
Did you try to reduce the price or offer buyer incentives to help attract buyers?

What kind of marketing did you allow the agent to do? A year is a long time on the market. Were there any offers at all?

If the home was priced right, in good condition and your agent worked hard to market it, it is hard to imagine it did not sale after a whole year.

No one ever wants to get fired, but if you feel your agent did not do due diligence in trying to get your home sold, you have every right to list with someone else. That being said if you did not follow the agent's advice and allow them to list the home for the right price, you may have made it impossible for them to do their job.

I wish you success!

Kawain Payne, Realtor
Bill Crawley, Agent, Sun Prairie, WI
Mon Sep 26, 2011
There are only two things You can control to sell your house. (or keep your house from selling)
Those are Price and Condition.

By asking and answering your self questions like these you will find your answer.

Does my agent consistently, actively and aggressively market my property?
Does my agent communicate and share with me the activity on the marketing for my property?
Does my agent consult with me on the feed back from showings?
Does my agent consult with me on where my home fits in my current market, based on price and condition?
Does my agent consult with me regularly on price reductions to better position my home in my market area?
Do I follow my agents advice?

At the very least, you owe it to your self to get a second or even a third opinion then decide.

Good Luck and Best Wishes
Lenzel V Mark…, , Weston, FL
Mon Sep 26, 2011
Absolutely, an agent's job is to guide their buyers and sellers if a seller is unrealistic and will not adhere to suggestions give up the listings it will only ruin your reputation by prolonging the agony
Cari Ritchey, Agent, Stillwater, OK
Mon Sep 26, 2011
Dear Bill,
Honestly, sometimes Agents are ready for the agreement to end as well. Did you ever think about that?? I can not speak to your specific situation of course, but there is nothing worse than an un-motivated Seller.

In case you have not noticed... this has been a tough selling market in most parts of our country the last few years. REALTORS must be creative and work 4x as hard for the sale as before. However, it's not all up to the Agent... the home-seller plays a big part of the success story too. Hopefully, before you sent the Agent packing, you were able to discuss options or new success strategies???

The Agent and Seller must sit down at the very beginning of the listing process and have a "real discussion" about the subject properties PRICE, CONDITION & LOCATION. All of which MUST be balance to compete in today's market. The day's of sticking a sign in the yard of an un-staged home of an over-priced listing are done. They say "it's a Beauty Contest" and a "Price War to the Door!"

If both the Agent & Seller have been realistic all along, then their could be other factors involved that are preventing the property to sell. Perhaps considering a brief "rest" from the market then try again.
Best Wishes for a successful sale!
Cari R.
Derek King, Agent, Denton, TX
Mon Sep 26, 2011
As many agents have noted, yes and no. It is common for home sellers to change agents after no results during a listing agreement. Here are a few questions: Who set the sale price of the home? Did you price the home in direct competition with comparable listed OR sold homes in the area? During the listing did your agent communicate regularly, or did you initiate most contact? Did your agent give you recommendations on price reductions etc.? Did you follow the agent's advice on these reductions? You see where I'm going with it... Bottom line, agents can not MAKE a house sell no matter how experienced or well versed in sales tactics we are. That being said, if you followed the agents advice and feel that the communication was professional but still no sale, it may be time to move on. Good Luck!
Harold Sharpe, Agent, Menifee, CA
Sat Sep 24, 2011
Bill,
The answer is yes and no.
Expensive homes are difficult to sell.
Short Sale homes are a tough sell with buyers that come and go as well.
But then again you may feel your old agent was not doing all that they could.
I think after a year perhaps fresh blood is a good thing.
As an agent, I put it in writing if at any time you want to cancel you are welcome to.
I would not give anyone grief for wanting to move on.
I don't operate in Seal Beach so this is not a pitch.

Harold Sharpe - Broker
So Cal Homes Realty
(951) 821-8211
harold@socalhomesrealty.com
http://www.socalhomesrealty.com
California Department of Real Estate Broker License # 01312992
Michelle Yur…, Agent, Birmingham, MI
Sat Sep 24, 2011
Sometime sellers just get frustrated that their home has not sold. There is not too much in the sellers control except the price and condition of the home they are offering. If your agent has been active with you to provide you advice, answers your questions, markets your home in the most popular sites and basically not put you on the shelf, the change probably won't make a difference. It is more frustrating to agents when sellers switch agents only to lower the price to an marketable level that they had suggested earlier. Most agents know that some sellers just need a change and won't take it personal.
Cathy Kurvers, Agent, Chantilly, VA
Sat Sep 24, 2011
No, it's not necessarily wrong. I know it's a tough market where you live. So things to consider in your evaluation of your agent are:
1) Who set the price? If you set it with a certain dollar amount expectation, perhaps your agent needs to give you a fresh Comparative Market Analysis (CMA) to show you how the market will see your price.
2) How often are you getting agents in to show your home?
3) What is the feedback you're getting? Your agent should be following up with every agent who views it to find out how the market views your home, its condition and the price.
4) How often have your reduced the price?
5) How does your home compare with others now on the market in your immediate area?

You have the right to interview other agents and I suggest 2 to 3 agents. You may not sign a listing agreement with them until you have terminated your current listing agreement. In Virginia, for example, there is a form that requires your signature, your agent's signature and the broker's signature.

Tim Kunze, Agent, Huntington Beach, CA
Mon Sep 12, 2011
Jessica & Kevin,

Interesting that you answered this question and also commented on my blog (see: http://=www.trulia.com%2Fblog%2FTim_Kunze%2F2011%2F09%2Fmore_is_not… target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.trulia.com/blog/Tim_Kunze/2011/09/more_is_not_bet…).

Come on people! Bill's got enough answers already!!! There's nothing more worthwhile to be added. All you're doing is promoting yourself as opposed to providing useful input! How self-aggrandizing!
Web Reference:  http://www.TimKunze.com
Kevin Olson,…, Agent, Colorado Springs, CO
Mon Sep 12, 2011
It's not wrong, and in response to "most people don't do that" I would say "most realtors don't take a year to sell a home".

No matter what the problem is, it shouldn't take a year to sell the home if the Realtor is doing their job and addressing the problems as to why the home isn't selling.
Web Reference:  http://www.LiveInSprings.com
The Stevens…, Agent, New Paltz, NY
Mon Sep 12, 2011
The Days of listing a home on your local MLS and sitting back waiting for multiple offers are OVER! Its takes a savvy Realtor these days to market the home properly. There is a lot of competition from short sales & foreclosures and other inventory that directly competes with your home.

To answer your question; No it is not wrong to switch but what are you going to switch too? What are they going to do in comparison to your current agent/brokership?

Did your current agent do all the usual things an agent should?
-open house
-broker open
-caravan
-Mailings
-internet exposure
The List goes on...but no matter who you go with: make sure your priced correctly or aggressively (the lower the price point for your specific market the quicker you will sell) everyone wants a deal today and be creative with some type of give away to the selling agents, say airline tickets, a cruise for 2, something fun! You'll be surprised with the response. Good Luck and make the agent work hard for it, its a tough market everywhere!
Rhonda Carls…, Agent, Pueblo, CO
Mon Sep 12, 2011
Did your agent give it the re all? Did they suggest price reductions? The two main reasons a home doesn't sell is it is over priced , and isn't ready to be shown.
If your agent and yourself had good communication and a healthy working relationship, then Id say make sure your follow your agents advise.
if you didn't have that kind of relationship then its better that you move forward to another broker that you can have a great relationship with.
Web Reference:  http://www.RhondaCarlson.com
Brenda Noffe…, Agent, Wichita, KS
Mon Sep 12, 2011
Hi Bill,

I am Wichita, KS; so I know nothing of your market or your situation. I am sure you are unhappy that your home has not sold and I don't blame you. You have had to put all your plans on hold and that is frustrating. The bigger question is how good was the relationship during the listing. Were you communicated with regularly? Did the agent offer advice and recommendations to gain interest in the property? Did you digest that advice and act on it? Most of the time, the frustration of a home not selling is compounded due to lack of communication. You have every right to change agents if you are unhappy. I highly recommend talking to your new agent about what you expect as far as communication and address it quickly if it goes off course. You deserve the best. I wish you every success.
Kristi Ander…, Agent, Rockaway, NJ
Sun Sep 11, 2011
It really depends on different factors. Do you have a good relationship with your agent? Is the house priced right and shows well? Find out where it is being advertised and if you are getting any hits on the websites. Most of the websites track that and your agent can send you those emails. Also, how many homes sold recently in your area in your price range?
Rod Hunt, Home Seller, Farmington, NM
Sun Sep 11, 2011
One year is a reasonable period of time to allow a professional to do their work.
Aram Arakely…, Agent, Glendale, CA
Sun Sep 11, 2011
How does your house compare to the homes that have sold near you in the past year.

Price ( your call)
Condition (your control)
Exposure (agent)

I suspect you where the reason property did not sell. Having sad that, you have the right to change your agent, it is your house.

Aram Arakelyan
Your LA Broker For Life!
Realty Needs Network
http://www.housevaluecheck.com
Bryan Jamison, Home Owner, Georgetown, TX
Sat Sep 10, 2011
First of all, I think there are several factors here. If you are listening to your Realtor's advice, and it is good advice, then maybe not considering this has been a slow market. I think it is good to interview Realtors in the beginning to really find out how they plan to list AND market your house. Are they going to update you? How often? Are they going to host an open house at your house for sale? How long have they been in business in the area of your house? What price points of houses are they used to selling? How long do they initially expect your house to be on the market?

These are just a few of the thoughts and factors that come to mind. If your Realtor has a solid game plan, then sticking with them is quite possibly a good option. If not, interview more Realtors to consider and really find out what they can and will do different to get the sale done!
Susan Isaacs, Agent, Washington, DC
Sat Sep 10, 2011
Hey Cameron, how's the market in Corona? Things looking up?
Cameron Novak, Agent, Corona, CA
Sat Sep 10, 2011
If it's taken a year, someone isn't doing the right thing. This is not necessarily your agent. It could be that your expectations for the home sale are too high.

Get some other agent opinions of the situation (keeping in mind that they'll sugar coat things to make themselves look good).

I'm guessing you've been grossly overpriced, or the home is a short sale and your agent isn't an expert dealing with them.

Good luck Bill

Cameron
Corona Real Estate Agent
Corona, California
Neda Cox, Agent, Salisbury, MD
Sat Sep 10, 2011
Most Sellers will place their properties with more than one agent for one reason or another. As a seller it is up to you to decide if the agent is meeting your listing needs. I know my experience when listing properties and they do not sell the seller will withdraw the listing and list with another agent and then will listen to what the new listing agent has advised (which might be the same recommendations that I suggested) one that really does happen all of the the time is the price reduction. Never fails if they list with another agent they will reduce the price and then it sells.
James Byrnes, , White Plains, NY
Sat Sep 10, 2011
It is not wrong and if you are asking this question you probably already know it is time for someone new. A home that is competitively priced in urban areas should sell in a years time. So it's ok to move on to another agent, it is nothing personnel it's just business.
Melissa Zava…, Agent, Escondido, CA
Fri Sep 9, 2011
You probably had a hard time making this decision, and I am sure that you felt that what you did was in your best interest. Although I am certain that the agent probably felt disappointed, ultimately the decision is yours to make. Generally, most homes when priced right in densely populated neighborhoods should be able to sell in under a year. So, it is possible that this agent was not a good match for you. Good luck!
Susan Isaacs, Agent, Washington, DC
Fri Sep 9, 2011
Hi Bill,
You can probably answer that question better than anyone else. The fact is that a lot of homes are sitting on the market in depressed areas. You need to decide if your agent is responsible for the lack of a successful contract, or if it was the pricing, condition/presentation or other factors that contributed to failure. Agents spend time and money marketing a listing and they don't want to see it fail any more than the seller does.
If you had time left on your contractual agreement, the broker would have to release you from it. The broker might suggest trying a new agent within the brokerage as an alternative. Either way, be sure you gave the original agent a fair chance before cutting him or her loose. Good luck, I hope your home sells soon!
Carol Lee, Agent, Westlake Village, CA
Fri Sep 9, 2011
Hi Bill! No, it is not wrong at all. Unless you were approached by another agent while your home was still on the market, in which case that is a serious breach of ethics. You must do what you need to do to sell your home. And while we agents should take it as professionals, it does hurt to get "fired".

There are really only two reasons a property doesn't sell- marketing or price. Anything anyone can come up with is a function of one or the other. If the home is marketed properly, and it doesn't sell, it must be the price. There are things one can do to help it sell, without lowering the price- staging, fixing as needed, etc. That is all under the umbrella of marketing.

Talk openly with your new realtor, and listen to their advice! Good luck!
Shawna Niels…, Agent, Edmond, OK
Fri Sep 9, 2011
No it wasn't wrong. On all of my listing agreements I put in a clause stating that the seller or I have the right to terminate the listing at anytime by written notice. Thankfully I have never lost a listing. My sellers and I work together to get their homes sold!
Suz A, Agent, Longmont, CO
Fri Sep 9, 2011
The important thing here is to make sure you're not asking the same question again next year. I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and you felt compelled to go with someone new. But that is the business we are in. That said, you have every right to end a professional relationship.

If you dismissed the agent without going over what that agent thought didn't work, that's not good. We really can't determine from the information whether the agent had a tough row to hoe, or didn't market your home well. Was yours a custom home? Is the location less than favorable? Did you have the house ready to show, meaning did you spend time staging your home (clearing clutter, getting maintenance up to date, etc.) Is it a high-end home?

Of course, you can do a lot of things right and still not sell. If you didn't price your home right, then you could end up being frustrated again after listing with another agent.

It's very important to select an agent that you will work well with. You should interview at least three and make sure you communicate well. An important part of that communication is you agree on a strategy for selling your home.

Best to you Bill. I hope you have better luck this time.

SuZ
PML
of Longmont, CO
720 810 0683
Brenda Molloy, Agent, Irvine, CA
Fri Sep 9, 2011
Dear Bill,
No, it is not wrong to end your relationship with the realtor who listed your property for a year and was unable to sell it. Of course he/she will be upset as presumably he/she spent money advertising your home and time doing open houses for you.
Do you have any idea why your house didn't sell? I am assuming it is a standard sale so a year seems a long time to have a home on the market an not have it sell. Did you get any offers that were rejected? Was there much interest as far as buyer's coming by to view it? If the answer to these two questions is no then perhaps your home was over priced. If your home is overpriced, it will get very little interest from buyers.

When you hire a new agent, ask him/her how they will attract buyers. Any agent you interview should give you a Competitive Market Analysis which will show where your price should be. Also, a good agent will be able to give you tips on sprucing up your home to make it more attractive to buyers.

Hope this helps clarify things for you. If you have any additional questions, feel free to contact me.
Erica Michae…, Agent, Bonita Springs, FL
Fri Sep 9, 2011
No it certainly is not wrong. These things are part of business and if you feel like the job was not done well then it is necessary to do this.

People DO do that all the time. If you did everything from the seller side to accomodate showings( if it was occupied), listen to advice from your agent, and priced the property according to the true market value, then you should not feel bad about this. If however, you feel you did not give this property the best shot possible at being sold then maybe the problem wasn't the agent? Ask yourself...Was it marketed correctly?Are other homes in the neighborhood selling? If so how do they compare to yours? At what price? Are you targeting the right buyers? etc....Hope you sell soon! Maybe this time interview 3 agents and pick the one you feel you like best to relist!
Jason Galardi, Agent, Beverly HIlls, CA
Wed Sep 7, 2011
There are a lot of factors that go into this question but my gut response is yes, yes you should be able to let your agent go after a year. You will soon see that either A - your agent took the listing to "take' a listing and thought they could get you to reduce your price over time or B - you are not willing to listen to your agent and reduce your price to what the market dictates or C - a combination of both.

I see this all of the time in Los Angeles, agents taking listings that are grossly over priced just because they want a listing. It doesn't do anyone any good and it hurts the surrounding market. If I know that my client wants $2mm for a property that is worth $1.3mm, I won't take the listing and ask them to think of me in the future if it doesn't sell.
Sharon Paxson, Agent, Del Mar, CA
Wed Sep 7, 2011
Hi Bill - you have some good responses here. My question for you, why hasn't your house sold - is it priced competitively for the current market conditions? Has your agent talked to you and showed you comparable and recent sales? If that is not the case, and you no longer have a good working relationship, then it may be time to interview new agents.

Good luck with your home sale!
Lisa Cannata, Agent, Falmouth, MA
Wed Sep 7, 2011
In my opionion when a professional relationship has soured and the seller no longer has faith in your services it is in both parties best interest to do such. If you honestly believe that the original agent you hired has not done what has been required to sell your property or that they simply lack the zest required to actively market your home then you have every right to end the contract and move on.

However, that being said, if your agent has been great with communication, done everything you've asked for and marketed the property actively, then maybe the discussion should be about a price reduction on the property rather than a new agent.. As agents we can provide you with the best service possible, but if your property is overpriced, shows poorly, etc. sorry to say it's just not going to sell in this market.......no matter how hard we try.
Lizardo, Agent, Costa Mesa, CA
Mon Sep 5, 2011
It is very sad to come this far to break the relationship with your agent, but my experience tells me that there were many mistakes made, by the seller and the agent. Sometimes we the agents are not strong enough to tell the client that the price is too high or that the house does not show well. Marketing is almost irrelevant with all the technology and the internet, it all comes down to conditions of the house and price. Buyers have so much information at hand that they are very educated and can compare in an instant if they are paying too much. It is your right to fire the agent, but I will say, examine why it did not sell and give him/ her another shot.
Best of luck for both of you.
Mildred Vale…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Mon Aug 29, 2011
Bill,

Carl has a good point there too, price reduction is key as well. All great advice you have here.
Mildred Vale…, Agent, Bronx, NY
Mon Aug 29, 2011
Bill,

It's not wrong to tell them your changing Realtors or Brokerage. Just let them know how you feel, sometimes change is good and you might have another Relator in that area that has more exposure and has done more sales in that location. Listen at least your being honest, this is what Realtors face everyday and listen we get hired and we also get fired.

The Realtor might be better on the Buying end and now that they know the house so well might even get it SOLD!!

Best of Luck!

Millie Valentin
RE/MAX VOYAGE
Web Reference:  http://www.realtor.com
Sergio Herna…, , Naples, FL
Wed Aug 24, 2011
It is not wrong if you feel your new Realtor will get you results!
Web Reference:  http://www.golftobeach.com
1 2