Is it wise to add a roof top swamp cooler before I place my home on the market or let the buyers address it?

Asked by Traci, Denver, CO Thu May 21, 2009

Answers

7
Michael Krieg, Agent, Grand Junction, CO
Thu May 21, 2009
It is my opinion that you want to remove any negative aspect of your home. The fact that you have a brand new cooler will help create value to any buyer. The negagtive a buyer will feel about having to complete this daunting task after closing will loom large in their mind as to a decision on another property that may not need one replaced. You should be able to get it done for around 750 - 850 $$$. It will be a good investment for you to make before selling. Good Luck.
Esther Harns…, Agent, Littleton, CO
Thu May 21, 2009
Hi Traci - Many buyers have a preference of A/C over swamp coolers. Perhaps this is something that you and your agent could negotiate with a buyer during the counter offer period. It would be unfortunate for you to lose an offer on your house because of the type of cooling system. Buyers are using what I call CLAS to compare your home to others - condition, location, amenities and size. Since Wash Park is a coveted area already, concentrate on the condition of the home and I encourage staging it. Also, price it right at the "get go" because your home gets the most attention when it's first listed , and if you're motivated to sell, that is very important. I'd be happy to assist you if you have not yet engaged a listing agent. http://www.YourDenverHomeSource.com
or http://www.ColoradoResidentialProperties.com
Bob Zacharias, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu May 21, 2009
Hi Traci,
Although you won't get back a dollar for a dollar invested, I think it's a wise investment to add a swamp cooler. It's relatively cheap and the Denver climate is perfect for this type of cooling. Trying to sell a home here, especially in summertime, without any cooling system will be difficult: Buyers will only remember "that hot and stuffy home".

You could let the Buyers address it if they choose, and have one installed before the closing, but your real objective is to give your potential Buyers as few reasons as possible for rejecting your home.

Bob Zacharias
Bob@BobZacharias.com
303-579-6978
Chuck Strau…, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu May 21, 2009
In my opinion, it kind of depends on how warm your house gets in the summer. If it is sweltering, the home won't show well during the hot months, and this could negatively impact its value, more than the cost to install the cooler. On the other hand, if it isn't too bad, you might not have to install it now, and negotiate that item with any interested buyers. they may prefer central AC (if that is an option for your home) so may prefer that you defer this until you get an offer.

Chuck Strauss
Keller Williams DTC, LLC
720-318-7598
CStrauss@kw.com
Dana Schuster, Agent, Slidell, LA
Thu May 21, 2009
Hi,Traci:

please read the Trulia community guidelines. Duplicate postings are not permitted and may be considered spam.
Kari Wisenba…, Agent, Denver, CO
Thu May 21, 2009
Hi Traci,
Personally, I don't think this will be a make-or-break decision. However, this is somthing to consider if you plan to list your home during the hot summer months. Having a resonable temperature in the home for showings will be very important!

What are your plans for listing? If you would be interested in help finding the value of your home, I would be happy to run some comps in Wash Park. Let me know if I can provide any assistance!

Take care,
Kari
(303) 909-0906
Web Reference:  http://mydenverrealtor.com
David Janis, Agent, Boulder, CO
Thu May 21, 2009
Depending on the value of your home - chances are that if you spend $x,xxx installing a swamp cooler on your roof that you will not sell your house for $x,xxx more than if there were not a swamp cooler on the roof. Buyers are not looking at items like this when shopping around for homes, they are looking for the best value.

To get the most money out of your home landscaping and paint give you the most bang for your buck. After that make sure your home looks like a pottery barn catalog.