Is it possible for someone warranty deed property from "Joe Smith" to "Jane Smith" if the current deed is in "Abel?

Asked by Trod, Corpus Christi, TX Thu Jan 20, 2011

Jones" name?happened to me in TX Title being clouded by this issue therefore I cannot sell my home. The person who granted property has never been the owner or has any relationship to me as I am the current owner.

Help the community by answering this question:

+ web reference
Web reference:


Don Groff, Agent, Austin, TX
Fri Jan 21, 2011
Speak with the title company where you originally closed and verify what has possibly happened. From there you can speak with their Attorney or have them recommend a real estate attorney for further action if an act of fraud has taken place.

Don Groff
REALTOR | Mortgage Broker
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
0 votes
Bruce Lynn, Agent, Coppell, TX
Thu Jan 20, 2011
Go to a title company than employs attorneys in the office.
Not all do.
They should be able to help you or point you in the right direction.
There has been fraud going on in some places.
In some counties you can also request a fraud alert to help catch this.
Ask you tax appraisal district for more information on the alerts.
You should be able to get it straightened out.
Good luck.
0 votes
Steve Trubat…, , Corpus Christi, TX
Thu Jan 20, 2011
Hi Trod,
I would start by taking your closing papers when you purchased the house to the Title company that closed the sale. If you received a Tile policy when you purchased then you have insurance for the title to the property. Your question wasn't very clear, but if the title company can't fix the cloud on the title and they missed it, then you'll need to get some legal advise on how to clear the deed so you can sell the property with a clear title.

Good luck, let me know if I can help you when your ready to sell.

0 votes
Nanci Zimmer…, , Cedar Park, TX
Thu Jan 20, 2011
I think you should contact the Corpus Christi State Bar Association and get a free 30 minute consultation
0 votes
Guy Gimenez, Agent, Austin, TX
Thu Jan 20, 2011
This is the wrong venue for this question. You need to seek legal counsel. May or may not have fraud involved but only a competent attorney can help you find out.

Bottom line is you can't sell your neighbors car and Joe and Jane Smith can't sell Abel's house.
Web Reference:
0 votes
Ronda Allen, Agent, Plano, TX
Thu Jan 20, 2011
You know, sometimes we Realtors just have to be honest and say WTF?

Get with the title company and sort it out, dude.

0 votes
Mack McCoy, Agent, Seattle, WA
Thu Jan 20, 2011
Do you have title insurance? If so, contact your company. If not . . . actually, in any case, call a lawyer.
0 votes
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Home Selling in Popular Corpus Christi Neighborhoods

Email me when…

Learn more